View Full Version : To 3G or not to 3G ? That is the question ...

miffed
3rd February 2010, 09:12 AM
Sounds bizarre (considering the nature of our presence here ) , but I am considering the non-3G version of the iPad to be the right one for me (i.e. Wi-fi) only

Let me explain

I have mentioned a few times in the past that I could see a time in the near future where I would use an iPod touch alongside another smartphone , which would be capable of sharing it's HSDPA connection via Wi-fi - In fact my current #2 phone is capable of this out of the box (HD2) - I carry two phones anyway and will continue to do so , so this whole "two box" strategy would suit my situation ideally !
So why haven't I done this yet ? ....Well , TBH I like the phone function of the iPhone ! , I love the navigation , and I particularly like the ease in which I can dial a number sent in an email with one touch , and create a contact etc - At the moment nothing is as fluid (for me) so I am not prepared to lose the functionality of the iphones phone just yet

But , we are talking about iPads right ?

The current situation for me , is that I'd buy an iPad WITHOUT 3G , and simply use my HD2's wifi connectivity
But, seeing as I change my phones regularly I can see may not be a long term option , I'd hat to be tied to a phone for any other reason than its own merits

I have an overwhelming urge to buy a Mi-fi .... erm , thingy . I have had this urge for a while now , and I think the iPad is pushing me over the edge on this one - I saw Three were pushing iPod touch / Mifi bundles last year and thought at the time it was a pretty good idea , but iPad and Mi-fi is a REAL goer IMO

Of course , there is the obvious "3" factor , .....but what coulld possibly go wrong ? ;)

Anyone else thinking along these lines ? or are you all sold on the 3G version ?

Ben
3rd February 2010, 10:24 AM
I'm sold on the 3G version, I just 'need' the integrated connectivity. A standalone device having the ability to get online anywhere has significant extra value to me, even if only due to my strange, connectivity-craving disposition.

Mobile operators need to make concessions in their billing systems so that a single account can better house additional connections such as this without paying as much as for an individual tariff, though. I.e. shared data between SIMs, etc, so we can get all of our appliances online without it costing a fortune.

While I doubt my iPad (assuming I'd buy one) would ever be far from WiFi, I'd just want the option.

DBMandrake
3rd February 2010, 03:12 PM
I don't think I'd be buying either of them, at least not in the foreseeable future, but if I did, it would have to be the 3G version for two reasons.

One is the obvious one, that a connected device that is only connected within Wifi range isn't that useful as soon as you get out of the house - at least here in the UK where hotspots aren't as pervasive as the US.

The second reason is GPS - the Wifi only version has no GPS, making all the maps and location aware applications useless.

Now that I'm used to GPS and 3G data anywhere on the iPhone, it would feel like going back to an iPod touch, getting the Wifi only version of an iPad.

If you're only ever going to use it on the couch at home, the Wifi version will do, but if you ever plan to use it outside the home, the 3G version makes so much more sense - imagine using google maps (or even a car satnav program like navigon) on a screen that size :)

There is the upfront cost difference with the 3G version of course, but the data plan is not really an issue IMO - when you can get 1GB of data for £5 a month with no contract on some networks like 3, it's a no brainer. Or if you don't get through much data because you're on wifi most of the time, 150MB from a £5 topup that doesn't expire for 3 months is ideal.

Only problem with the 3G version is the ugly black strip across the top, but I could live with that...

Hands0n
3rd February 2010, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty much with DBMandrake on this one :)

I would have to go for the 3G version, supposing I bought one, which I have no intention of doing, but thats just me talking right now :D When they're in the Bluewater Apple store it may all go completely to pot - especially as I just found out that my secret stash has grown sufficiently to buy one today even!!! Damn, I'm getting good at this syphoning lark LOL (hint; create a standing order to put away whatever you think you can afford each month and forget about it ... when you next look its usually a pleasant surprise!!).

For all the mobile reasons mentioned above the 3G has to be the better choice, even if you don't use a SIM in it initially. To my mind what you're effectively doing is future-proofing your purchase all for the cost of around £100 which is less than a night out often.

My only reservation is that this is a first generation device and I can't but help think that an iSight camera will appear in a later revision which, for me and my thinking about Skype and suchlike, is a mandatory accessory to have in such a device. I can't believe that Apple omitted it!

kevwright
17th February 2010, 07:09 PM
The second reason is GPS - the Wifi only version has no GPS, making all the maps and location aware applications useless.

I guess I am too late to be the first person to tell you that ALL iPads have GPS?

Kev

DBMandrake
17th February 2010, 07:46 PM
I guess I am too late to be the first person to tell you that ALL iPads have GPS?

Kev
Have you read the spec page at Apple ? Quote:

* Wi-Fi
* Digital compass
* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

The Wifi model has a digital compass but only supports Wifi based location - same as an ipod touch. It only provides a rough location if you're within a 50 metre radius of a known (listed in skyhook) wifi base station.

Only the Wi-Fi + 3G model (Apple's terminology for the 3G model) supports cell tower triangulation and Assisted GPS.

kevwright
17th February 2010, 08:40 PM
Have you read the spec page at Apple ? Quote:

Aha, now that raises a question, I am certainly reading it as A-GPS in wi-fi AND 3G models, and you are saying that is how they refer to the 3G model? I could have swore Steve said all models had GPS?

Wow, that could have been an expensive mistake :-)

Thanks, and now I have to wait an extra month :-)

Kev

DBMandrake
17th February 2010, 09:33 PM
I can see the source of confusion, I did a slight double take when I re-read my own post, however I'm pretty convinced that I'm right for a few reasons.

If you check the following page:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/pricing/

It lists two models, "Wifi" and "Wifi + 3G", so it seems clear that Apple refer to the 3G version as the "Wifi + 3G" model.

Also in the quote I pasted last time they say "Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)" - "Wifi + 3G model", implying one model, not "Wifi + 3G models", which would imply two different models.

The way I always interpreted the tech specs section that I quoted last time was that Compass and Wifi location were common to both models, while A-GPS and Cell tower positioning were only applicable to the "Wifi + 3G" model.

It also makes sense from a technical point of view - A-GPS relies on cellular connectivity to "fast start" a GPS chip by feeding it an approximate location and satellite ephemeris, allowing it to know roughly which satellites to search for first for a fast lock on - using this technique reduces initial lock on time to around 10 seconds. Without this assistance, a standard GPS chip doing a cold start can potentially take 10+ minutes for an initial lock, so it doesn't make sense to include a GPS chipset without this assistance in the wifi only version.

As for Steve saying all models had GPS, I watched the entire keynote when it came out and I don't actually recall ANY mention of GPS functionality, nor any slide listing GPS functionality. In fact many news sites and bloggers (Hi Stephen Fry, and others :) ) erroneously reported that the iPad did not have GPS of any kind, simply because it wasn't mentioned one way or the other in the keynote. (Great bit of journalism there bloggers, :rolleyes: ) It seemed highly unlikely to me they would remove GPS functionality, just that it wasn't important enough to deserve a slide with all the other stuff they were covering, and sure enough it showed up in the official specs on the Apple site. (Well before the posts from above mentioned non fact-checking bloggers ;) )

Sorry to be a pedant, but if it's saved you buying one without GPS when you really wanted the GPS then it's for a good cause :)

kevwright
17th February 2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah, just rewatched it and no mention at all :-)

I really do want the GPS, as impractical as it seems, I just wanna see TomTom on the thing :-)

Its a good enough reason to at least wait up and see what happens anyways, so thanks.

Kev