View Full Version : IMAP Email on 6680

b.weeks
9th June 2005, 02:25 PM
Anyone had any experience of using IMAP email on the 6680. Does it still use GPRS to send/receive emails or does it use 3G? If 3G, what are the price differences per MB? If you have had experience of IMAP email on the 6680 - what was the speed like? Can it deal with folders? Is there a limit to the number of emails it can handle?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
9th June 2005, 02:59 PM
Hi,

All connections are made over GPRS - whether they are over GSM or WCDMA depends on your coverage. It's the same protocol, afaik, just at different opperating speeds. There is no price difference between 2.5G data and 3G data on any of the networks at the current time. Three, of course, has no data access - so this is just another feature you can't use with a 6680 on Three.

I use POP3 so I'm afraid I can't give you much more advice than that - other than tell you that POP3 works well! :)

b.weeks
9th June 2005, 03:07 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply. Lets juts hope the charges for GPRS data bundles come down a bit then :-) What does the 3G video cost on most networks by the way? I use POP3 too with good success ... but would be nice to have access to emails that I have downloaded to my laptop for example ...

Cheers,

Ben.

Ben
9th June 2005, 03:12 PM
No problem!

When you upgrade on Orange 3G you get a certain amount of video minutes included. The amount and the period you get them for depends on your tariff. Outside of that, they cost 50p/minute on Orange to any network - too much.

Downloadable videos from Orange World cost the price indicated on the screen + the amount of data transfer taken for delivery. Orange TV is free for 3 months and then costs £10 a month for 20 hours of viewing.

Hope that helps,
Ben

b.weeks
9th June 2005, 03:17 PM
So using the Orange TV doesn't use GPRS?

Ben
9th June 2005, 03:19 PM
It does, but Orange reckon they can differentiate between data used for OTV and data used for other services. My bill day is tomorrow.... I'm anxious!

Hypnotic
9th June 2005, 03:20 PM
3 do charge for emails. The prices were shown is the carphone warehouse june 2005 sales booklet. I can only remember the price for emails which were 501kb in size or more, which was 50p + 1p for ever 10kb over.

Ben
9th June 2005, 03:23 PM
Luckily b.weeks is on Orange so wont have to worry about those charges - just the data transferred.