View Full Version : Need advice for Netbook!

PhilipChan
23rd May 2010, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, I created this topic and account since ill be receiving my Advent 4213 in the upcoming days (I might be a active member, depends how the community is at helping etc (: '.
The Advent 4213 has a inter-grated 3G device inside along with other components such as bluetooth, wifi etc.

I was wondering if to install 'TinyXP' , this 'OS' is to improve the WindowXP SP3 performance dramatically as it did work on my previous old laptop. Although they was a few error due to being in beta, overall it used less ram and improve performance.

However the problems which I am concerned with is the 3G modem not being able to detect or the program loss after install. If so, could anyone provide me to a website WITH the correct program?

(Also would I lose my wifi and bluetooth?)

Thanks,
Philo

Hands0n
23rd May 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Philo - welcome to Talk3G

The answers to you questions all relate to whether or not the existing Windows XP drivers for the Advent 4213 will work with "Tiny XP" which I have no practical experience of. I know that the Advent drivers are available for XP and Vista/Windows 7 only and I have Windows 7 working on my Advent 4213 - where everything is working as it did in Windows XP.

So, we may be able to help you - but the chances are that if Tiny XP has not the available drivers that you will end up breaking your Advent 4213.

solo12002
23rd May 2010, 06:49 PM
@handson

in mot sure how you got the enbeded 3g modem working with windows 7 I never did and give up in the end.

Hands0n
23rd May 2010, 07:30 PM
@solo12002 - I managed to get the necessary drivers from one of the Advent support sites ... I also re-used the original Windows utility to make the special function keys work (the ones that turn the radio off and on and suchlike). This thread on Talk3G helped me - I followed a few of the links and ended up in the right places .. https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?7620-Advent-4213-Update-to-Windows-7&daysprune=-1

Is it only the 3G modem that you don't have working? If so I should be able to cobble together the drivers for you to download.

miffed
23rd May 2010, 09:06 PM
With that Tiny XP thing , there is one thing I'd be a little wary of .....

I remember using an app (xLite maybe ?) to create a slimmed down ISO to install XP on the EEE PC when it first came out. ,I also tried a view "pre shrunk" versions , which other users had prepared earlier.
I found with some of these versions , My Huawei e220 simply would not install - and it turned out there is a file/files that relate to "modem support" that get deleted , under the assumption that they are solely to do with built in 56k hardware , and that any newly added modem will bring its own files
If the "editor" of your ISO delelted these files ,all you'll know is that your modem will not install for toffee !! , better to find this out sooner rather than later (after hours of XP updates and software installing ) . AFAIK the only solution was to reinstall the OS from a better ISO

solo12002
23rd May 2010, 09:16 PM
Is it only the 3G modem that you don't have working ay handson thats all everything elso works well in windows 7

PhilipChan
23rd May 2010, 09:51 PM
Ahh right, I see! Looks like I just have to tweak some stuff in my lappy on Window XP!

Oh btw, I thought Window 7 performs abit slower than Window XP? Although Window 7 provides more stuff than Window XP.

So which one is best for not too detailed graphic games to use? Window 7 or XP?
(Maybe C:SS can be called abit detailed? Since I 'scrim' on it quite alot also I prefer performance over graphics since I have a a custom built gaming computer so graphics doesn't really bother me

Yes, C:SS can run on Advent 4213 or anything else with the similar specs, you just need to download some programs and tweaking abit!

Although i've heard that Window 7 performs better on C:SS than Window XP due to 'TNL' I think supporting Windows 7, I was wondering how many framerate difference would it be?)

EDIT: If possible, can anyone supply me the link to the download program for the modem instead of the website! That would be very nice if I chose Window 7 (: !

Hands0n
23rd May 2010, 10:54 PM
The Advent 4213 is an MSI Wind and all of the various drivers and utilities for Windows 7 (also for XP) can be found on this link here http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=nbdriver&maincat_no=135&prod_no=1764&driver_os_no=1#os including for the 3G card (Huawei 3G_EM770/EM730). Just scroll down the page and you'll find a link, click that and you'll be led easily to retrieve the file you are after.

Windows 7 runs quicker and better on the 4213 than Windows XP ever did. So I can recommend changing to Windows 7 if you can.

The Mullet of G
30th May 2010, 02:53 PM
I've got MicroXP on an old laptop, on older hardware its pretty speedy, but with a Windows folder around the 199MB mark it has some shortcomings. It sounds like your hardware is more than capable of running Windows 7, I've also found that Windows 7 performs better than XP if the hardware is decent, its also a vastly superior OS so I would highly recommend it.