View Full Version : Android - HTCClay`s FastTest v3.1, Release 3.1

Hands0n
5th April 2010, 04:13 PM
Based on Android 1.6 this is a fully Eclair'd up ROM for the Google G1 and HTC Magic --> http://db.androidspin.com/android_developer_display.asp?developerid=85

Please make sure that you install version 3.0.2 first, then make the jump to the 3.1-RH version. I tried going from xROM Eclair directly to this and it did no work until I popped the earlier release first. There is a 3.0.3 also, but ignore it completely. Just do 3.0.2 and then 3.1-RH.

In use the OS is very quick and stable, living up to its name I would say. It definitely makes the G1 feel a lot nippier than xROM Eclair did. The latter was very clunky, seemingly exhausting the G1's modest capabilities. To the contrary, the FastTest ROM whizzes along, much sprightlier than did the default Android Donut 1.6 that was on there originally.

Its Android, so what can I say? What this brings is the Eclair look and feel to the 1.6 kernel. There are some very nice styling options too, such as the black notifications bar at the top and the All Programs tab is now invisible, but at the same plat at the bottom of the screen. Also, everything works, including Camera and Videocamera which is not always the case with these independent ROMS, particularly those running on the 2.x kernel.

I can recommend this specific ROM if you are into this sort of thing. Do make backups of whatever release you are currently on, giving yourself a chance of getting back if you need to.

I took a set of screencaps to show you the new OS - you can view these here http://pbckt.com/sI.p30

Warning
Going down the route of independent OS can be a risky affair. If you don't know what you are doing, or this is the first time, please make sure that you read all you can on how to Root your device before setting out. It is quite simple to brick you handset, something that an experienced hack can often get you out of. So the usual caveats apply - you do all of this at your own risk.

Ben
8th April 2010, 11:33 AM
What's the reasoning behind basing this on the older 1.6 kernel? Is it simply more lightweight?

Hands0n
8th April 2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, it is a bit more lightweight - but also the 2.0 Android has been a bit incomplete - I recall reading of lots of issues around the camera and videocamera, although these are now sorted. Having used OpenEclair and xROM, both 2.x based, I found them very resource hungry on the humble G1. Lag and instability soon arrived after the first run up of those OS. But with FastTest it is blindingly fast, better than Donut, and the Eclair'd apps make for a refreshing look, feel and performance.