View Full Version : Google Nexus One - Noise Cancellation Microphone #win

Hands0n
9th January 2010, 08:33 PM
There is a little discussed, rather under-played, aspect to the Google Nexus One handset that I think is so very important that it shocks me that it is largely ignored. That is the built-in noise cancellation technology that I have not seen in any other mobile handset to date. It really should be mandatory equipment in my opinion.

Here's why I think this - mobile phones have very sensitive microphones that are capable of picking up the sound of the feet of an ant walking across the lounge carpet. In most cases they are ridiculously sensitive. So when trying to make a phone call in a moderately noisy environment the result is usually the typical finger-in-ear-shouting-down-mic situation.

No more, not with the Nexus One. Its built-in noise cancellation is a superb rendition of the technology which, incidentally, has been around for simply decades. Typical of the practical use of noise cancellation is Autocom (http://www.autocom.co.uk/Systems/) as used by motorcyclists for bike-to-bike, bike-to-mobile and rider-to-pillion communications. If you've ever received a call from a biker travelling at 70mph (officer) to your mobile you may be quite shocked. The effect is as if the biker were calling you from their armchair in their lounge! It really is that good.

I first came across digital noise cancellation quite a few years back when the technology took up an entire shelf in a 19" rack. This was then reduced to a single card in the same 19" shelf, and eventually ended up miniaturised in the mid-90's by the likes of Autocom.

Very basically, the way digital noise cancellation works is that a DSP (digital signal processor) receives the input of two microphones. It then compares the received signals and clamps or completely eliminates any that are identical from both microphones. It gives priority to the signal coming in from one of the two microphones. All very obvious in 2010 but a real challenge in the 1990s :)

And so HTC have [finally for any manufacturer] done the "bleedin obvious" by incorporating digital noise cancellation into the Nexus One by way of a pair of microphones. One is in the usual place at the bottom of the handset, near the mini-USB port. The other microphone is on the back of the handset on the left-hand side below the camera lens.

As a practical test tonight I made a call to a willing punter - my eldest lad - armed with the Nexus One handset and a Black and Decker hand jigsaw tool. I started the call as normal, speaking to the lad for a minute or so to allow his ear to acclimatise to the specific conditions (mine and his environment). This is a good control to ensure that there is no confusion as the test commences.

After a short while I started up the Black and Decker, the tiny tool is very noisy, probably well in excess of the 80Db safe levels (it does make the ears ring after a while). All the while I was continuing to speak in my normal voice and volume. He reported to me that he could hear the jigsaw but that it faded back as my voice took priority each time I started to speak again. When I stopped the jigsaw noise came back to its painfully loud level. Again, when I started speaking it rapidly faded into the background where my voice was heard by him completely clearly and plainly, no distortion or overpowering by the ambient noise. This is excellent.

As a final control I made another call to him in exactly the same environmental conditions, this time using my iPhone as typical of any modern day handset. This time the results were profoundly different.

At the start of the second call [using the iPhone] my voice was again heard very clearly. But it was when I started up the jigsaw that everything went completely wrong. He reported to me that my the jigsaw totally dominated the audio and, when I spoke, that my voice was unintelligible, distorted and breaking up such that he could not understand a single word.

Now, I know that this was an extreme test. But there is nothing better than performing such an extreme with this technology because it is designed to cope. It would therefore be up to the specific implementer, in this case HTC, as to whether or not the noise cancellation would be effective.

I am absolutely delighted to say that in the Google Nexus One that HTC have implemented its noise cancellation technology 100% effectively. The average user will probably not realise the benefit behind the technology until they make a call from inside a noisy club, pub, disco, roadside, train station, airport and any number of other situations that we all take for granted.

Well done HTC. Very well done indeed.

Ben
9th January 2010, 11:02 PM
That really is impressive. How has this not been implemented on handsets for ages? And why are HTC doing it now? :S

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 12:15 AM
That really is impressive. How has this not been implemented on handsets for ages? And why are HTC doing it now? :S

That is a very good question Ben. I think we have all been very aware of how sensitive the average handset's microphone is, they can even pick up butterfly wing flaps :eek: It makes total sense for such noise cancellation tech to be incorporated. So why no one has done it before is a mystery.

Even more of a mystery is why HTC did it at all. Was it at Google's behest? And why would Google even ask for it in the first place? Lucky call?

A lad on one of the Android forums responded there to say that he has had a flood in his house and so they are running a number of large de-humidifiers that make quite a lot of fan noise. He goes on to say that people he calls on his Nexus One cannot hear the fan noise, just his voice.

I really cannot believe that no one else is making much noise about this at all. Are they missing the [obvious to me] point/benefit completely?

Will other manufacturers follow? Or will the Nexus One be an aberration.

miffed
10th January 2010, 07:56 AM
Hasn't this been in Nokia E series phones for a while ?

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 09:57 AM
Hasn't this been in Nokia E series phones for a while ?

*shrugs* :confused: I don't know. Can anyone validate this one way or the other?

Why would such tech be played down or ignored? I find it headline news! Or is it just my history with voice thats making it that way?

Edit: Okay, I couldn't put that one down :D I've been googling.

The E Series noise cancellation tech seems to have been introduced in the E55 in February 2009 - see here (http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/02/16/nokia-e55-unveiled/) and is completely played down

Sound quality is also enhanced over previous Eseries devices with new noise cancellation technology.
Thats it!!

However, it seems that the Nokia noise cancelling in the E55 is in respect to the handset's earpiece - that is, it tries to cancel out ambient noise that is usually picked up by the handset's mouthpiece and fed back to the earpiece (a design intention since early telephony).

With Nokia E55 you are extremely unlikely to experience any reception issues. Sound during calls is very clear and free of any interferences. It's not too loud at the loudest setting but it will do great unless you're in a very noise environment. Like quite a number of Nokia handsets, the E55 features advanced noise cancelling, which usually works quite nice to filter background noise.

Soure: GSMArena (http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e55-review-396p5.php)

But in the case of the Nexus One it is Microphone noise cancellation that is in effect. That is, the Nexus One attempts to remove the background noise coming in to its microphone before sending it out to the called party.

I think this is all very new for the mobile handset manufacturers. There is a short article dated Jan 2009 that states LG's intentions, but I am not aware of any LG handsets sporting this technology yet. And so I currently believe that the Google Nexus One is the only handset in general production that has noise cancellation built in.

Unbelievable that this tech is played down or passed over!!! :eek:

timothythetim
10th January 2010, 11:58 AM
I do quite a lot of DSP stuff at uni about this kind of thing (I've even got an exam on Tuesday about it!) so it's quite interesting to see it being used in phones.
I can't understand why it hasn't been used before either, because it really isn't that complicated.

Maybe it's because the user of the phone isn't the one benefits from it? I suppose you don't make a call and then think "wow this noise cancellation is great" and neither does the other person, because they don't know what it would be like otherwise.
The only way to be sure it did anything would be to do a test like yours, HandsOn.

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 01:38 PM
@timothythetim - DSPs are fascinating technology - and nothing new nowadays. They seem to have endless applications in all manner of kit. I hope you're enjoying the experience at uni with them.

I've been out of the DSP technology hardware game since they got these down to the size of a small CPU. But surely by now these should be either the size of surface mount tech or even incorporated in the main Snapdragon CPU chip itself.

As you say, it isn't complicated, and shouldn't be expensive to plonk an additional microphone in the handset. Its got to be cheaper than that front-facing video camera that no one uses ('cos videocalling is too expensive).

On the thread that I spawned on AndroidCommunity (http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f62/nexus-one-noise-cancellation-technology-really-works-30603/) there are a few replies where others have noticed the benefit in more real-world situations than my more extreme test in the original post here.

None of this should be rocket science to those that design and build this technology. Perhaps even at the corporate level they also do not "get it" as to why it should be part of the fundamental design criteria. Maybe, just maybe, it is a response to the BT headset manufacturers who are building this tech into their product.

Good luck with the exam on Tuesday :)

Ben
11th January 2010, 01:13 AM
If the E65 has it then it doesn't stop my business partner having to shout down the phone whenever we're out and about just to be heard.

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 07:43 PM
The tech is played down because its only likely to interest about 10 people, and 5 of them have been alerted via this thread. :D

Seriously though, while I can see the obvious benefits and it appeals to my geeky side, its also something I wouldn't bother telling any of my not so geeky mates about, as it would bore them horribly and they wouldn't be overly impressed. Some of the greatest tech available goes completely unnoticed by the masses, and thats what makes it so great, people have no reason to notice it unless it goes wrong. :)

Hands0n
14th January 2010, 09:23 PM
Perhaps, but right now I do not agree. The Nexus One has a distinct advantage against any other mainstream handset in existence today in that it will deliver a clear and quality voice call from any environment you care to choose. I would dedicate more than one small line of text. This is, after all, a telephone instrument and its users will almost certainly be making calls using it :)

But they haven't made much mention so at least I've enlightened 11 people - thats the 10 you mentioned plus your good self :p

Testimonial:

had to make a call from inside a datacenter, something I couldn't do with my old samsung blackjack. Guy on the other end said he couldn't even hear the servers - incredible!

Source: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/284946-post14.html

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 10:08 PM
Perhaps, but right now I do not agree. The Nexus One has a distinct advantage against any other mainstream handset in existence today in that it will deliver a clear and quality voice call from any environment you care to choose. I would dedicate more than one small line of text. This is, after all, a telephone instrument and its users will almost certainly be making calls using it :)

But they haven't made much mention so at least I've enlightened 11 people - thats the 10 you mentioned plus your good self :p

Testimonial:

When you take into account how many ipods Apple have sold, regardless of the fact just about every other mp3 player ever made sounds better, then you start to realise how little the average man cares about sound quality. I myself am a quality snob when it comes to audio and video, but I still bought an ipod touch. With that in mind stuff like noise cancellation while working great, generally fails to excite most people and is unlikely to be a factor in the majority of purchases. Sometimes its better to say nothing about the tech and let the results do the talking. :)

Ben
14th January 2010, 11:09 PM
The results certainly seem to be doing the talking on Hands0n's Nexus One! Seems silly that so many manufacturers neglect call quality. That said, Orange are upping the call quality on their network, perhaps it will once again become a factor of differentiation, like when things went from analogue to digital.

miffed
15th January 2010, 07:05 AM
I think the main reason Nokia don't shout about it on their E Series implementations is because it doesn't work on them ! , had it worked we might have heard a whole lot more about them.

Just got to check my calender , I have been sending my little lad to school all week , but recent evidence suggests another School holiday is upon us.

The Mullet of G
15th January 2010, 07:41 AM
I think the main reason Nokia don't shout about it on their E Series implementations is because it doesn't work on them ! , had it worked we might have heard a whole lot more about them.

Just got to check my calender , I have been sending my little lad to school all week , but recent evidence suggests another School holiday is upon us.

Maybe your lad can give you some trolling lessons when he is on holidays? :)