View Full Version : Nokia Wireless Keyboard

Ben
7th June 2005, 03:06 PM
Since buying the Nokia 6680 my poor thumb has been taking the brunt of my obsession. During the first few days, before I wrote the full review, I actually bruised my thumb I used the damn thing so much. I've never pushed so many buttons on a phone in my life!

Anyway, to make extended use of Agile Messenger, telnet, email and SMS easier I decided to give the Nokia Wireless Keyboard SU-8W a whirl. It's about the same size as a medium sized wallet (I'll get some pictures later) and is finished in a matt silver metal with white rubber strips for traction.

Pushing a small button on one side of the keyboard releases the clam design (it squashes the keys so it springs open) and you are presented with 4 rows of keys. Yes, four - the fifth row, being numbers and special characters, is irritatingly shared with the top row of letters. To use this row, you need to press Fn (a light comes on to show it is active), and then press it again to turn it off. I'd have preferred just having to hold Fn down rather than pushing it for on-and-off, but it works. After a few tries I've already started to get used to doing it, but if I ever say to you "You moronQ" then I did of course mean to use an exclamation.

The unit takes two AAA batteries (provided). Pairing the keyboard with the handset was extremely easy. I launched the application on the handset (mine was preinstalled but the keyboard comes with a 32mb RS DV MMC containing the drivers you need) and pushed the power button on the keyboard. I selected to search for the keyboard, and voila - it found it. Then I entered a passkey on the phone, and typed in the same passkey followed by the return key on the keyboard. Done! Now every time I switch the keyboard on it immediately connects and I can start using it :D

The keyboard features a Menu key, a Messaging key, and keys for both softkeys and the central key on the phone. This makes navigation of the handset via the keyboard incredibly easy! The keyboard also boasts a pull out section on the left hand side which neatly folds out into a phone stand, with adjustable angle, so you can position the phone for optimal viewing while you use it.

The spacebar has suffered slightly, being in two halves, which catches me out every now and then as I hit it somewhere between the two, and quite a few keys, such as return and delete, are smaller and different shapes to what you would expect. However, I do have the fortune of being able to compare this keyboard to the HP iPAQ folding keyboard and can draw the following observations:

The Nokia keyboard has better key travel and sturdier keys.
The Nokia keyboard keys always make contact and the character appears on the screen - unlike the HP one with my iPAQ!
The Nokia keyboard benefits from having its own battery supply so it does not draw extra power from the handset.
The overall construction of the Nokia keyboard is superior, though the HP keyboard has a cleverer design.

I'm yet to see how much I'll actually use this device, so I'm not going to tell you all to run out and buy one - but it certainly does the job it was intended to do well.

Final thoughts:
Sturdy and stable - excellent construction.
Easy to set up and use.
Getting used to the Fn key takes a while and will slow you down.
Keys travel excellently and a fast typing rate, when not using characters obtained via Fn, can be achieved.
Duplicates the phone's softkeys for seamless integration with what seems to be every application.

davidlove
7th June 2005, 08:47 PM
Nice review, Ben. Agree that the Fn key is the only real annoyance. Actually, it gets worse - the @, £ and - keys are Fn-Shift, can be quite confusing. Yet it's a well engineered piece of kit. And I love the extendable "music stand" that supports the phone. Ingenious.

Question is, when is it useful? Everyone has their own take, but I tend to use T9 when I'm home based but out for the day, whereas I use the keyboard exclusively when I'm away on a trip.

Then again, maybe I have a secret craving for a laptop.

timothythetim
7th June 2005, 11:59 PM
Sounds good.
Does anyone know anything about this sort of projector keyboard? You plug it into your smartphone then it projects a keyboard onto a flat surface and you get a full size keyboard anywhere. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I saw it on Gadgets, Gadgets, Gadgets on Bravo. I tried to google it, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm searching for.

Ben
8th June 2005, 12:20 AM
Tada: http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1397

I can't really see the point... it's still pretty big, and you need to find a surface to project it on where as you can use a fold-up keyboard on your lap!

timothythetim
8th June 2005, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I can't really see maself buyin one, but I dont think I need a keyboard full stop.
I was just curious and it does seem quite a clever idea.
There's no way I would fork out 100 quid for one of them though, it's the sort of thing I wouldn't mind just "having".

Ben
8th June 2005, 03:35 AM
Definitely - it's such a 'wow' gadget that one!

I was using Agile while lying on the sofa watching TV this eveing, keyboard and phone on a cushion, and I have to say it worked very very well. Using Fn really bugs me, but there's something very unintrusive about having a phone and the keyboard infront of you rather than a full blown laptop or even PDA.

A few snaps as promised - the 6230 is just as a size reference.

timothythetim
23rd October 2005, 06:56 PM
Are you still using this keyboard? Is it still working well?
I'm thinking of getting one to type up notes while in lectures but they seem quite expensive.
How much did you pay for yours?
Cheers

Hands0n
23rd October 2005, 07:39 PM
@timothythetim - I used to use a similar item with my Palm and latterly my iPAQ for taking notes and minutes at meetings. It used to draw real stares as the others would be powering up their laptops, looking for spare sockets under the meeting table to avoid battery drain etc. By comparison, it took me mere seconds to unfold the keyboard, clip in the PDA and get the notepad app running. At first there was a bit of sniggering at the end of the table - but after a few meetings they got used to this strange sight and even looked on enviously at the sheer ease of use. Soon after more PDAs with fold-out keyboards started to appear around the table at meetings.

I'm sure that the experience with a keybaord and a 6680 will be the same. I could not entertain the thought of using the keypad [with or without T9] to do anything more than generate the occasional SMS.

Bluetooth will be the way to go - otherwise you'll end up like me, stuck with a number of keyboards dedicated to the PDA/Phone that you bought it for. But for me, such devices with Bluetooth did not exist a few years back.

Edit: Not sure you need spend £100's these days - check out this link wot I grabbed off Google doing a search for "Bluetooth keyboard" http://www.fonejunkie.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=BLUETOOTH+KEYB OARD&x=4&y=10

timothythetim
23rd October 2005, 08:13 PM
Cheers Handson.
I think I may well get one. I don't really want to take my laptop into every lecture. 50 odd quid seems quite a lot for a keyboard though. D'you think its worth the extra money to get an official nokia one?
I still would love one of them virtual keyboards even though they get bad reviews, but I thats hardly the most practical solution.

Hands0n
23rd October 2005, 08:28 PM
I did take a look at all of the BT keyboards in the fonejunkie.com link above. Of the lot I quiet liked the look of the one by Cygnet, even though it was the cheapest of the lot! Maybe 'cos it's British :), who knows? It did rather appeal to me. But you really must make your own choice ...... Distance sales regulations means that you can return the keyboard within 14 days

You can cancel your purchase at any time either before or up to 14 days after delivery by Returning the product to fonejunkie.com E-mailing us at [email protected] or Phoning us on 0870 042 3222 - please have your order reference number and delivery details to hand; It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must also be returned.

We do not operate a try before you buy policy, If you wish to return goods which are not faulty, You will receive a full refund excluding postage and packaging cost [Min fee £2.50 - Max Fee £6.50 dependent on our costs, for example next day service etc], and the cancellation is free of charge provided you must return the product complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any way.) All goods must be returned via recorded delivery, If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs. Any product returned damaged will be returned at your cost and a refund will not be granted

Considering the price of the keyboard - I was paying a similar amount for my earlier wired keyboards that are completely useless now that I don't use the Palm anymore, and the iPAQ spends most of its time in GPS mode these days. I think that the Bluetooh functionality has a ton of future-proofing, carrying forward to your next mobile handset [assuming it is another smartphone, Symbian or Windows Mobile].

For my money I'd avoid the Nokia keyboard. But then I'm a trained copy typist and the three-bank keyboard would drive me insane, having to shift for numbers and symbols! I guess it really is down to what your preferences are and what you think you can most easily cope with.

One more thing - These are great for note taking, but I reckon you should forget about any document formatting. Not sure about the 6680's document app, but best to port the document into your laptop/PC and format/finalise it all there.

Hands0n
23rd October 2005, 08:37 PM
NB: Cheapest Cygnet I can find is £49.98 incl VAT and delivery at http://www.eliteelectronics.co.uk/Cygnet_Bluetooth_Keyboard.html

I have no connection with this outfit or keyboard (no pun intended) :D

timothythetim
23rd October 2005, 08:49 PM
NB: Cheapest Cygnet I can find is £49.98 incl VAT and delivery at http://www.eliteelectronics.co.uk/Cygnet_Bluetooth_Keyboard.html

I have no connection with this outfit or keyboard (no pun intended) :D
Lol, thanks handson, I will prob get one when I save enough money (or buy it now and stick it on my overdraft :D)

Yssybyl
25th October 2005, 04:52 PM
I talked my other half into buying the Nokia keyboard along with his 7710 as I know that in a matter of weeks he will get bored with it and I'll have a free accessory for my N70 ;)

I've borrowed one from time to time and it is quite funky. As someone who can touch type it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to use t9.

It also doubles as a handy desk stand for video calls :)

Although, you can't take photos of yourself hard at work using the keyboard paired with an n70... seems to be about the only thing you can't do...

If you're buying a new phone and getting it from a Nokia shop you may be able to swing a deal on the keyboard...

Ben
25th October 2005, 05:18 PM
Are you still using this keyboard? Is it still working well?
I'm thinking of getting one to type up notes while in lectures but they seem quite expensive.
How much did you pay for yours?
Cheers

Oo hello!

I don't use it so much anymore... I've got my T2XP now and I literally take it everywhere. I think I paid about £70? :S

It's a fantastic little keyboard though. Like all mini keyboards, the longer you use it the better you become, but it's head-and-shoulders above the similar iPAQ keyboard I had.

timothythetim
25th October 2005, 06:18 PM
Cheers guys, I think I might leave it for a while. I took my laptop into a lectures today and it was ok (although drawing circuit diagrams was interesting). The hardest bit was trying not to play age of empires during the lecture!
I might get a keyboard later on if they come down in price.
Unless you wanna sell me yours ben, for a fantsatically deflated price...

Yssybyl
6th February 2006, 03:28 PM
I'm now selling my Nokia bt keyboard SU-8W...

available this week only on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9100946713&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I've discovered that I'm never far enough from my laptop to warrant keeping it :)

maxspank
6th February 2006, 11:56 PM
^ I would probably bid for it, if I had the spare dosh this month. Darn bills :D would also like to compliment your write up on the product details on ebay, wish everybody sold there products like that.

Yssybyl
3rd March 2006, 02:32 PM
My nokia bluetooth keyboard is relisted on ebay due to non-paying bidder... so anyone who couldn't afford it last month... now is your chance :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9110586648&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I'm guessing it'll go between 35 and 50 pounds...