View Full Version : Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Brings Multi-touch & More

Hands0n
6th February 2010, 10:22 AM
With all the talk of Windows Mobile 7 it is easy to overlook the incumbent WM 6.5. Quietly, it seems, Microsoft have now released 6.5.3 that introduces a bundle of new features into this ageing OS.

The timing appears to be remarkably coincidental to the new Android 2.1-update.1 release, both sporting multi-touch. But would it be too cynical to think so?

But what is the upgrade policy? Is this a free OTA [or otherwise] update? At the time of the article there was no word on this. I'd like to think that this will be a free update to the WM 6.5 customers of which I am not one.

The policy of free, or inclusive, updates of minor and major versions has been established by Apple, continued by Google and so the expectation is that Microsoft may have to also. It may be that they'll have to move to this model simply to survive as the others encroach into their territory.

Yes, I know that Nokia has been doing this for ages with their Symbian OS - but generally it has been so obscure, relatively difficult to do, that the general population of users are most likely still running on the original OS that came with their handset when purchased. The "new" paradigm of pushing, or at least suggesting, the OS updates out to users is very different and Symbian doesn't [yet] do that as far as I know.

I've never been much of a Windows Mobile fan having experienced their early versions of the software across a number of platforms. I think it was worse on the mobile phone than it was on the PDA where it wasn't even that good. But with the likes of the HTC HD2 (as owned by Miffed on this forum) I start to weaken my resolve against the OS a little. There is still sufficient to keep me away from WM. Until now, that is. The list of "notable" additions in the article below make the OS rather appealing all of a sudden.

Windows Mobile has received more criticism than any software I can remember (Lotus Notes, Internet Explorer and Outlook run it close). So it confuses me that Microsoft has been so quiet about the announcement of version 6.5.3 which was soft launched with the Sony Ericsson Aspen last week (pictured). Why confused? Because, despite its incremental version number, this actually looks a highly worthwhile update...

ZDNet has been sent the official feature list for WM 6.5.3 and there are some hugely welcome additions, most notably:

Capacitive touchscreen support
Platform to enable multitouch
Touch controls throughout system (no need for stylus)
Consistent Navigation
Horizontal scroll bar replaces tabs (think settings>system>about screen)
Magnifier brings touch support to legacy applications
Simplified out-of-box experience with fewer steps
Drag and drop icons on Start Screen
(Mobile) Internet Explorer Page load time decreased
IE Memory management improved
IE Pan & flick gestures smoothed
IE Zoom & rotation speed increased
Updated runtime tools (.NET CF 3.5, SQL CE 3.1)
Arabic read/write document support
Watson (error reporting) improvements and bug fixes

Yes, finally capacitive screens and multi-touch (the latter of which only just arrived on Android), plus a fully finger friendly UI and proper gesture support. This is important stuff. Word on upgrades? Nothing as yet.

How do we take this? While I could be extremely sarcastic (I have been in the past) with messages of long overdue, I'd actually suggest it is extremely positive news and for two reasons. Firstly it is great news for existing Windows Mobile 6.5 users who can finally enjoy functionality that is long overdue. Secondly, with all the talk of Windows Mobile 7 getting its debut airing at Mobile World Congress, it provides a far more positive stepping stone and suggests there could still be hope for the platform after all.

Many have argued Microsoft should pull out of the mobile sector, but I'd hope it doesn't come to that. Windows Mobile platforms do bring an openness iPhone users can only dream of and Windows 7 has shown Microsoft does have the potential to turn dodgy OSes around. I, for one, am keeping my fingers crossed...

Article source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2010/02/04/Windows-Mobile-6-5-3-Brings-Multi-touch---More/p1

So, would Windows Mobile 6.5.3 persuade you to go for something like the HTC HD2 instead of an iPhone or Android handset? Would you take the WM 6.5.3 plunge now or rather wait until WM 7 arrives [much] later this year?

Ben
6th February 2010, 11:26 AM
That's a notable update indeed, they've added a lot. I wonder how the base of the Windows Mobile OS is going to cope with the addition of all of these new features? So far, at least, it looks like Microsoft are making progress.

I'd be interested to know how one updates from 6.5.2 to this latest update, also. Do handsets running Windows Mobile have OTA updates, or a software utility?

Miffed? ;)

miffed
6th February 2010, 01:04 PM
I Flashed away from the stock ROM on the day I got the HD2 , I am pretty sure it was onto a 6.5.3 custom ROM , so in my latest liason with WM I don't really know any different !
I did flash up to a 6.5.5 ROM the other day , and there are a few nice improvements WRT making the OS fully "finger" orientated - but the truth of it is , the majority of casual users won't see much difference at all , as they are not using Windows Mobile , they are using HTC sense
I have dropped the Sense UI myself - at least for now , I think I owe it to Windows Mobile to give the OS a go as they intended !

Too early to come up with any real conclusions just yet , but it certainly is a world ahead of Windows Mobile 6 , which is where I left off !

The upgrade path is sort of simple and dissappointing at the same time , Simply download the RUU and run it ..Which is great if you have a Windows PC !! , but otherwise you are buggered ! (actually , thats not true , I believe there is a way you can copy the file to your SD card and update from there - but it is technically a hack AFAIK ) Funny , some folks will label Apple as "evil" for having Safari as default browser on the iPhone , but in Windows Mobile land , you don't exist if you do not have a PC to back up / sync to ! , the only way to Sync your WM device with your Mac / Linux machine is via 3rd Party software - At least Apple look after the PC Sheeple with iTunes !!

I have attatched pics (not mine !) of the HTC Sense & the WM6.5.5 Today screens , I find the HTC one a little cluttered TBH ,looks nice to begin with , but I got bored quick TBH

The Mullet of G
6th February 2010, 03:49 PM
Multi-touch on WM can only be a good thing, and the list of other updates are pretty sweet to. I expect there will be a lot of happy WM users reading this.

I would disagree on Symbian being hard to update, its as easy if not easier to update than an iPhone. With an iPhone you plug it into your computer, fire up iTunes and then update, with S60 you do the same, but instead of iTunes you use NSU, which no one can possibly claim is complicated or difficult to use, or you can update OTA, this has been the case for quite some time now. Nokia PC suite will also alert you if there is a new update to be had.

Anyways it'll be interesting to see what WM 7 brings.

miffed
6th February 2010, 04:02 PM
Oh , I forgot to add....

OTA updating doesn't appear to be available from what I've seen , but strangely , I remember as long ago as Windows Mobile 5 , there was a built in "Windows Update " app (which appeared to do nothing !!)

Funny set of circumastances , Obvious OTA updates were planned well ahead of the pack , but never amounted to anything for some reason.

The Mullet of G
6th February 2010, 04:16 PM
Oh , I forgot to add....

OTA updating doesn't appear to be available from what I've seen , but strangely , I remember as long ago as Windows Mobile 5 , there was a built in "Windows Update " app (which appeared to do nothing !!)

Funny set of circumastances , Obvious OTA updates were planned well ahead of the pack , but never amounted to anything for some reason.

Sounds a bit like my Nokia N80, it had an option to update OTA that didn't really do anything, unless you formatted the phone first. :D