View Full Version : World Of Nokia Closing

getti
1st June 2010, 09:32 PM
Today the final decision was made to close World Of Nokia from 10th June once the URL is up for renewal.

THe full brutal honest truth for the reasons behind this decision can be found over at

http://www.worldofnokia.co.uk/2010/06/world-of-nokia-to-close/

Hands0n
1st June 2010, 10:02 PM
Errr, wow. I would agree with much of what you have written, although I have been, and always will be, completely agnostic to any particular manufacturer. The firm that produces the most appropriate goods for my requirements gets my business. Thus I have never been loyal to Nokia or any other manufacturer for that matter.

That said, in the time that I have observed Nokia I believe that I have seen them circuit the Champ to Chump cycle on a number of occasions. I think you already know where in the cycle they are right now, given your announcement.

You have put in a tremendous amount of effort into Nokia and been a staunch advocate of their company and its products. That you, and others, are now looking elsewhere for you "fix" is an indictment against Nokia. They really should listen, but I suspect that they will not.

miffed
2nd June 2010, 08:31 AM
Well , that really is a shame.

I pretty much Echo what Danny says . I have never hidden my dislike of Nokia post N95 , but then I am quite fickle , for Nokia to upset someone like me is all parr for the course.
But to have pushed a passionate , driven guy like yourself away from them really is a shame , and something that I feel they will live to regret. The support and loyalty from guys like yourselves , AAS etc is something that they won't realise the value of until they are gone.

Anyway , screw Nokia , they'll be fine ! I think they WILL get it back again , but I don't think it will be overnight with a product launch , I think they'll churn out cheap PAYG stuff to pay the bills etc . and their market share will drop a little as the likes of Android & Apples increase , ......then , when we are all used to the new world order of Smartphones, Nokia will drop a bombshell and they'll be back ! ....but how much loyalty they lose in the meantime remains to be seen

Really is their loss , I sincerely hope you can find another avenue to channel your passion and dedication , it would be a shame to waste them.

getti
2nd June 2010, 09:44 AM
Since February I write for CoolSmartPhone and my first job was to attend MWC all paid for to cover the event for them and Sony Ericsson so it was a great start.

I can concentrate more on that for now but also part of my reasons as I am looking for a job at Apple and if I was to get in I would not be able to write a site and especially for a different manufacturer lol

chaslam
2nd June 2010, 06:02 PM
The problem that I have found to be the biggest one is evolution. Nokia just cant get symbian right, and they need to see that, to get it right, they need to start from bog basics, build up an operating system from scratch, and put S60 and the likes behind them. Look at Android and iPhone OS. If I had mentioned those 3 4 years ago, no one would have known what I was talking about. Yet Symbian has been around for years, but still seems to be more unstable and buggy then the 2 new boys on the block. It almost feels like Symbian is now the granddad, and Android and iPhone OS is like the arrogant little Grandchildren who have to teach everything to Symbian!

It actually angered me slightly when I saw that the N8 was running symbian. Lets hope that Meego will be as good as expected and steals a bit of the OS limelight back into Nokias court! My view is is that Nokia havent really done anything new since the N95. All the Nseries phones seem to be a ever so slightly improved version of the N95, either with larger memory or a touch screen.

Ben
3rd June 2010, 12:21 AM
Very sad news indeed, but I did think the final post put across your reasons well and I'm sure you both have many positive experiences to take away from it - not to mention a wealth of friends and contacts who I'm sure will be right behind you on future endeavours!

I used to have a certain emotional attachment to my Nokia's that these days tends to only happen when I encounter an Apple product. Call me fickle, but Nokia is definitely missing soul these days, whichever way you shake it.

velvet
20th June 2010, 11:03 AM
Really!? I can't believe it, Nokia performs great then why are they closing it. Nokia is great innovator.
Please can anyone tell me about this if this is really true?

getti
20th June 2010, 02:36 PM
World Of Nokia is a website I have been running for 2 years and that is what is closing down, nothing to do with Nokia as a company :)