View Full Version : Apple declares war on HTC

Ben
2nd March 2010, 03:44 PM
I was wondering when Apple was going to make an example of somebody for infringing on its patents. Assuming it does have strong patents over much of the iPhone's functionality, this should be an interesting case. Even more interesting, to me, that it has picked HTC, maker of Google's Nexus One...

http://www.knowyourcell.com/news/431762/apple_sues_htc_alleges_patent_infringement.html

solo12002
4th March 2010, 08:51 PM
This is nothing more than a little child throwing their bottle out of the pram. Apply is taking action againiist anyone, sounds like they are worried about losing share of market

Ben
5th March 2010, 10:48 AM
I think it runs a lot deeper than that.

It has been clear for some time now that Apple has patents regarding the iPhone that competitors have encroached upon. Do I agree with patents? No. But they've got them and that's how it works.

What's interesting is that Apple didn't attempt to go after Palm (small fry) or any of the others; it waited for Google, who I would imagine Steve Jobs has plenty of venom for since Schmidt was on the Apple board when Android, Chrome, and Chrome OS happened. The challenge to HTC looks to be confident and purposeful and, I would imagine, just the beginning.

3GScottishUser
5th March 2010, 06:12 PM
The problem for Apple is that they now face products that are as appealing as their own and the march is now on to extend the market by making devices more affordable.

Apple have had a very good innings with the iPhone and will no doubt retain a substantial following for it but it was only a matter of time before others closely matched the offering.

It makes me chukkle a bit thinking of Apple bringing patent lawsuits to protect themselves when they themselves 'borrowed' ideas from Xerox Parc to produce the first Mac!!

I personally think Apple have had more than their reward for their iPhone efforts and that all the litigation and counter claims will simply hold up development of technology, then again maybe that suits Apple who have never really been vendors of cutting edge hardware.

Hands0n
5th March 2010, 07:23 PM
Right now we are witnessing a round robin arse kicking contest.

Nokia sue Apple, Apple sue HTC. I am only surprised that arch litigists Qualcomm have not entered the fray. Although it is by no means too late for them to do so.

I think that Apple are entirely right to go after HTC in the same way that Microsoft went after Apple in the early Windows days (anyone recall WIMP). The result of that battle was that Microsoft were not allowed to patent WIMP. And I suspect that Apple will lose this case thus liberating the world's manufacturers to produce touchscreen phones without the fear of a litigist coming after them for simply using the universal means of touch!

Silly Apple.

NB: In a very timely posting on the BBC News website there is an article that pretty much sums up the current situation. I cannot see any court upholding Apple's case as it is not in the general public's interest Apple patent case 'could affect all android phones' http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8547230.stm