View Full Version : Android 2.2 aka Froyo - What to expect when it arrives.

Hands0n
21st May 2010, 05:34 PM
This week we have witnessed the Google I/O give away what is to be expected in the next release of Android, that being 2.2 codenamed Froyo.

The biggest news seems to be that Android 2.2 will represent a significant uplift in performance and speed - cited at being 4.5 times that of a device running Android 2.1. Largely this is due to the use of a new JIT (Just In Time) compiler for the Java apps. But they have also popped in the V8 Javascript engine into the built-in web browser that is pretty rapid anyway (it certainly slaughters the iPhone's browser).

The new Android 2.2 is going to be a tetherer's dream come true with built-in WiFi hotspot that turns the handset into a 3G/WiFi router that you can share on the move with other WiFi devices such as Laptops and Netbooks. Nice (unless you have a Vodafone contract ...).

The 2.2 SDK is already out - as are some embryonic community ROMs sporting the new OS. But officially it is only the Google Nexus One that is going to get the first bite of the 2.2 Froyo cherry (soon). Other devices will follow as the OS is released to the manufacturers a few weeks later.

My own thoughts?
I have the Google Nexus One and have been very happy with it. It does, however, seem to lack a certain buzz to it. The thing is hard to articulate, but there is just something missing. I do believe that Android 2.2 Froyo release will fill in this apparent gap. The new JIT is likely to fully liberate the superb hardware that is the Nexus One.

I can't wait :D

As we mentioned earlier, today’s keynote at Google I/O 20210 was almost all about the FroYo, now officially Android 2.2. All of the rumored improvements proved to be true, with the speed and performance components bringing the biggest wow factor. Here’s a rundown of what’s new:

Performance & speed: The new Dalvik JIT compiler in Android 2.2 delivers between a 2-5X performance improvement in CPU-bound code vs. Android 2.1 according to various benchmarks.

New enterprise capabilities: We’ve added Exchange capabilities such as account auto-discovery and calendar sync. Device policy management APIs allow developers to write applications that can control security features of the device such as the remote wipe, minimum password, lockscreen timeout etc.

Faster, more powerful browser: We have brought the V8 JavaScript engine to the Android browser as part of 2.2. This has resulted in a 2-3X improvement in JavaScript performance vs. 2.1.

Rich set of new APIs and services: New data backup APIs enable apps to participate in data backup and restore, allowing an application’s last data to be restored when installed on a new or a reset device. Apps can utilize Android Cloud to Device Messaging to enable mobile alert, send to phone, and two-way push sync functionality. Developers can now declare whether their app should be installed on internal memory or an SD card. They can also let the system automatically determine the install location. On the native side, a new API now gives access to Skia bitmaps.

Additions to Android Market: Android Market provides Android Application Error Reports, a new bug reporting feature, giving developers access to crash and freeze reports from users. Developers will be able to access these reports via their account on the Android Market publisher website.

Home screen: New Home screen tips widget assists new users on how to configure the home screen with shortcuts and widgets and how to make use of multiple home screens. The Phone, applications Launcher, and Browser now have dedicated shortcuts on the Home screen, making it easy to access them from any of the 5 home screen panels.

Camera and Gallery: Gallery allows you to peek into picture stacks using a zoom gesture. Camera onscreen buttons provide easy access to a new UI for controling zoom, flash, white balance, geo-tagging, focus and exposure. Camcorder also provides an easy way to set video size/quality for MMS and YouTube. With the LED flash now enabled for the Camcorder, videos can be shot at night or in low light settings.

Portable Hotspot: Certain devices like the Nexus One can be turned into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that can be shared with up to 8 devices. You can use your Android-powered phone as a 3G connection for a Windows or Linux laptop by connecting their phone to the computer with a USB cable. The connection is then shared between the two devices.

Languages: Multi-lingual users can add multiple languages to the virtual keyboard and switch between multiple Latin-based input languages by swiping across the space bar. This changes the keys as well as the auto-suggest dictionary.

That’s a pretty hefty list, and that’s only for the front-end. Backend features for developers have also been greatly enhanced, which we’ll detail in another post.

So now the last big question remains: When will 2.2 be released? On Twitter, Google I/O has already stated Nexus One will be the first to get the upgrade “In the next few weeks”, and 2.2 going to device manufactuers and the open source community “in the coming weeks”. Developers can already download Android 2.2 SDK and NDK revision 4 at Android.

It looks like Nexus One isn’t so dead after all.

Article Source: http://www.androidspin.com/2010/05/20/google-dishes-out-the-froyo-nexus-one-first-in-line/