View Full Version : Bored with the iPhone !

miffed
10th January 2010, 07:46 PM
..And Android for that matter !

It's not so much that I am dissappointed with the iPhone itself , but its more the fact that every tom, dick and harry that I know have iPhones too !

In my house , my Wife and daughter both have iPhones (my 6 year old has a touch too) , at work , my boss and my other collegue have iPhones , my closest 3 friends all have iPhones, the majority of customers at work have iPhones
Now , previously , it was a bit of a hobby of mine to research , source and buy these handsets , then get the best firmware on them and optimise them with software . which sort of brings us to my very presence on sites like talk3g.co.uk . was a nice little hobby .... but now virtually everyone in the country has the same phone it has all but killed my fun in its tracks
...And Android doesn't seem a lot better ! The Nexus one is probably the "cutting edge" device of the hour , but I don't have to scour the internet for info , I just have to open the flaming "Daily Mirror"

......So I am tempted to have a go with Windows mobile 6.5 , Currently pondering the Touch Pro2 or the HD2 , simply to try and be a bit different from the mainstream !!

Hands0n
10th January 2010, 08:45 PM
Well me ole mucker, you could go for the HD2 - of which the XDA mob have an Android build that you could play with also. It has a very appealing hardware build, in my opinion. I'd have snapped one up if it came with Android native to it :D

I kind of understand where you are coming from. The iPhone has become a complete appliance for me. It is so darned reliable, does everything I need it to, and does it so well also, that I dare not mess around with it. I wonder if I'll go the same way with the Nexus One.

And that, in a large part, is what my buying an "old" T-Mobile G1 that is currently sporting the Cyanogen Mod ROM, and a very good one it is too. It has been interesting to see how he has developed it in his spare time to become a hybrid between 1.6 and 2.x Android OS builds. Also there are somewhere around a dozen other builds to play with.

I think there are rich picking out there for Android and Windows Mobile builds. I remain sceptical about Symbian and Maemo, and wouldn't trust Samsung with their Bada OS as far as I could throw a full grown heffer.

3GScottishUser
10th January 2010, 10:51 PM
Could Windows Mobile 7 be the Mobile OS biding it's time and worth waiting for?

I have Windows Mobile 6.1 now and it's definately not the user friendly iPhone experience but it does the job and has evolved a bit lately with more emphisis on the applications available which are still pretty sparse when compared to the range Apple offer.

You have to be a bit careful with apps though because many are not really apps at all. A lot are just optimised Internet sites for the iPhone which are called apps.

It's great that Apple have cracked the mobile Internet for the masses and thanks to them mobiles will never again be just devices for voice calls and SMS but there are a pile of hungry hardware makers (including a few ambitious companies in China) who have sussed the apps idea now and within the next 12 months I expect to see a range of devices that mirror the fuctionality of the iPhone and I expect Microsoft to be tailoring something special for the mobile user in 2010. They know they have to with Apple established and Google chasing the mobile market.

Ben
11th January 2010, 01:12 AM
I know what you mean, miffed. There's no mystery to high end mobiles anymore. That's a good thing, by and large, but Apple, Google and RIM have definitely taken a lot of the fun out ;)

People thought my 6680 had come from outer space. Sigh.

miffed
11th January 2010, 06:23 AM
People thought my 6680 had come from outer space. Sigh.

^^^ See this is (sort of) exactly the point !!

Generally people would look at my previous devices and say "What the f*** is that thing ?" and then be awe-struck by it's capabilities ......
....Where as now , little old ladies with their iPhones come up to me and tell me I should try this or that app out !

Great in some ways , but I preferred it the old way !

Ben
11th January 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm relatively certain that a new generation of 'elite' mobiles will emerge. That LG watch-phone is probably a good early example. At the moment everyone is 'innovating' to become the next iPhone, which is a bit pointless given that we have the iPhone and it works so well. Doubly pointless now Google has done its dance. But other companies will, eventually, be forced to stand on their own again and come up with new concepts, form factors, and, yes, functionality.

That's assuming that anyone can afford R&D anymore in this weird financial climate.

miffed
11th January 2010, 06:42 PM
...But who wants to wait ? :D

I am actually very taken with the HTC HD2 - and very tempted to give it a go!

In all honesty , I'd dearly love to be tempted by the N900 , but I am a little put of by the fact that no one appears to be raving about it at all , not even the Nokia "Die hard's" who were prepared to rave about a the buggy N97 ! Shame because I held a lot of hope for this device , but in reality I think its simply been the final nail in the coffin for my chances of ever buying a Nokia device again

The HD2 appears to have (courtesy of HTC) a level of slickness not seen before on Windows Mobile , in fact not seen before on anything other than the iPhone.

... I suppose I should wait to see what the nice Mr Jobs snnounces in a few weeks before commiting though :)

Hands0n
11th January 2010, 09:47 PM
I think that anything that Mr Jobs announces will be nothing more than an iterative update on the iPhone itself. Maybe an LED flash, removable battery to comply with EU regs, more megapixels for the camera (a waste of time given the size of the imaging chip), perhaps an FM radio (handy [not] as we're about to go DAB).

The HD2 is, as you say, a delightfully attractive handset. Remember, if you find that you really don't like WinMo 6.5 that you can always plop an Android distribution onto it :D

Ben
12th January 2010, 12:00 AM
Don't forget the Apple 'tablet', Hands0n ;) That's what I'm holding out for! You never know, could be nothing, could be a whole new game.

Hands0n
12th January 2010, 12:05 AM
@Miffed - here you go fella http://www.redmondpie.com/nexus-one-inspired-android-2.0-on-htc-touch-hd-9140338/ Get that HD2 ordered now :D

@Ben - Stoppit you. You know I'll get one, don't you? ... Or will I? LOL :eek:

hecatae
12th January 2010, 12:43 PM
Nokia N900, different enough to make people go "what is that?"

miffed
12th January 2010, 02:10 PM
Ah well , couldn't resist any longer !

HTC HD2 on its way to me courtesy of T-mobile :)

Ben
12th January 2010, 03:56 PM
Interesting choice, miffed! Looking forward to hearing how that one works out.

Re: N900, if by 'different enough' you mean 'bulky enough'... maybe ;) That said, I'm sure it's an interesting device, but the form factor leaves little to be desired. I think it's as much web tablet as phone, but then that's what its origins would suggest.

miffed
12th January 2010, 05:08 PM
Seeing as I use my iMac for most stuff now , and the MBA for surfing in front of the TV etc. I am very tempted to install Windows 7 on the MBA , and then see how the whole integration process is these days
Got a feeling I know which experience I am going to prefer, but on the other hand , things must have improved on the Windows front since I last synced a PC to a WM device , so hopefully things will be much better now.

getti
12th January 2010, 08:32 PM
Ah well , couldn't resist any longer !

HTC HD2 on its way to me courtesy of T-mobile :)

What deal did you get on

miffed
12th January 2010, 10:07 PM
Got it in Combi 15 I think its called -£199 for the phone , then £18 (inc £2 discount) Per month ,
Only gives me 100 txts and 100 mins + 1GB of web , but TBH that is plenty , I only really want the data ! , having a few minutes and texts available will be handy though , but I do have the iPhone for those

I am thinking maybe I'll get the HD2 unlocked , (if it all goes well) and maybe use the o2 SIM in there , and then put the T-mobile SIM into the (currently PAYG) Pulse when it gets its (rumoured) 2.X update.

Who knows ?

getti
12th January 2010, 10:28 PM
Wow thats a good deal. After you have had the phone 1 month you can call 150 and they will unlock for £15 unless you have another way

Hands0n
12th January 2010, 11:22 PM
You can also purchase official HTC unlocks from a number of sources on eBay. I have one that I've used a few times, and he's been dead reliable.

@miffed - nice one on the HD2. You'll have to let us have the full scoop when you get it, with pictures too sir :)

miffed
13th January 2010, 08:17 AM
Wow thats a good deal. After you have had the phone 1 month you can call 150 and they will unlock for £15 unless you have another way

Yes , I'm pretty pleased with it , Total outlay (assuming I stay in bundle) comes to £524 , I have not seen them SIM free for much less than that (about £490-£500 seems to be the norm
In fact , one of the deals currently offered (£199 + £13.50 x18 ) comes to £442 !!! which is the cheapest way to own an HD2 , T-mobile seem to offer this kind of deal quite frequently with WM devices , I bought my Universals and Vario at similar "less than SIM free" prices a few years back , strange eh ?

Ben
13th January 2010, 10:51 AM
I guess they get a very good trade price on the handsets.

miffed
13th January 2010, 10:56 AM
Perhaps little too good ! ...just got a mail saying they're out of stock :(

Suppose it is to be expected with the hype at the moment along with the good price

Ah well , just have to wait a bit .

Hands0n
13th January 2010, 09:48 PM
:) all the same, that is a really nice offer from a pretty good network also. I reckon it will be worth the wait, even though we are talking Windows Mobile here :D

Seriously, that HD2 is solid hardware!

Ben
13th January 2010, 10:20 PM
When are they expecting to get stock?

I'm waiting for my iMac to ship at the moment, as per usual it has begun to manifest itself in furious forum and review reading. So, good luck :p

hecatae
14th January 2010, 12:15 PM
htc are throwing plenty of upgrades out for the hd2 as shown on their website http://www.htc.com/europe/support.aspx

and Virgin Mobile now offer the HD2

http://bit.ly/6XgNxX

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 06:06 PM
When are they expecting to get stock?

I'm waiting for my iMac to ship at the moment, as per usual it has begun to manifest itself in furious forum and review reading. So, good luck :p

Should have ordered a PC, I ordered the bits for mine on Tuesday and had the thing built and running by Wednesday tea time. Core i7 is awesome. :D

Ben
14th January 2010, 07:24 PM
Should have ordered a PC, I ordered the bits for mine on Tuesday and had the thing built and running by Wednesday tea time. Core i7 is awesome. :D
Looking forward to the Core i7 quadness myself! =D

I'd rather have all mine shoved into a glorious 27" LED-backlit IPS panel, though, if you don't mind :D

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 07:56 PM
Looking forward to the Core i7 quadness myself! =D

I'd rather have all mine shoved into a glorious 27" LED-backlit IPS panel, though, if you don't mind :D

27" is just a bit too small for my liking, mine is hooked up to a 37" screen for extra awesomeness. :p

Hands0n
14th January 2010, 09:09 PM
Any advance on 37" ? Well, would my MBP's awesomeness count when put up on the lounge 52"? And I can't wait for the new laser light pico projector to come over to the UK (approx £250) - up to 100" of 'bloody hell-ness' in a box the size of an iPhone!

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 09:28 PM
Well it kinda counts, but since its not permanently connected to your 52" screen it only half counts. I have a monitor hooked upto the PC also, its handy for browsing the internet and stuff while watching movies or the like on the 37" screen. :)

There seems to be a lot of buzz about ultra compact projectors lately, wasn't there a phone announced that has one built in also? Be interesting to see what the next year or 2 brings in terms of price reduction and increase in quality.

Hands0n
14th January 2010, 09:38 PM
Yea, these Pico Projectors to give them their proper name are about. Up to now they've all used RGB LEDs. This new one from Microvision uses true Laser in RGB format and so its projection capabilities are greatly enhanced. They reckon up to 100" in a typical conference room with lighting turned down. See their product here http://www.microvision.com/showwx/

The ShowWX is due to hit retail in the USA in March 2010 and with EU and FE outlets later in the year. It has been over a year in coming, I first came across their website back in January 2009.

They also have a website on the laser pico projection technology here http://www.microvision.com/pico_projector_displays/ that discusses various applications of the technology, including built into the handset itself. But I suppose these could be a year or two away still.

The Mullet of G
14th January 2010, 09:50 PM
You had me at "lasers" I'm a sucker for lasers, I must have spent thousands of pounds on the things over the years, so I'm sold already. :D

I expect the use of laser over LED would make a massive difference in terms of quality, and the good thing is if they can sell in reasonable quantities the price will drop pretty quick, meaning we could see the technology used in phones that won't cost an arm and a leg. For a while it seemed the future was flexible screens in phones, now they seem a little silly and ultra compact projectors are the new way forward....now if only they could fit a holographic projector into a phone... :D

Hands0n
14th January 2010, 09:54 PM
Somewhere on that Microvision website there is a link to some videos showing a beta unit at various exhibitions and trialled by some tech website.

Also there seem to be quite a few ShowWX vids on YouTube - this one's a bit funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_SWM8F4tQ

Ben
14th January 2010, 11:13 PM
27" is just a bit too small for my liking, mine is hooked up to a 37" screen for extra awesomeness. :p
And yet I bet my resolution still eats yours :D

The Mullet of G
15th January 2010, 01:43 AM
Somewhere on that Microvision website there is a link to some videos showing a beta unit at various exhibitions and trialled by some tech website.

Also there seem to be quite a few ShowWX vids on YouTube - this one's a bit funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN_SWM8F4tQ

First they have lasers and now Dr Evil, short of getting sharks with frickin' laser beams it doesn't get much better. :D

Looks pretty decent though, would need to see how it performs in every day use as it looks like the room might have to be fairly dark for it to work well. I'll be looking forward to seeing one when they become widely available.

And yet I bet my resolution still eats yours :D

Pffft 1920x1080 is more than enough, besides with my superior hardware I'll actually be able to use the resolution I have effectively while your half speed RAM and stuff is huffing and puffing in my wake. :p

hecatae
7th February 2010, 04:35 PM
http://bit.ly/9E4Bux

OFFICIAL HTC HD2 EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY WITH KICK STAND - Specification
Overview

The battery life of your HTC HD2 is limited like any other device containing rechargeable batteries. You will notice that the battery capacity of your HTC HD2 drops little by little as you use it more. When the available battery time is shortened considerably, a probable cause of this is that the battery has reached the end of its life.

This official extended life replacement battery will extend the useable battery life of your HTC HD2.

An official extended battery for the HTC HD2, the battery comes complete with a replacement back cover (it does make the device physically thicker).

As an added bonus the cover has a kickstand that allows the device to be stood in portrait or landscape mode.

Features

Battery Type: Li-Ion
Voltage: 3.7V
Capacity:2300mAh
Manufacturer code: BA E400

now thats what you call battery life

The Mullet of G
7th February 2010, 05:30 PM
http://bit.ly/9E4Bux

Features

Battery Type: Li-Ion
Voltage: 3.7V
Capacity:2300mAh
Manufacturer code: BA E400

now thats what you call battery life

LMFAO about the kickstand. We used to joke back in the day about my old Philips BT Cellnet phone having a kickstand, it didn't actually have one but did have a large clip on slider, it also couldn't shelter 50 people from heavy rain, but that didn't stop us from saying it could. On a more pedantic note can it really be called a kickstand? After all I'm not sure if I'd class the HTC HD2 as being either a bicycle or a motorcycle. :D

miffed
8th February 2010, 06:08 PM
That thing is hideous !!

The HD2 itself is a thing of beauty , the pictures you see do not do it justice ! you really can feel you have a quality device in your hand , and the huge screen , slim design and small but low profile buttons that are easy to use - it really is a work of art
....With the extended battery on it's "offensive" shape remids me of the god awful Motorola A820 / 30 (the one with the "stick on" camera) - I'd rather carry a spare battery or a power chimp or something !

Not that I am having any issues with the HD2's battery anyway , Ever since the XDA I have worked on the principle that I'll be charging most nights anyway , Got chargers at home , chargers at work , chargers in the car - I can honestly say that I don't really need a battery to last over 24hrs . Lucky me I suppose !