View Full Version : Which network for unlocked Iphone

a_ukboy
17th December 2009, 10:22 AM
Ok, so im on Orange, i was just wondering what everyone else thinks as to which network's best for the best mobile around IMHO... So i've created a poll just for fun, base it on all round coverage, Customer Service, value for money etc..

a_ukboy
17th December 2009, 10:39 AM
Although im on Orange my vote has gone to Vodafone, simply for the £25 900 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data, i think that's unbeatable?? but think a move would compromise my excellent 3G experiance i recieve now??

I've also been informed by a mate who works in Vodafones IT dept that Voda will give iphone users priority to its network for data use etc.. I will see what info i can find out on this, but so far all i know is its won't be tariff dependent, it will work on recognising your phones imei number!!

gorilla
17th December 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm saying vodafone, but that's only in competition with 3 and O2. At work they all give the same dodgy reception (but I am in a basement :-( ) but at home and out and about Vodafone is by far the best. Their data speed isn't impressive but it is very consistent which does make the overall experince good and being able to stream BBC Radio via iPlayer is still quite novel for me!

Hands0n
17th December 2009, 02:00 PM
I have voted Vodafone because that is what I fully intend to move to come 1/2/10. Their signal is brilliant where I live and play, its not as good where I work but is a lot better than O2.

Today I have sat and watched the O2 signal go from 5 bars of 3G (but no actual data transfer possible) to 5 bars of 2G (and data transfer possible) and back again with the resultant loss/gain of ability to use the data. Its complete rubbish to have a 3G signal that does not actually pass data!

I'd settle for Vodafone 2G in preference to O2's poor excuse for a network.

Ben
17th December 2009, 02:07 PM
I voted Vodafone.

While Vodafone does not have the biggest 3G footprint of the UK operators (though I'm not sure that OFCOM picture from a while back accurately portrays their coverage), it does, in my experience at least, have the best performing and most reliable network. I'm fortunate enough to have 3G on Vodafone almost all the time (despite having almost none on O2), but even using Vodafone on GSM is a pleasure.

For me, the Vodafone Access Gateway also means I can have full 3G at my new pad, which has barely any reception on any network (ironically Vodafone is still the best).

DBMandrake
17th December 2009, 03:16 PM
I voted 3, because I'm using 3, but if I could vote twice I would have picked Orange as well.

Both have extensive 3G coverage, more than all the other operators in my experience, and both have quite fast 3G networks. (Real world measurements taken on my iPhone, not based on claimed speeds)

I do like Orange's integrated 2G/3G network a lot, (which the phone can switch between seamlessly) which means less dropped calls on the move than 3 (which can't switch between 3G/2G coverage during a call or active data session) but on the other hand 3 has much cheaper data pricing, is nearly always (in my tests) significantly faster than Orange, and does seem to have more 3G coverage than Orange, so I leaned towards 3 as I'm primarily a data user.

But if 3 went down the drain (heh) or Orange improved their Pay&Go pricing packages significantly (especially data) I would be tempted by Orange, and I think it's the only other 3G network I would consider switching to with the current state of the networks.

@NickyColman
17th December 2009, 10:28 PM
I voted Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media mobile or Virgin. . . .or whatever they're called.

I have only just switched to them but so far they have scored highly on coverage, customer services & value for money.

Its a shame they aren't as aggressive as they could be. The unlimited texts/200 mins for £10 per month is not to be sniffed at in this current climate! Or any climate for that matter.

Their coverage, which is technically -T-Mobile's is outstanding. Where other networks struggled, Virgin prevails. Constant 5 bars of 3G in former signal black spots and on the very odd, and i mean very odd occasion 3G isnt available I get a very reliable EDGE connection.

As you can see I'm really happy with Virgin. I've now been with every network (excluding MVNO's) so I like to think I know what I like from a network and as its stands - Virgin Mobile/Media wins! :D:D:D:D:D

chagle
17th December 2009, 10:58 PM
For me, I voted T-MOBILE.

Full 3G give or take 1 bar - Never ever got a 3G signal with O2 at home! Plus with T-Mobile I got.. 600 Mins, Unlimited Text, 1Gig Internet plus a FREE Family Bundle (4 other friends/family can text, call and send MMS's for free) all for £20.

miffed
18th December 2009, 01:58 PM
Putting my Vodafone SIM into my 3GS would be a waste of a perfectly good 3G radio - I might consider T-mobile at some point , but I can't fault o2 yet !

This is what I seem to get wherever I go ! whereas Voda invariably give me 1-2 bars of GPRS !

miffed
18th December 2009, 02:09 PM
For me, the Vodafone Access Gateway also means I can have full 3G at my new pad, which has barely any reception on any network (ironically Vodafone is still the best).

Can you "sell" me the benefits of 3G at home ? , I can see the attraction of having *some* signal , in the interest of not missing calls etc , but I can't understand why you'd want to route anything over 3G rather than wifi ? (which you must have , to feed the femtocell , right ? )

Ben
18th December 2009, 03:41 PM
It's more a case of 'If you're going to make your own signal, why not make 3G'. Sure, it'd probably be fine to just have a GSM femtocell, but it'd be kinda-pointless now that everything is going UMTS.

If I had strong GSM coverage there I'd not have bothered, as, of course, the iPhone routes any data over WiFi.

DBMandrake
18th December 2009, 08:49 PM
Can you "sell" me the benefits of 3G at home ? , I can see the attraction of having *some* signal , in the interest of not missing calls etc , but I can't understand why you'd want to route anything over 3G rather than wifi ? (which you must have , to feed the femtocell , right ? )
I can think of a reason - application push notifications and push email notifications don't use wifi - they always go via the 2G/3G network (even when wifi is enabled) unless the phone is in airplane mode with wifi enabled.

Because of this if you're on 2G, this background data access over the cellular network can cause missed incoming calls, also Edge and GPRS in particular are not very reliable for push notifications, so if you want reliable push notifications working and no missed calls due to background data access, you want 3G coverage even at home.

Leaving wifi turned off also saves a lot of battery - unless you are downloading a lot of data, in which case wifi on is more efficient.