View Full Version : Nokia, Intel merge mobile Linux offerings (Maemo -> MeeGo)

Ben
15th February 2010, 12:43 PM
Given Maemo's warm reception on the Nokia N900 I found this news rather significant, and perhaps telling of the direction Nokia intends to go with its high-end lineup. But is it technology or patent spats that's pushing Nokia further into Intel's arms, and will Maemo fair better or worse for this disruption so early in its life?

"Intel has tightened its alliance with Nokia by merging its Moblin mobile Linux platform into the Finnish phone giant's built-on-Linux Maemo OS.

The combined platform will be called MeeGo - which will undoubtedly be satirised as 'MeeToo', given its clear intention to fight the rise of Android and iPhone.

The two companies said MeeGo will "support multiple hardware architectures across the broadest range of device segment". So expect to see it not only in Nokia's high-end smartphones, but also netbooks, tellies, in-car entertainment systems and flavour of the month, the tablet.

Intel handed Moblin over to the Linux Foundation after doing the initial development work, and MeeGo will likewise become an LF property."
Continues http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/02/15/intel_nokia_launch_meego/

hecatae
15th February 2010, 12:58 PM
Maemo has existed since 2005, I dont consider this early in it's life

The Nokia 770 Internet Tablet is a wireless Internet appliance from Nokia, originally announced at the LinuxWorld Summit in New York City on May 25, 2005.[1] It is designed for wireless Internet browsing and e-mail functions and includes software such as Internet radio, an RSS news reader, ebook reader, image viewer and media players for selected types of media.

The device went on sale in Europe on November 3, 2005, at a suggested retail price of €349 to €369 (£245 in the United Kingdom).

The Mullet of G
15th February 2010, 05:08 PM
Maemo has indeed been around since 2005, but sales were mediocre and the platform pretty much languished in the dole drums until the N900 was launched. Maemo 5 has moved on quite a bit from Maemo 4 which was purely a tablet based OS, so in that regard it is quite early in Maemos life, in summary for Maemo life largely begun at 5. Anyways that trivia aside whats with the comedy name? Honestly MeeGo sounds like the character from a kids show. But besides that it could be one to watch, and if Nokia/Intel get it right then Android could be in serious danger, not just on mobiles, but tablets etc, personally I consider Maemo to be a much better OS, especially for tablet based PC's, where I think Android is just a bit too lightweight.