View Full Version : Could the humble SIM card be the future ?

miffed
17th February 2010, 08:44 PM
All veryi interesting !

http://gizmodo.com/5474036/the-swiss-army-sim-sk-telecom-squeezes-storage-cpu-and-android-os-onto-one-card

Ben
17th February 2010, 10:59 PM
Phone-on-a-SIM... now that's pretty cool - just pop it into a host device and you're away! The reality? Well, I'm not so sure. Cool though!

Hands0n
17th February 2010, 11:01 PM
It is a fascinating idea no doubt. The USIM is completely under utilised. It was supposed to be so much more. I wonder if this could really be the future, or at least one possible future. I'm thinking of a line of generic handsets that you just load up with your SIM/mobile. Perhaps we could really end up with "dress phones" for going out in style :)

miffed
18th February 2010, 06:42 AM
I've got this vision of you popping your SIM into a your mobile , then when you go out simply pop it out (of course , the slots would have to become more accessible and easy for there to be any point to this ! ) -and put it in your car for a touchcreen duplicate of your phone on your dashboard , handsfree etc) . then , when you get home , you stick it into a tablet or a netbook .....

Having said that , I think one of the biggest lessons learned over the last few years must be that the Software and hardware need to be in perfect harmony with each other , this concept moves away from that somewhat.