View Full Version : Will Windows Mobile 7 launch at GSMA?

Ben
29th January 2010, 03:41 PM
"Microsoft has dropped its strongest hint yet that it could take the wraps off its new Windows Mobile 7 platform at next month’s GSMA Mobile World Congress. On an earnings call yesterday, Microsoft CFO Peter Klein said that the software giant was “working very hard on the next version of Windows Mobile [and we] will be talking more about that in Barcelona in a few weeks.” Bill Koefoed, Microsoft’s IR manager, had earlier told analysts that the firm “continues to make progress in the mobile space and you will hear more about that at Mobile World Congress in February.” The firm gave no further details but recent speculation has suggested that Microsoft is planning two versions of the long-awaited Windows Mobile 7; a ‘Business’ edition – reportedly a basic version of the operating system based on Microsoft Office – and a feature-packed ‘Media’ version. Other reports suggest that Microsoft may simply use Barcelona to launch Windows Mobile 6.6, a minor update to the current platform. It is also rumoured to be launching its own-branded smartphone based on its Zune music service, although the company has always denied such a move. Microsoft has a press conference scheduled for the first day at Congress, where major announcements are expected to be made.

Microsoft reported a 60 percent increase in profit for its fiscal second quarter yesterday, helped by strong early sales for the PC version of Windows 7, which launched last October. Net profit for the quarter ended December 2009 was US$6.7 billion, or 74 cents per share, compared to US$4.2 billion, or 47 cents per share, a year ago. Revenue rose 14 percent to US$19.02 billion (including US$1.71 billion of deferred revenue from the Windows 7 launch). Unconfirmed reports suggest that Microsoft is looking to combine the PC version of Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 7 into one brand, which may mean it will drop the ‘Windows Mobile’ brand and replace it with simply ‘Seven’ for the (rumoured) launch of the new mobile platform next month."

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/microsoft-hints-at-windows-mobile-7-launch-in-barcelona

Microsoft surely realise the power of the "7" brand after the success achieved by Windows 7 in reversing their core computer operating system fortunes after the Vista debacle. However, they must appreciate that Windows Mobile 7 cannot simply trade off the back of that success. I sincerely hope that Microsoft is able to present a challenger to the iPhone OS and Android at GSMA.

miffed
29th January 2010, 08:35 PM
I am more than a little sceptical here !

I am probably the biggest Windows Mobile advocate on the Talk3G , and before the iPhone , when most were singing the praises of Nokia Symbian I was the one shouting for Windows Mobile - I have lost count of the number of top end WM devices I have owned , and I really did like most of them

....But even I admit the OS never seemed to change much ! , from the Poclet PC 2002 days right up till (where I left of) WM6 , each upgrade had shown very little in terms of "progress" over the previous offering - (not a problem for me ! I like the old versions too , so no skin off my nose !)

...But in terms of winning over the fans of the other available platforms , Microsoft never seemed to do enough to win them over

.....Fastforward to 2010 , Windows 7 has gone down well , not sure whether it is by design or accident , but Microsoft appear to have got something right in Windows 7 and actually pleased the crowds , Well done , Fairplay to them !

But I am not sure how this has led to the assumption that the latest "tart up" of WM is going to be as much a reviolution ?

I suppose it will be hard to tell , as pretty much all of WM6 onwards has been hidden behind HTC's front ends wherever possible ?

I just find it hard to believe that Microsoft , having failed to impress the mainstream with the last 5 updates (ppc2003 , WM5 ,WM6 , WM6.1, WM6.5 ) .... are suddenly going to set the world on fire with WM7 , ...... simply because it has a similar sounding name to a product that is better than their last one !! (lets face it , a lot of Windows 7's success is down to Vista being a crock of crap , it is simply what Vista should have been !)

I sincerely hope WM7 is good (especially as rumour has it that the HD2 will get an upgrade !!) , but I think a dose of realism needs to be applied here !

Hands0n
30th January 2010, 08:50 AM
I think that we all need to see something 'new' from Microsoft's mobile operating system. Windows 6.x is dated in the same way that [on desktops] XP was to Windows 7. And so Windows Mobile 7 (WM7) has got to be as radically different, and with the same bonus of functionality and performance increases that are apparent on the desktop OS.

I'm not sceptical, Microsoft have shown themselves able and, more importantly, willing to emulate other OS to improve the experience. They have seen what the likes of HTC have done to overlay Windows very effectively, that cannot have escaped them. My thinking is that Microsoft will take these 'hints' on board and make WM7 something radically different.

3GScottishUser
30th January 2010, 09:30 AM
I think Microsoft will be holding fire with Windows Mobile 7 until they have something radical to offer. Windows 7 has full touch screen fuctionality and I suspect they will want the mobile version to offer a seamless user experience.

Windows Mobile is a bit clunky and resource hungry now and that needs attention although as a major Windows user I find 6.1 familiar and can't think of anything I have seen on other mobile OS that I would be desparate to change to.

Lets hope Windows 7 mobile is a leap forward as there is a genuine need for something else to arrive on the market that will drive down the cost of smartphones.

hecatae
7th February 2010, 04:40 PM
Windows Mobile 7 at MWC (Possible Feature List?)
06 Feb 2010 - Windows Phones - By Dan Carter

-The User Interface is based upon codename “METRO”. It will be very similar to the Zune HD User Interface with a complete revamp of the “Start” screen. The UI is “Very Clean”, “Soulful” and “Alive”

-Unfortunately there will be no Flash support at the get go as there was not enough time to implement these features.

-Windows Phone 7 will only support application installation through service based delivery. (i.e Marketplace). Application installation via storage card will not be possible.

- No Multi-Task support. Applications will “Pause” when in the background, however will support notifications via push notifications.

-Marketplace will now support “try before you buy” as well as an API

-No NETCF backwards compatibility. This means the original rumor of no backward compatibility for applications holds to be true. That being said, there are high hopes of porting the NetCF to the newer platform easily.

-Microsoft is confident that devices will be ready by September 2010

-Full Zune Integration

-Windows Mobile Device Center will no longer be used. Zune software to take over syncing via PC.
-OEM Interfaces will not be allowed to run on the device. Say goodbye to Sense UI / SPB Mobile Shell / Point UI / Infinity, etc, etc

-Full XBOX Gaming Integration (Gamer tag, achievements, friends, avatars, merchandising, etc)

-Full support for social networking

http://bit.ly/b9BTvK

Hands0n
7th February 2010, 04:45 PM
"No multi-task support" - hmmm, I wonder how that will go down with The Register readers :D

The Mullet of G
7th February 2010, 05:17 PM
I'm calling shenanigans on that feature list, I lol'd as I read it, sorry I'm not convinced thats even remotely genuine.

Hands0n
7th February 2010, 05:25 PM
Why not? Even Maemo couldn't do MMS when it first arrived (can it yet?). But we didn't hear half the commotion that we did about that other trend-setting smartphone that everyone loves to hate. So yes, it is true, until M$ prove otherwise. So there.

The Mullet of G
7th February 2010, 05:46 PM
Well if I was going to write a fake list of features to use as a rod to beat Windows Mobile 7, then thats pretty much the list I would have written. There is the obvious cues to it not being able to do anything iPhone can't ie multitasking and no flash, and you can only install apps via an iTunes style setup. Unless Microsoft are blatantly trying to build an iPhone clone, then sorry I'm not even slightly convinced. :)

Also wasn't Maemo the evolution of an OS that had no need for MMS? Windows Mobile 7 is the evolution of an OS that had most of the features that its now going to lack, thats not moving forward, thats backwards. :)

Hands0n
7th February 2010, 05:50 PM
M$ do seem to have been on a copycat programme with Windows 7 so it may well be a natural extension for them to be doing that with their mobile OS :D

hecatae
7th February 2010, 06:35 PM
same limitations apply to the xbox360, only software via the marketplace or approved dvds

The Mullet of G
7th February 2010, 06:48 PM
M$ do seem to have been on a copycat programme with Windows 7 so it may well be a natural extension for them to be doing that with their mobile OS :D

If by copying you mean they copied themselves and made improvements, then totally. :D

same limitations apply to the xbox360, only software via the marketplace or approved dvds

Its a games console, its OS is meant to be basic and restrictive, otherwise piracy would be even more rife than it is now. When you release a games console you tend to make most of your money on software, often taking a loss on the hardware, so it makes sense to safeguard that revenue stream by stopping people from running unsigned code, this has been the way since games consoles were invented.

miffed
7th February 2010, 06:52 PM
OMG !!

OEM Interfaces will not be allowed to run on the device. Say goodbye to Sense UI / SPB Mobile Shell / Point UI / Infinity, etc, etc"

...Nothing quite like biting the hand that feeds ?!

Surely this must be a joke ? The iPhone hate brigade's whole case has been based on the principle that the world revolves around Flash & Multi-tasking !