PDA

View Full Version : 'Error In Connection'

3GScottishUser
7th June 2005, 10:43 PM
I have been getting this error message when using my Nokia 7600 on 3.

Does anyone know what that means?

It shows up after the thing drops calls and regularly stops me making voice calls.

Do other Nokias do this on 3? Has anyone else seen this error? 3 have not been able to provide any credible explanation (Mumbai) so I'm hoping some of you will be able to enlighten me.

timothythetim
7th June 2005, 11:56 PM
I think I've got that once on my 6680 on three...

Ben
8th June 2005, 12:22 AM
I've never ever had that error on a Nokia... 3 specific or something maybe? :S Perhaps it's data related... do you have it set to maintain a data connection where available for faster data connection initiation?

3g-g
8th June 2005, 12:31 AM
As far as I'm aware it can occur from a lack of capacity on the RAB (Radio Access Bearer) of the cell you're connected to/trying to connect to or down to poor interconnections. Is it on any specific type of call, e.g. Three -> Three, or X-Net, or Three -> Landline...

I've never seen it displayed after dropping a call, however if you're moving about and it can't hand into a cell with enough capacity etc I supose it could happen. I've had it occur a few times on my 6650 while trying to initiate calls. Never with data, and it seemed to be inter-network calls that it happened on if I remember correctly, hasn't happened in months and months, in fact, it was when Orange hadn't even launched the UMTS side of the network publicly!

3GScottishUser
8th June 2005, 06:25 AM
Over the last month or so its been happening a lot to me on 3 when trying to call landlines and other mobiles. It is interesting that it seeems to be something other than the usual 3 call dropping issue.

It is very frustrating when dialing numbers from your contact list and getting 'eror in connection' for multiple attempts then get through! As i said 3 CS have no idea what this is about (or maybe they do and won't say) but this is something that is making the limited use of the 3 network even more annoying.

bsrjl1
8th June 2005, 12:35 PM
"Error in Connection" shows that you've been able to setup a RLC but not then establish a corresponding RAB. If the cell was too busy & the call wasn't allowed due to access control you'd see "Network Busy".

Have you got v4.05 SW on your 7600? 4.06 was never released in Europe, then development stopped. Could be a slight problem between new BTS SW & your phone SW?

3g-g
8th June 2005, 02:16 PM
Why would the WBTS SW have any interaction with the handset? The WBTS only acts to demod, decode the signal and send it on. WBTS SW updates occur on a regular basis, if there were conflicts between these surely there'd be hundreds of users having problems as different versions of WBTS and HS SW clashed?

If the RNC and BTS have some sort of issue with the ATM cells not being addressed or routed properly then surely this is what would cause an error. Nokia WBTS are far too over engineered, they've been pretty shaky IMO.

bsrjl1
9th June 2005, 09:14 AM
V4.05 of 7600 SW changed most of the radio stack on the handset, especially 3G Inter-Frequency performance (previously a bit of a bodge, now fully 3GPP compliant). I've got a Mango with much older SW (3.01 I think) which really struggles in a two (or three) frequency network. But it's got Netmonitor, so I haven't bothered to update it.

The WBTS does a lot more that 'demod, decode the signal & send it on'. Yes it has been too over engineered - too many features, and now they're having to work on the stability.