View Full Version : Data Transfer Charges

b.weeks
9th June 2005, 02:21 PM
Hi All,

I currently have a Nokia 6600 and using the Orange World Access GPRS bundles to send/recieve emails. With the Nokia 6680 - would it still use GPRS to transfer the data or would it use 3G? If 3G, what charges are associated with this?

Cheers,

Ben.

Jon3G
9th June 2005, 02:58 PM
Are you using the Orange world email client?

Ben
9th June 2005, 03:04 PM
Data over 3G is charged exactly the same as data over 2.5G - it's still GPRS.

If you upgrade to 3G on Orange you'll get 1GB/month for the first 3 months free - so you could ditch that Orange World Access bundle for a couple of months and save yourself a few quid!

b.weeks
9th June 2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for that. I currently use POP3 to download email from my ISP. I would like to switch to using IMAP soon though.

Does the video download using GPRS too then? If so, once the 1GB/month runs out, it's presumably gonna cost a lot. PS I like the fact they give you 1GB/month free for the first couple of months - get people used to using loads of data - hate to think what that would cost if you had to pay for 1GB! (I pay something like £16 for 25MB I think - which would translate to £640 for 1GB!).

Just so I am clear - 3G is like a bandwidth then that they can use to pass more data down - not a protocol that compresses data then? I assume data over 3G is much quicker. Do you know what connection speeds (i.e. as use by a modem) you can get out of a 6680?

Cheers,

Ben.

Ben
9th June 2005, 03:28 PM
Hey,

3G (W-CDMA) operates at 384kbps currently (down), but the uplink is more like 64kbps. It is indeed 'broadband' as opposed to a new compression technique, and uses entirely separate network infrastructure (bye bye GSM).

Video calls don't use packet data (afaik) and are not included in your data usage - they're charged like normal phone calls, but cost a lot more! Downloaded video, images, web pages, emails etc all come out of your data bundle just like they do now on your 6600.

I think the ~1GB Orange World Access bundle costs about £80 :\ Data is so pricey!

Jon3G
9th June 2005, 07:58 PM
Data over 3G is charged exactly the same as data over 2.5G - it's still GPRS.

If you upgrade to 3G on Orange you'll get 1GB/month for the first 3 months free - so you could ditch that Orange World Access bundle for a couple of months and save yourself a few quid!

Ben

I was advised by Orange that the Orange world bundles only applied to Orange world browsing and nothing else.

If he is using using pop 3 then it will cost him at the applicable rate. However if he is a new customer then he gets 1 gig for any use and will be able to use it for what ever he likes for 3 months

Hope that answers the question B.weeks

Ben
9th June 2005, 09:06 PM
That's not correct Jon3G - Orange World Access packs cover all data transfer, on and off of Orange World.

3g-g
9th June 2005, 11:24 PM
Is it not Vodafone that have different charging rates for "on site", "off site" data transfer?

Ben
9th June 2005, 11:35 PM
Browsing Vodafone Live! isn't chargeable at all now - with Vodafone your data charges are just for transfer beyond Live!

On Orange all data is chargeable and Orange World Access bundles apply to all data transferred. The exception is the new OTV service, which has its own inclusive data allowance.

Jon3G
10th June 2005, 08:10 AM
Browsing Vodafone Live! isn't chargeable at all now - with Vodafone your data charges are just for transfer beyond Live!

On Orange all data is chargeable and Orange World Access bundles apply to all data transferred. The exception is the new OTV service, which has its own inclusive data allowance.

If Vodafone got it right then yes Voda live would not be chargable, but I am getting charged and I know I am staying within the live area.

What I meant about the Orange world bundle is that you cant use it for Agile MSG or the pop3 email client on the handset. This is what I have been advised

Ben
10th June 2005, 11:33 AM
Jon3G... it covers all data. Who's going to buy 1GB a month for £80 if it doesn't cover a) your email and b) messaging! I'm not saying that's not what you were told, just that what you were told was wrong.

Jon3G
10th June 2005, 11:46 AM
Well if thats the case then its a great deal.

Just found this and it confirms it. Orange CS get it wrong again

Orange World Access bundles of megabytes

Access information and entertainment and email people with Orange World Access megabytes (MB). You only pay for information sent and received and not for the time connected. Plus you can still receive voice calls while online.

1MB is equal to approx:
1000 b/w wap pages

100 emails without attachments

20 web pages

10 games

10 emails with 1 page attachment

three video clips

one high quality music track

one 20 slide presentation

name of bundle out of bundle cost per MB
Orange World Access 4MB £1.00

Orange World Access 10MB £0.80

Orange World Access 25MB £0.70

Orange World Access 80MB £0.65

Orange World Access 400MB £0.59

Orange World Access MAX n/a

Orange World Access MAX is subject to a fair usage policy of 1000MB per month.