View Full Version : RIM - BlackBerry Bold 9700 - Setting up for first time use, and experiences

Hands0n
4th April 2010, 12:21 AM
I believe that I may have said before that I am not a particular fan of BlackBerry handsets. But the new Bold 9700 has become something of a success, at least in my family and friend circle. Being the F&F mobile phone expert I have recently been called upon to help set these up for a few of the family.

This, then, is a short chronicle of my work in setting up a brand new BlackBerry Bold 9700 on the Vodafone network.

The Desktop Software
As with any handset the first thing I want to do these days is to ensure that the device is on the latest version of the firmware OS for that device. The BlackBerry kit is going to be no different. The last thing that I want to do is run into legacy problems with factory-installed firmware, usually dated and relatively buggy.

And so the first thing to do is to install the [Windows-only] BlackBerry desktop sofware, this also loads up the USB drivers and utilities ready for the first plug-in of the BB Bold 9700. I was installing the desktop software to Windows 7, the entire process was completely automated and painless.

Of course, after the install from the CD the software soon detects that a later version is available and I let it proceed to update itself to the latest version. So far it all had a very Apple Mac feel to it - everything was happening very naturally, guided, and in a completely logical sequence. Also, it all simply worked [so far] simply.

Updating the handset's firmware
With the desktop software sorted it was time to plug the BB Bold 9700 in using the supplied USB to mini-USB cable. Not a standard mini-USB but BB's own version. So much for cross-manufacturer standardisation.

Within moments the 9700 was recognised by the desktop software and I was able to check for firmware and application updates, of which there were plenty.

The desktop software prompts for backup, an option which I took even though this was an unused handset. It is always useful to have the ability to get back to a known point in time. Should anything go wrong next then I at least had a way back to its out-of-the-box configuration.

The firmware and apps update is a fully automated process and took something like 20 minutes to complete. It was a completely hands-off process, very much like updating an iPhone with iTunes, the desktop software did it all. Then, several reboots of the handset later, the 9700 was updated to the latest 5.0.0.423 (this is on Vodafone, the version for Orange is 5.0.0.351).

I found myself quite impressed at the effectiveness of the software and process to update the handset, remembering earlier days when it was a complete chore and risk prone at that. RIM have certainly focussed on the entire end-to-end process and ensured that this work can be done by the completely non-technical. Although, as is usual, there is little to prompt the end user to actually do any of this. But then I suffer as the F&F PC guy who has to repair the neglect that most put their beloved home computers through.

Data Roaming - Turn it off now
Incredibly the BlackBerry OS defaults data roaming to "On". How insane is that? Particularly for anyone who is likely to travel abroad with their BlackBerry handset. The risk of returning home to a four or five figure mobile phone bill is a complete reality, what with the price of data roaming as it is.

So the first thing any BB user should do, immediately upon receipt, is to turn data roaming off.

To do this the user must press the BlackBerry menu button (the little array of dots), select Options, scroll down to and select Mobile Network and ensure that, in the section Data Services, the selection "While Roaming" is set to "Off".

Set up Wi-Fi
The next thing to set up is the WiFi, assuming that you have a home-based broadband service with a wireless router.

Again, in Options, scroll down to Wi-Fi and select it. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select New which will launch the WiFi wizard app to help you join your WLAN. Do remember to do this at all friends and family locations also so that as you move around your circle you get to minimise using the 3G/2G mobile data allowance (currently 500MB on Vodafone).

With these steps undertaken the brand new BlackBerry handset is ready for use and to have more apps added to it, of which there are quite a few.

My short experience with using one of these reminds me what I enjoy about the larger touchscreen handsets in the iPhone and Android camps. I just do not get along with that tiny mechanical keyboard, but plenty of people do as is testified by RIMs success in the Enterprise and [now] private individual market.

The BlackBerry Bold 9700 is an appealing and exciting little handset. It is very capable although it does feel a bit flimsy in the hand, what with creaky plastic. But the rubberised coating does make it feel steady, and it is a nice sensible size overall.

Would I have one? Well, maybe, if I didn't already have an Android as a second device. Would I have one as a primary handset? No, its not for me. But I wouldn't try and talk anyone out of having one.

Ben
5th April 2010, 02:05 AM
Quite bizarre that the handset ships with data roaming switched on. One would assume that any handset with the ability to control data usage while roaming would have it turned off by default. Sterling advice, there!

Does the handset ever prompt to join new WiFi hotspots, or do they all have to be specifically configured in advance?

Hands0n
5th April 2010, 10:43 AM
Well, that is a good question. This is something that anyone with an iPhone is accustomed to.

The BB Bold 9700 does have a Wireless Option that is set by default that says "Prompt me when manual login or connection is required". However, when I was first setting up the device it certainly did not prompt me for either of my two WiFi routers. So I am not entirely sure whether it will if it is taken into another WLAN. That said, they are easy enough to configure on this device.

solo12002
5th April 2010, 11:35 AM
Its funny each of us has their own view on the BB Bold 9700. I brought myself on. After running round NI trying to get a Orange 3G sim card on PAYG managed to get the PAYG Orange Blackberry add on to it for a £5 a month, with a limit of 50MB yes only 50MB.

I found the handset to be slim and small may be my age or the fact that I clearly need glasses for reading, i found the screen small. set up one email account and off I went. Now the funny part I sent eemail to the one address and gues what i was able to collect my email on a nokia using nokia messaging fatsre that the Blackberry for some rason it took my email longer to get to the BB than the nokia phone. Anyway the result of me was selling it on an auction site for £30 pounds more that I brought it, so why sell it.

I fond the hand set small, and slim. Email was reaching my Nokia E63 using Nokia email than the blackberry, secondly on PAYG I can get a 1GB data bolt on complered to 50MB on PAYG BB, thridly for me I go aborad plus I tavel to south of Ireland or close to it were I could hit an Irsish network cell. so iuses with roaming (ie) Im off to Prague in August, I can get a PAYG Sim card with handset date, can i get one with Blackberry add on from any of the networks no. Given that I now get or can get push email from others and not restricted to having to have a BB bolt on I decided the BB was not for me.