View Full Version : Blackberry Master Control Program (Beta 6)

Hands0n
2nd April 2010, 04:27 PM
We don't often feature Blackberry articles on Talk3G simply because traditionally the BB has not been a 3G device. Of course, all of that has changed over the recent years and more of their kit indeed is.

I have noticed that a lot of the "kids" are getting BBs now, and certainly the likes of Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone are pushing out quite reasonable contracts with BB kit these days. And if you like that sort of thing the BB is a nice device, certainly since the Bold 9700 that is all the current rage. Personally, I have never liked the earlier models. Having played around with a family member's Bold 9700 though I think that I am warming to the technology, although with my age and eyes :D the small keyboard and even smaller screen is not something I'd readily switch to away from my iPhone or Google Nexus One with their comparatively huge screens.

Anyway - having had to do some work on the BB 9700 for the Mrs and the lad I have started to gain a bit more practical experience of late. My earlier days were spent at the back end, around BIS and BES which are horrid things to have to set up and manage. Ask most server admins and they will, if they're honest, tell you that it is not a fun experience.

At the handset things get little better. The Engineering menu is locked down, there is a way out of it - see elsewhere on T3G for a thread on the subject. This allows you complete control over the BB - especially necessary if you have bought your's unbranded and need to set it up on the Orange network in particular.

There is a BB desktop utility that helps you update the device's firmware which works very well, it is quite polished. But it leaves the more technically minded a bit wanting.

Enter the BB MCP which is a independent software product to provide an enhanced control interface to the handset itself. It also handles multiple BBs so if you are the local/family BB doctor you will find this tool invaluable.

The review describes MCP thusly:-

BlackBerry Master Control Program (MCP) is a power tool that allows you to easily load/save/erase any module you want, take screenshots of your device, turn the radio on or off, synchronize the time on your device to your PC, reset to factory settings (remove IT policies), perform a handheld wipe, optimize (in real time) or install any BlackBerry OS. The latest version is 0.9.3.0 Beta 6 and it’s truly a handy piece of software. The software bills itself as being made for “moderate to advanced” users and I would put myself closer to the moderate end of the scale. Bear this in mind when reading the review.

Rather than repeat the entire review here I suggest you nip along to read it and see the screenshots here --> http://viigo.im/2ZMT

Blackberry has come a long way from its early text-only days. The new Bold 9700, for instance, is a full multimedia device that supports both RIM's own BB mail as well as commercial products such as GMail and Exchange (via BIS or BES).

I'm still not a great fan, but through the family connection I have to help maintain and support these. So I am on the quest for any and all tools that will help.

Blackberry Master Control Program heads my list.