View Full Version : ipad 32gb!

chaslam
19th May 2010, 01:47 AM
Hey guys,

Just got back from my travels round the world today, ipad in hand :). Got the 32GB wifi one in the states. Wow is it good. Anyone want to know anything about it then let me know. Its incredible!

Ben
19th May 2010, 11:03 AM
Wow! Congrats; on the voyage and the iPad!

What's the killer feature for you? What are you using it for, primarily?

Hands0n
19th May 2010, 09:13 PM
Cor, I'm green with envy :D

I may just wait it out till the second generation with funky new Arm processor that is supposed to multi-task better. But then again, I bet that as soon as I see one I'll buy it ;)

So you're liking it? What would you say is the biggest thing about it that you like?

chaslam
24th May 2010, 03:43 PM
Hey sorry been getting back to normal over the past few days. 3 months away really takes its toll!

Killer feature for me is definitely the browsing experience. Its out of this world. Its lightning quick and amazing screen. The screen is the best thing about this thing. Its huge and such high res and so bright! I will take a picture next to my iphone later so you can see how big it is. Its alot bigger and alot thinner then I thought it would be from the pictures ive seen. Hands0n, I was thinking the same as you, although once you use one of these babys you will buy it there and then. Its so nice just to sit in bed or infront of the TV with and browse.

Worst thing is the flash. As im sure your aware flash and apple dont go together at the moment, which is a shame, alothough I can see where apple are coming from. Safari has crashed 3 times in the past 2 days because of flash, and it would be a shame if that is what happened to the ipad ever 5 minutes.

Is it a gimmick? I little, however once you own one and use one, you realise how useful something like this actually is, and how convenient it is.

Hands0n
24th May 2010, 07:15 PM
You really are not helping me NOT buy one ;)

I suspect you're right though - once I have one in hand I'll probably just go for it. I've had the cash burning a hole in my biscuit tin for months in eager anticipation :D

I am really quite annoyed about this whole Adobe Flash debacle. Yesterday I found my first Flash website that crashed my Android 2.2 Froyo browser - and of all things it was an Android support site :eek: What's the odds on that then? So maybe Steve Jobs has a point, and a very valid one at that. It did bug the hell out of me and the only way to visit that website without the browser crashing was to turn off the Flash add-in. Whats the point of all that then?!! Bah!

HTML5 is the future, and one that will grow rapidly as soon as people realise that they can build websites without the additional overhead of purchasing Adobe Flash licences. Give it time, and not too long I suspect, and HTML5 will dominate Flash, at least for Web. And not a moment too soon. I have seen what can be done and really, for those that get it, there really is no need for Flash.

I'll likely get the bottom-end iPad as I don't really see me needing oodles of memory for the thing. My use is unlikely to make Steve Jobs a millionaire overnight :)

chaslam
24th May 2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah flash is frustrating. Ive noticed all the big US sites have now moved to HTML5 since the ipad launch, and it really is very very smooth. Watching a video of Android 2.2 with flash enabled reminded me of the first days of web browsing devices. It looks very choppy. The ipad is just so smooth. I didnt really see the need for 3G, as I can get a much cheaper 3G contract without a "Microsim" and use that with the wifi and save the £100 odd!

chaslam
24th May 2010, 08:35 PM
Have also just realised, you can have up to 6 items in the dock at the bottom rather then the standard 4! Nice option!

Hands0n
24th May 2010, 09:51 PM
Yea, I've been experiencing Flash 10 Beta on my Google Nexus One with Android 2.2 Froyo and I can safely say that I am not entirely enjoying the experience too much. Steve Jobs may well have been right in everything he said that was critical of Flash in the mobile environment. There is a comparison of the Froyo Browser with Flash against the iPhone 3GS and HTC HD2, the latter two without Flash of course. I'll not spoil the show, but suffice to say that it matches my own experience so far. You can see it here http://bit.ly/al1rDm

If I get the iPad then I'll likely use it tethered to my Nexus One using Froyo's new WiFi tether :) on the odd occasion that I need 3G on the move.

chaslam
25th May 2010, 09:13 PM
Here is a short video of the ipad in action showing the smoothness and clarity of the screen. Sorry if the video is a bit shoddy, filmed it in a bit of a rush!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsPNK7IeiRg

Hands0n
25th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Nice one sir :) Very nice indeed. The device looks like it is very smooth in operation, that much comes across. Lordy, I have got to take a practical look at one when they [finally] arrive :) I know whats going to happen!

Ben
26th May 2010, 11:09 AM
Beautiful! Particularly liking the opening on Talk3G ;) Thanks chaslam!

Roll on Friday...