View Full Version : 6680 software problem

poohthepooh
13th June 2005, 10:17 PM
i tried to install a app to the phone and from then on it wont switch on unless the mem card is out. but it does say " software error" when i turn it on (mem card out) i cannot go into app. and i cannot write lettors only numbers (the left bottom key for changing input is "dead" nothing. pls help!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway of doing full software reset? restore factory settings didnt help

Jon3G
14th June 2005, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a handset fault.

Were did you get it from? Take it back to them or take it to a Nokia service centre

poohthepooh
14th June 2005, 11:45 PM
I HEALED MY PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know what it was but it caused me alot of stress anyway i did a full restart *#7370# and walla!!!!!!!!! ok all my data was lost(contacts, smses and stuff) i took out the mem card before so it wouldnt get erased. so..... *#7370# is a very important code remember it!!!!!!!!!

Jon3G
15th June 2005, 10:17 AM
I am glad you sorted it

Hypnotic
15th June 2005, 12:30 PM
I HEALED MY PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know what it was but it caused me alot of stress anyway i did a full restart *#7370# and walla!!!!!!!!! ok all my data was lost(contacts, smses and stuff) i took out the mem card before so it wouldnt get erased. so..... *#7370# is a very important code remember it!!!!!!!!!

Lmao i'm surprised you didn't know this was the master reset code. Theres a soft reset code as well.

Heres a tip... do what i do, back up all your data every weekend and then do a master reset, then put the data back on the phone. And to aoid losing your contacts, go to contacts, click options>mark/unmark and mark all, then click options again and choose copy to sim directory. Take the sim card out before you reset the phone just to make sure the phone doesn't delete the numbers on the sim as well. This is the best way to make sure your phone is virus free and that it is operating at maximum efficiency.

Jon3G
15th June 2005, 12:40 PM
Lmao i'm surprised you didn't know this was the master reset code. Theres a soft reset code as well.

Heres a tip... do what i do, back up all your data every weekend and then do a master reset, then put the data back on the phone. And to aoid losing your contacts, go to contacts, click options>mark/unmark and mark all, then click options again and choose copy to sim directory. Take the sim card out before you reset the phone just to make sure the phone doesn't delete the numbers on the sim as well. This is the best way to make sure your phone is virus free and that it is operating at maximum efficiency.

He tried doing a soft reset, but that did not work as explained above in the first post.

The only problem with you way of backing up the phone numbers is

If you have more numbers than you sim can hold

Why not use the back up utility that comes with the phone itself. The Nokia software is far better and you can also back up the entire phone

Ben
15th June 2005, 12:54 PM
"Why not use the back up utility that comes with the phone itself. The Nokia software is far better and you can also back up the entire phone"

I agree 110%.

I also think that regular master resets is total overkill and mobile viruses still haven't affected more than a handful of phones in the millions of smartphones out there. You also know about it if you have one! Copying contacts back to the SIM card often concatonates long names and splits up names with multiple entries, making a royal mess of everything - there's no reason to do it when there are so many other ways to back-up and synchronise!

Hypnotic
15th June 2005, 03:49 PM
"Why not use the back up utility that comes with the phone itself. The Nokia software is far better and you can also back up the entire phone"

I agree 110%.

I also think that regular master resets is total overkill and mobile viruses still haven't affected more than a handful of phones in the millions of smartphones out there. You also know about it if you have one! Copying contacts back to the SIM card often concatonates long names and splits up names with multiple entries, making a royal mess of everything - there's no reason to do it when there are so many other ways to back-up and synchronise!

Yea you would THINK that, but how many viruses have i encountered on multiple people's phones that have viruses that can't be detected by Simworks, F-Secure and Symantic Mobile Security. Just because they aren't detected that doesn't mean they aren't on your phone. If you don't install programs and use bluetooth then there would be no need to do this because you wouldn't get viruses, but if you are a regular bluetooth user and install programs then this would be a good thing to do. Why have a smartphone though if you do not use bluetooth and do not install programs, you've essentially just spent money on a phone with more features then you use, and could have bought a series 40 phone with the same features, saving you a lot of money. That what happens when you buy a phone just because it's the latest phone out :confused:

Jon3G
15th June 2005, 03:50 PM

All the software you need just incase you have lost you 6680 disk

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,71233,00.html

maven
16th June 2005, 10:37 AM

I agree 110%.

I never thought I'd ever say this but thank the Lord for Microsoft Outlook :D

Jon3G
16th June 2005, 11:39 AM
Yea you would THINK that, but how many viruses have i encountered on multiple people's phones that have viruses that can't be detected by Simworks, F-Secure and Symantic Mobile Security. Just because they aren't detected that doesn't mean they aren't on your phone. If you don't install programs and use bluetooth then there would be no need to do this because you wouldn't get viruses, but if you are a regular bluetooth user and install programs then this would be a good thing to do. Why have a smartphone though if you do not use bluetooth and do not install programs, you've essentially just spent money on a phone with more features then you use, and could have bought a series 40 phone with the same features, saving you a lot of money. That what happens when you buy a phone just because it's the latest phone out :confused:

You must have meet some unlucky people, I have loads of contacts in the mobile industry and most use smartphone and not one has told me about getting virus.

You may be getting mistaken between a software/hardware fault and a virus. The threat of mobile virus is low, but it does exist.

Hypnotic
16th June 2005, 12:01 PM
You may be getting mistaken between a software/hardware fault and a virus. The threat of mobile virus is low, but it does exist.

No... I know what a virus is, having programmed a few myself, none for symbian though. I know how they work, how to locate them, how to remove them or disable them, I used to have a virus pool if ya didn't know (probably didn't). I know faults and i know viruses, and these were viruses.

MR_G
16th June 2005, 12:36 PM
What ani-virus software is available for the 6680, i notice that the symantec does not support the 6680..

bsrjl1
16th June 2005, 01:55 PM
F-Secure Anti Virus http://mobile.f-secure.com/nokia/oem/

Looks like it needs an internet connection: If you would like to verify that you have an Internet connection, which you need in order to activate F-Secure Mobile Anti-Virus and the automatic antivirus update service, you can test it by entering https://msp.f-secure.com/web-test/ to your mobile browser.

Ben
16th June 2005, 02:11 PM
Why have a smartphone though if you do not use bluetooth and do not install programs, you've essentially just spent money on a phone with more features then you use, and could have bought a series 40 phone with the same features, saving you a lot of money. That what happens when you buy a phone just because it's the latest phone out :confused:
Rubbish... I use bluetooth but I never accept random things over it - I use it for what it was designed for, being pairing with other devices so I can make use of them wirelessly. I only purchase/install applications from reputable sources. The Symbian OS is pretty damn secure - with minimal caution there is absolutely no need to run antivirus on a smartphone and still make full use of bluetooth and the phones capability to be expanded with additional applications.

Hypnotic
16th June 2005, 03:26 PM
Rubbish... I use bluetooth but I never accept random things over it - I use it for what it was designed for, being pairing with other devices so I can make use of them wirelessly. I only purchase/install applications from reputable sources. The Symbian OS is pretty damn secure - with minimal caution there is absolutely no need to run antivirus on a smartphone and still make full use of bluetooth and the phones capability to be expanded with additional applications.

Lol who on earth would accept random files through bluetooth? If you did you deserve to get the virus. You say you use bluetooth for what it was made for - being paired with other devices to use them wirelessly. Being paired with other devices wasn't an original bluetooth feature, and isn't on all phones. It was made to transfer files over a wireless network, called a PAN. Sending and recieving files IS what it was made for, so theres really no point saying you use it for what is was made for, as that is what everyone uses it for. Sure, some people use it for internet connections with their pc, but bluetooth wasn't specifically made for that, as you can also achieve this via cable and infrared. You only get files from a reputable source. Well thats good for you, if you do not wish to accept them over bluetooth or download them from sources other than the company site then you are being cautious, which is good, but what about people without a credit card or a way to purchase items online? I guess they shouldn't have the phone then should they? Bullshit. They have as much right to have it as everyone else. Maybe where you live there aren't many viruses around, but anyone who lives in london like i do knows of everything that can and will probably happen. Getting everything from a reputable source doesn't mean you will not contract a virus, it just reduces your chances. Yea the OS is secure, just like a pc is, probably more secure than a pc as there are not set phone IP's and such for people to exploit, but if you believe that is enough for you to be safe then you really are fooling yourself. You can make full use of bluetooth without having an antivirus obviously, but that doesn't mean you won't get a virus. I sent you a file over msn which you installed, how would you know that i didn't implement a virus into it. You coulda had a virus on your phone and with no antivirus you would have no idea that you had it. This was on the first day that i met you btw. You say with minimal caution there is no need to run an antivirus, yet you seem to be pretty damn cautious in what you do, and no, im not getting confused between not being as cautious and being stupid.

Btw, symantec does support the 6680, I have the 60 day trial installed, and i also have kaspersky and f-secure.

Jon3G
16th June 2005, 03:51 PM
People who dont know about BT security or dont care accept random connections in pubs. It is very popular in pubs and clubs to transfer video files or pics. But most dont think people are bent on passing virus around and causing distruction.