View Full Version : bye bye s40, C5 leaked, 6303 replacement?

hecatae
4th February 2010, 10:13 AM
i keep thinking Sinclair C5 but anyway :D

Here are the leaked specs for the Nokia C5 - it's powered by the non-touch Symbian S60 3rd edition FP2, the display is 2.2" QVGA, and the phone sports a 3.2MP camera with autofocus and LED flash, GPS receiver with A-GPS, a microSD card slot to expand the 50MB of built-in memory.

source (http://dailymobile.se/2010/02/03/nokia-c5-leaked-pictures-of-a-new-symbian-s60-device-from-nokia/)

Ben
4th February 2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds good to me, S60 should be great at the lower end of the scale providing it's implemented with enough clarity to make it usable.

The Mullet of G
5th February 2010, 02:42 AM
It actually looks like a pretty decent phone, obviously its not exactly cutting edge but its a nice package. If Nokia replaces its entire S40 range with S60 then its smartphone market share would effectively eclipse the competition. Half a billion phones a year would leave the rest of the smartphone market with such a small share that they would all have to be lumped into "others" or "also rans" :D

Hands0n
5th February 2010, 07:12 AM
Only if the definition of "Smartphone" were simply the OS on any old handset you care to dump it upon, then yes.

Within the last two years, at least, the definition of Smartphone has changed somewhat. When I look at the iPhone, Android, Maemo and even WinMo 6.5.3 it is very apparent to me that the bar has been raised. Simply plopping Symbian on a C5 does not make that a Smartphone.

The mobile world has moved on ...

Ben
5th February 2010, 10:10 AM
Still, at least more people would be getting a mobile OS that equates to more than just a feature phone. I haven't used the latest incarnations of S40 but it's pretty limited and closed, which a long, long time ago used to be a blessing in terms of reliability but that didn't last long as it got more complicated.

The Mullet of G
5th February 2010, 01:53 PM
Only if the definition of "Smartphone" were simply the OS on any old handset you care to dump it upon, then yes.

Within the last two years, at least, the definition of Smartphone has changed somewhat. When I look at the iPhone, Android, Maemo and even WinMo 6.5.3 it is very apparent to me that the bar has been raised. Simply plopping Symbian on a C5 does not make that a Smartphone.

The mobile world has moved on ...

I don't think the definition has changed at all, as there never was a clear definition in the first place. What has changed is what is available, but it doesn't change the fact that when it comes to market share data those S60 bearing C5's will count as smartphones, and as they run Symbian then Symbians market share will rise accordingly, no?

I think at times people often forget that they personally do not decide what is a smartphone and what isn't, that is left for other people to decide.

Ben
5th February 2010, 05:00 PM
that is left for other people to decide.
How about me? Can I decide?

Purleeease?

The Mullet of G
5th February 2010, 06:24 PM
No, its my turn this week, I'm deciding so ner ner. :D

Hands0n
6th February 2010, 10:29 AM
Who are these "other people"? Where do they hang out? What the hell gives them the right to decide these things anyway? Its always "other people". Well, this time round its going to be me. So there. With knobs on.

Ben
6th February 2010, 11:21 AM
Several voices are calling for a sub-class of 'superphones', so it's quite possible we'll see fragmentation of the term smartphone anyway.

Superphone does not include Symbian devices. Maemo 5, maybe.

The Mullet of G
6th February 2010, 03:59 PM
"Other people" are the people who compile market data, those people not being us. :)

LMAO about superphones and sub-classes, yeah those crazy voices. When you hear these voices do they sound like Steve Jobs? :D

Seriously its quite comical, if you can't match Symbians market share, then just try and relegate it to a sub-class instead. So what happens when Symbian^3 or ^4 rolls out, will they be relegated to a sub-class also for being more popular than the competition? Maybe they should also relegate phones that can't natively multi-task, after all that isn't very super, or even smart for that matter. :)

Ben
6th February 2010, 11:56 PM
I think Google coined it with the Nexus One =)

The Mullet of G
7th February 2010, 06:13 AM
They bring out one phone and already they are trying to coin new phrases and categories of phones, don't get me wrong the Nexus One is an impressive phone, but I think Google should wait till its actually achieved some market share before dispensing wisdom. :)

On another note my phone isn't being very smart right now, in fact its very much in the dog house. :(

Ben
7th February 2010, 12:49 PM
I read! S40, though, right? Definitely not smart ;)

Edit: Oh no, it i S60 isn't it? See this is the thing, I definitely don't think of the 5800 as a smartphone!

The Mullet of G
7th February 2010, 03:39 PM
OMG did you just accuse me of owning an S40 phone? Wow, I'm genuinely hurt by that. :(

Not only is it S60, but S60v5 no less. The underlying OS on the 5800 all but defined what it is to be a smartphone, I can't retrospectively right it off simply because something new comes along. :)

For what its worth its since redeemed itself, it hadn't deleted my work, just named it unexpectedly, but upon closer inspection it did so for the right reasons. So it is in fact smarter than me. :)