View Full Version : Vodafone PAYG Dongle Partially Unlocked

3GScottishUser
15th May 2010, 08:08 AM
I recently decided to unlock my Vodafone PAYG MB Dongle for use in Turkey.

Before I unlocked it I put in the Turkish Vodafone SIM and the software was happy to accept it! No unlock needed and all of the settings are already within the Vodafone Mobile Connect software package. Nice One! I wonder if the dongle and software can be used with all Vodafone networks without unlocking?

I have still unlocked it though (Code Unlock from e-bay - £1.49) and what a doddle to connect to any network now. No software revision required as it can connect directly from the icon in the Windows Netwok area. I tested this with 3 UK and it worked perfectly (well as perfectly as 3 allows!). Within a few minutes I had surfed a few pages and I checked my balance to find 30p worth of data charges! So it works!

Vodafone Turkey charge 30YTL for 1 month of data access with 1GB allowance which is not bad compared with the UK roaming charge nonsense!

Ben
15th May 2010, 01:32 PM
Good stuff! Mobile broadband abroad is a godsend, but can be an incredibly expensive one :( I've knowingly spent hundreds on roaming data... plus there was that one time when Vodafone cocked up and added some extra zeros! Not planning on going abroad this year, but if I do I'll be very interested to see how things have improved, if at all.

Local SIMs is definitely the way to go I suppose. May have to think about unlocking some of my dongles. I did try unlocking a Vodafone one once with software supplied by them, but it absolutely didn't work - the software didn't even want to know! eBay may be the answer :/

Hands0n
15th May 2010, 03:15 PM
eBay is ALWAYS the answer to unlocking these days. I got my clutch of T-Mobile G1s unlocked before handing over to the two boys for £8 a piece. The code is genuine HTC and survives any ROM updates, official or unofficial.

AFAIK the Vodafone USB Stick is unlocked if bought on contract, just like their phones. I've used other SIMs in mine. It would be worth a try first before travelling though

miffed
15th May 2010, 04:22 PM
The o2 ones are unlocked two , in fact I never use the two I bought now as I have the three mi-fi thingy .... So if you get stuck Ben you are welcome to borrow one of them (bought one for me and one for my daughter ..... who decided she didn't want it !! )

Hands0n
15th May 2010, 06:07 PM
Actually ... come to that ... I have three BNIB O2 USB sticks too. Bought them when Littlewoods was banging them out cheap, had a few people I thought could use them. But got that wrong LOL. So they're just spares looking for good homes... The SIMs are expired and now useless - but the USB stick is unlocked.