View Full Version : Orange UMA for Blackberry devices

Hands0n
23rd December 2009, 09:36 PM
UMA, that is Unlicensed Mobile Access is the commercial name for the 3GPP Generic Access Network (GAN) standard. In the UK Orange is the first operator to have the ratified version of GAN in operation. Previously BT led the way in 2005 with their own pre-GAN version called BT Fusion.

On the Blackberry 9700, for example, when using GAN the handset displays UMA in place of the 2G/3G symbol. Therein lies the clue as to what this is all about.

Clipped from Wikipedia UMA/GAN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network#UMA.2FGAN_Beyond_Dual-mode) use is described thus;

The most common application of GAN is in a dual-mode handset service where subscribers can seamlessly roam and handover between wireless LANs and wide area networks using a GSM/Wi-Fi dual-mode mobile phone. GAN enables the convergence of mobile, fixed and Internet telephony, sometimes called Fixed Mobile Convergence.

The local network may be based on private unlicensed spectrum technologies like 802.11, while the wide network is alternatively GSM/GPRS or UMTS mobile services. On the cellular network, the mobile handset communicates over the air with a base station, through a base station controller, to servers in the core network of the carrier.

Under the GAN system, when the handset detects a wireless LAN, it establishes a secure IP connection through a gateway to a server called a GAN Controller (GANC) on the carrier's network. The GANC presents to the mobile core network as a standard cellular base station. The handset communicates with the GANC over the secure connection using existing GSM/UMTS protocols. Thus, when a mobile moves from a GSM to an 802.11 network, it appears to the core network as if it is simply on a different base station.

So, if you set up your Blackberry device to use your home WiFi network then it will automatically find the Orange GANC (Generic Access Network Controller) in their network and connect you to it to make and receive calls instead of using the GSM/UMTS airwaves. This all completely seamless to the user, there is nothing to actually do other than use the handset as normal.

Thus far Orange lead the way in Europe, it seems.

On September 25, 2006 Orange announced its "Unik service“ [6] [7]. The announcement, the largest to date, covers more than 60m of Orange’s mobile subscribers in the UK, France, Poland, Spain and the Netherlands.

Interestingly, UMA devices also include the emerging Femtocell - Vodafone in the UK are the first to offer a commercial product and we can expect others to follow.

And so within the UMA umbrella we have two distinct methods. There is the UMA-enabled handset as currently seen in a number of Blackberry handsets. And then there is the Femtocell that eliminates the need for a specific handset at all.

I do think that the latter is the way forward, and that it will make the need for UMA-enabled handsets obsolete and that will be the end of that particular line.

A useful reference is the UMA Today (http://www.umatoday.com/) website. Here you can read a lot about the technology. Also you can see the latest list of UMA-enabled handsets (http://www.umatoday.com/mobileHandsets.php), Femtocells (http://www.umatoday.com/femtocells.php), and Mobile Network Operators (http://www.umatoday.com/operators.php) who carry the technology.

UMA seems quite an interesting technology, exciting even. But those with capped bandwidth on their ADSL connections should be wary. It can be too easy to use up your data cap if not careful.

Hands0n
28th February 2010, 08:13 PM
Update:

One very helpful contributor on the Crackberry forum put up a set of instructions on how to manually configure a SIM-free or a phone that is not branded by Orange (such as you may typically get from Carphone Warehouse) Blackberry 9700 to work with Orange's UMA. The details are here --> http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/orange-uk-uma-help-363694/index3.html#post4244379

This wil only work if you are an Orange subscriber. Don't think you're going to be able to rip off Orange for free mobile calls :eek: In any event that would be highly illegal if even possible (which it isn't).

The salient information is:

Display Name: Factory provisioning
UMA Protocol version: UMA v. 1.0.3
Provisioning UNC address: unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk
Provisioning UNC port: 14001
Provisioning SEGW address: singlephone.orange.co.uk
SEGW cert: Equifax Secure Cert (public key type RSA 1024)

However you need to enter these via the engineering screen and this requires an on-line resource. Allegedly RIM is forcing sites down that offer this facility.

NB: It is really bad practise of Carphone Warehouse to be selling UMA handsets on Orange contracts that are not Orange branded and thus UMA will never work unless you go to the trouble of [essentially] hacking in to the Engineering mode, if you can find an on-line server to assist or the PC software that will do the job (hint: bbesunlocker.zip possibly available via some P2P means or the other). Others who have run into this problem have had zero support from CPW or Orange, the latter who will not assist with devices that are not Orange branded.

Edit2: If anyone is really stuck for getting bbesunlocker.zip then PM me and I'll try and help in that respect only ;)

Edit3 (30/5/2010): There is an on-line utility and instructions for calculating the code to access the Engineering mode here --> http://findmymep.com/
Try this first before trying to get bbesunlocker.zip, it does the same thing.

Alexanderjhon
26th March 2010, 10:22 AM
It is really bad practise of Carphone Warehouse to be selling UMA handsets on Orange contracts that are not Orange branded and thus UMA will never work unless you go to the trouble of [essentially] hacking in to the Engineering mode, if you can find an on-line server to assist or the PC software that will do the job (hint: bbesunlocker.zip possibly available via some P2P means or the other). Others who have run into this problem have had zero support from CPW or Orange, the latter who will not assist with devices that are not Orange branded. It's a really great and fantastic informative post here in this forum. I appreciate that very much. It's really fulfill the my and other viewers requirements very well.

Hands0n
26th March 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Alexanderjhon - Welcome to Talk3G.

I'm glad that you found the article and links useful. I have been trying to locate the hinted at utility (BlackBerry Engineering Screen Unlocker) for simply ages. Amazingly it seems to be as rare as Unicorn droppings. But I did locate a source of it on MegaUpload.com and now have a copy of the zip file myself. I'll have to try it out on the lad's BB if he'll let me near it :)

It is scandalous that CPW and Orange take this position - especially as CPW are selling the product on the Orange network with the full [corporate] knowledge that (a) the unbranded BB handsets will not work and (b) that Orange will not support the device. One has to wonder how close to violating Trading Standards (not "fit for purpose") or even the plain old mis-selling of goods legislation. It really is a poor show that the regulators should take a greater interest in than they obviously do.

jwfrary
12th April 2010, 11:08 AM
Handson is an absolute legend, all worked for me, now my phone fuctions as it should have!

Hands0n
12th April 2010, 07:20 PM
You are very welcome - glad to have been able to help.

Whilst I was dissing CPW for being quite a bit naughty in supplying unbranded BBs on Orange contracts I recently hear that Phones 4U are likely to be doing the same thing. Expect Orange to give those customers the cold shoulder also when the UMA doesn't work.

Personally, I think Orange should ease up a bit and offer help and support. They are, after all, getting the contract tariff so it wouldn't be that hard to do.

John_smith
3rd July 2011, 12:29 PM
Hi,
it's very great informative stuff shared here useful one for many others who needs this kind of stuff,…
i appreciate this effort,..
best regards,..

truckermilo
15th December 2011, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I realise that this is quite an old thread, and that things may have changed, but I bought a curve 9300 from CPW on Orange and I knew nothing about UMA, never heard of it in fact, but it just automatically connected itself to UMA after I had been messing with the wifi and mobile network settings one day!

Just a quick question, will UMA work on a T-mobile BB now that they have merged networks with Orange?

Regards....

Hands0n
16th December 2011, 07:54 PM
Hi truckermilo, welcome to Talk3G.

To answer your question it must be understood that UMA is all about your BB connecting back to the Orange network via your WiFi/ADSL home internet service when it is connected to the wireless LAN in your house. Or, for that matter, any WiFi network at all. All Orange-branded BB handsets should do this automatically, as you have seen. However, the CPW and P4U stores frequently sell "GSM handsets" that have not been software branded with Orange firmware and configuration. It is these GSM handsets that typically will not use UMA back to the parent network (Orange).

The merging of T-Mobile and Orange networks is not relevant to UMA. What is happening there is that when you are out and about, moving in and out of Orange cells, your BB will connect to Orange using regular GSM or 3G.

I hope this helps.

ifraser
16th March 2012, 05:45 PM
Hi truckermilo, welcome to Talk3G.

To answer your question it must be understood that UMA is all about your BB connecting back to the Orange network via your WiFi/ADSL home internet service when it is connected to the wireless LAN in your house. Or, for that matter, any WiFi network at all. All Orange-branded BB handsets should do this automatically, as you have seen. However, the CPW and P4U stores frequently sell "GSM handsets" that have not been software branded with Orange firmware and configuration. It is these GSM handsets that typically will not use UMA back to the parent network (Orange).

The merging of T-Mobile and Orange networks is not relevant to UMA. What is happening there is that when you are out and about, moving in and out of Orange cells, your BB will connect to Orange using regular GSM or 3G.

I hope this helps.

Guys, UMA is reliant on the Blackberry Software, not the handset from the and supplier/carrier, I have a Bold 9900 from P4U on Orange and as OS 7.0 from standard didnt have UMA I have been moving OS`s as soon as they were released, OS 7.1 is now the best thing from sliced bread and UMA works a treat.

Hands0n
16th March 2012, 08:22 PM
Hi ifraser, welcome to Talk3G and thank you for your contribution.

So, UMA is based on two key client-server elements; (1) the UMA servers at the mobile operator's network centre and (2) UMA-compatible devices (clients). The latter are not exclusive to BlackBerry but it appears that BB have implemented the technology in their entire range. Of course, the actual code in the handset is contained in the BB Operating System, but to all intents and purposes with a BB you are getting the whole rather than bits and pieces.

Now the key thing is, if the mobile operator doesn't implement UMA in their network then the BB device cannot make use of the technology.