View Full Version : Dell mini 5 android tablet pictures and specs!

Hands0n
13th February 2010, 09:55 PM
Not much to say because there is not much to read on the following link. But it seems that Dell have decided to release an Android Tablet running 1.6 Donut and, it claims, GSM. One has to hope they mean 3G/HSPA.

See here --> http://www.androidspin.com/2010/02/11/dell-mini-5-android-tablet-pictures-and-specs/

So, we now have the Apple iPad, various Microsoft Windows-based tablets and some to come, quite a few manufacturers saying that they'll launch Android tablets. Either someone knows something or this lot are barking mad.

Thoughts?

miffed
14th February 2010, 09:19 AM
Cool ! . but it's not really a tablet is it ? More of a smartphone .... (surely they wouldn't make it that size and not include phone (voice) capability ?

....don't get me wrong , looks like a nice device ..... But not the Android tablet I was hoping for.

Hands0n
14th February 2010, 09:29 AM
I reckon that it has a phone built in to it - or at least that may be the intention at this time. Looking at the first picture there is what appears to be the earpiece at the top of the device's fascia.

Damn! It is a big "phone" though. Probably suited to those with hands the size of a lumberjack :) I would like to see one of these in the real though. It has raised that much of my interest.

Ben
14th February 2010, 01:29 PM
Android tablets are surely the biggest rival to the iPad. I mean, sure, they're not gunna be close just yet, but I'd love to see a broad spectrum of Android based tablets hitting the streets!

The Mullet of G
14th February 2010, 07:35 PM
Hmmm a giant Dell branded phone running on an old version of Android, is it April 1st already? :)

Given Androids relatively poor market share and sales, its hard to see them being the biggest rival to iPad or anyone else for that matter. Windows FTW.

colin25
14th February 2010, 08:23 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5443837/first-hands+on-and-video-dell-mini-5-android-slate

found this..dated 8 Jan.

and this

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/dell-mini-5-we-have-it/

Hands0n
14th February 2010, 10:08 PM
@colin25 - nice to see the pair of videos showing yet more of the Mini 5. Is it a Tablet or is it just an oversized touchscreen phone?

Just a point on the Endgadget presentation - can't they afford a camera tripod? What is it with these reviews where no one seems to have the savvy to mount the camera on a tripod? It isn't rocket science. Watch a couple in rapid succession, the eyes and the brain overloads, a headache results. It really spoils what would otherwise be interesting viewing.

miffed
15th February 2010, 06:56 AM
I still see these as "phone sized" , having owned a T-mobile Ameo with a 5" screen , and now the HD2 (which isn't far behind at 4.3" ) - The minimum size I'd view as a slate/tablet is probably 7" - and even tthat is pushing it ! - I have two Windows UMPC's in the drawer with 7" screens , without a doubt they are too small for XP / Vista /Windows 7 , Android (even WM) is going to fare better , being desgned for touch / smaller screens - But I have to ask myself why I'd bother getting a tablet with a screen that is not much bigger than my phone ? , surely I am already sorted in that area ?

The Mullet of G
15th February 2010, 08:06 AM
I'd class it as a phablet™, its too big to be any real use as a phone, and too small to be any good as a tablet, so its kinda stuck in the middle ground. Spec wise the only thing that differentiates it from current high end phones is a slightly larger screen, but there are already 4" screen bearing phones with much the same hardware, and they are probably more pocket friendly. You'd need to carry this in a bag, at which point you'd be as well getting something with a proper sized screen.

colin25
15th February 2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, getting to the stage you need a bag to carry it.

Wait! Why not invent a bag for carrying your phone, one for each sex..a man-bag..feel free to take this idea and make money from it..lol

I agree that this doesn't seem to be the way to go.

I'm waiting for a "small" phone with a 3-d projected holo-screen, which only you can see wearing your coded glasses..lets you sit on bus scroilling through a tabloid page sized screen..only issue might be doing a pinch to zoom..someone might think you are flicking snot at them :)