View Full Version : 3 Refreshes Brand to Three

Hands0n
4th May 2010, 04:54 PM
But is it enough?

I have, from soon after my first initial dalliance with 3 (as was and who is now Three), had a complete love/hate affair with the company. Anyone who has read any of my previous diatribes in reference to 3/Three will know that all of my discrete experiences of the organisation have ended up in disaster. Leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth that is strangely insufficient to keep me away forever. I keep coming back, with the predicatable results when things go sour - they fall at their usual Customer Services hurdle, cursed by their seemingly inextricable tie to the off-shore operation in Mumbai. A dreadfully dire lot they are, and continue to be a millstone around 3/Three's neck.

Really, 3/Three should by now have been a major UK player. They had the network [mostly] in the right places, and it wasn't too long before they abandoned their disastrous use of NEC handsets (anyone recall the e606 - I still have my two) as other manufacturers came along. By the time 3/Three had got to the Nokia 6800 the state of the art of 3G handsets was well and truly established. People were flocking to buy them, then the N80 and after that the N95 - all reasonably well received 3G capable handsets.

And so why are 3/Three not the leading light in 3G networking that they should be? Why has Vodafone and others overtaken them, or maintained their market share? Why does 3/Three continue to churn customers away to the so called big four? The answer, in two words, is Customer Service.

When things go wrong, as they inevitably do, 3/Three - as any other company - are measured on their capability and ability to resolve the problem. And it is in this area the 3/Three's Customer Services tend to fail so miserably. Not only do their fail, but their attitude is often surly and unhelpful, giving off the feeling that they believe you to be blessed to be on their network. Then their aggressiveness when trying to leave puts the cherry on the "I'm going" cake, ruining any prospect at retention.

You'd have to think that 3/Three don't sample their own Customer Service, and rely instead on a bank of yes-men who give off the impression that all is right with that world. But their churn and retention rates, plus the feedback on the forums tells another story that 3/Three have ignored so far. Although there was a glimmer of light that was changing until the Volcano incident (another story).

So, what do we do? Do we wish 3/Three well with their new branding (see it here http://three.co.uk/Home )? It does look rather bland, but a damn sight better than those monkeys they flirted with a while back, and since returned to the Mumbai CS centre from where they got them from :D

I wish 3/Three well in this new venture. Perhaps they can pull it off, make their network bigger and more reliable, negate the need to call their CS ever again. Or, looking at it from a 'glass half empty' position, perhaps the Mumbai CS are waiting in the wings to ruin this attempt also.

If anyone at 3/Three is reading this, get the hint that has been going round since 2003. Jettison Mumbai, bring it all back to the UK and you will be unstoppable. In fact, I would forecast 3/Three as being the premier 3G network operator within three years (allowing for other contracts to mature and word to get around) if you did this. It only take the corporate will to make such a fundamental change - the rest will happen automagically.

3 has today refreshed its brand in a bid to attract new customers on the strength of its data network

3 has today announced it will refresh its brand in a bid to become the premier network for data services.

The operator has switched its strategy from being price-led to focus on the quality and service of its data propositions.

3 said it will re-educate the public by removing any previous "stigma" that existed in previous years.

It will also be updating its tariffs to include free data as part of the package for the first time, instead of as an add-on.

3 has also simplified its brand logo in to a single monochrome design and will be displayed as 'Three' instead of the numeric form.

The new look, which includes a complete point of sale refresh in all its channels including retail and online will be unveiled today (May 4).

A 3 spokesperson said: "We think the refresh, which includes changing the way we write our name from '3' to 'Three', results in a simpler, warmer and clearly internet-focused brand.

"It's designed to be a more approachable look and the incorporation of Three.co.uk into the logo reflects our drive to be the home of the mobile internet.

"We will continue to challenge the market to give customers great value, but in store you'll see an increased emphasis on the benefits of our services rather than simply shouting about price."

3 also said it will be launching a new above the line national advertising campaign to get its new message across to potential new customers.

It is to promote the strategy through a cinema theme later this month and arrange to show its plans through 35 cinemas across the UK to its staff. It will include the tag line "They're going even further to make it even better."

The campaign will also discuss its network expansion which has doubled in the past 18 months.

3 claims to have the biggest 3G network in the UK bringing "more capacity" and "greater coverage" to greater parts of the country than any other, spending "billions" of pounds.

"We hope that the brand's new look will prompt people to take a new look at Three," said the spokesperson.

"Moving from a 6,000 site network to one of over 10,675 today and nearly 13,000 by the end of the year means this is a great time to refresh the look and feel.

"The network is the core of everything we do. The confidence we have in the network now has a brand identity to match."

The national campaign will begin on May 8 and will appear across all forms of media including substantial coverage in newspapers, TV and in cinema.

Source: http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/477471/3_refreshes_brand_to_three.html

DBMandrake
4th May 2010, 07:31 PM
As a Pay&Go mobile customer of 3 (sorry, I mean Three :p ) since around October last year (but with no special loyalty per-se as I can PAC my number to another network at any time, and I will, if I feel I have to) I can't help but think that the last 6 months have been a constant series of 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

They keep doing encouraging things to show that they mean business when it comes to improving their image and their service, (at least the 3G network service...) but then almost immediately blow it by doing something stupid in another area.

The roll-out of the 3G site share with T-Mobile is going full steam ahead which is good, with coverage improving in leaps and bounds, but they've been a bit careless with their testing of some of the newly merged sites (rushing to meet the October deadline ?) - and there was a problem for several weeks that was causing PMTU discovery to fail at SOME cell-towers and not others. Because the MTU of their network seems to be
In their defence they did fix the issue within about 3-4 days when it was brought to their attention, by the member of another forum where the problem was discussed, however considering that they sell Android phones themselves this problem should have never made it past initial testing/design phases, and shouldn't have been ongoing in production sites for weeks on end.

Another blunder in my opinion was the raising of Pay&Go prices completely out of the blue and within a week of Ofcom deciding to drop mobile termination rates, something which 3 had campaigned for. Opps!

Yet another technical stuff-up - some time around the 22nd of last month 3 made changes to their network that caused intermittent data outages for many days for a large percentage of customers (based on all the complaints and discussion on another forum I follow) and ever since then although data is working reliably again, an interesting problem remains - it is now no longer possible to open more than one PDP context (data circuit) at once, something which all networks have allowed since, well, forever.

This means any device trying to access more than one APN at once is having problems - on the iPhone this manifests itself as being unable to send/receive MMS or Tether, although it is possible to work around it by configuring the iPhone to use the same APN for all 3 data needs. On Blackberries it manifests itself as BIS losing it's connection if any application accesses the internet via the normal internet APN.

This situation has been in evidence for about 2 weeks now, and SURELY they must have noticed it, must have been getting complaints, why can't they fix it ? (Which is probably just rolling back a foolish configuration change) I've emailed them a fault report explaining the problem in excruciating detail a few days ago, and they have got back to me to say that it has been forwarded to the technical team who are looking into it.

Based on previous experiences I've had where I've sent them detailed fault reports with successful outcomes, I think they probably will fix it, and relatively soon, however why does it take someone technical like me to diagnose the problem for them and explain it to them in intricate detail for them to realise there is a problem, what it is, and do something about it ?

I sometimes feel like an unpaid 3 employee, (including helping iPhone users get their iPhones working well on 3 via the carrier settings bundle I maintain) and I wouldn't mind so much if they were paying me to diagnose their network for them!! :D

If they want to offer me a job sorting out their network for them, they know where to find me ;)

Despite all my gripes with Three, I have just as many if not more gripes with most of the other networks. Just recently Orange lost all 3G coverage in my area for close to a month with no explanation....well done Orange. (Coupled with nationwide hiccups in 3G data connectivity around the same time affecting a lot of users - but not me, as I was only getting EDGE at the time!)

And the less said about O2 the better. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever use O2 after the nightmares my girlfriend had with her iPhone on O2. (Which now works brilliantly by comparison, on Three...)

Is it too much to have a network that just provides a service that works ? I guess so... ;)

solo12002
4th May 2010, 09:24 PM
Oh did you see the new plans:

http://www.three.co.uk/Pay_Monthly/Our_plans_prices Theres talk on theie blog that they included 500MB of data, but you can still abuy the £ internet add on which gives you 2GB of data making it 2.5 GB a month if you go down that route

Sorry guys but I had to post this on their blog.

Fiirstly I understand the need to change things but what involvement was there from other ppl outside of three, as a person with Dyslexia, this blog and your site is dam hard to see, we have a white backgroung with black text and in some cases red or pink.

The logo you have of showing a map of the Uk with three in it is not going to work for colour blined users. and thers is no way of increasing the front on this while I type.

Come on three you should do better