View Full Version : Htc desire - phone update

solo12002
3rd June 2010, 08:43 AM
Thers a new update for the HTC Desire out. http://www.htc.com/uk/support.aspx

Im in process of updating now so dont know what contents as yet

miffed
3rd June 2010, 09:58 AM
I can't see it ? I can only see the Legend /Tattoo etc ?

...I'll look again !!

miffed
3rd June 2010, 09:59 AM
Ah , Bravo ! ...silly me !

(Woo hoo !)

Hatticus
3rd June 2010, 02:04 PM
This OTA update is killing the Wifi on unbranded phones, so use caution

EDIT to clarify: by unbranded I'm referring to phones which have been flashed with a generic ROM (ie my Orange branded Desire)

miffed
3rd June 2010, 02:23 PM
Interesting , mine (factory generic) seems to be fine so far . When you flashed your desire , did you flash the Radio too ? - perhaps if you didn't , it confuses things ?

Also interesting that you got a generic update ... I'd have thought the OTA system would have lumbared you with an Orange branded variant ? as surely the identifying markers are "hard wired" (hence the need for the Goldcard ?)

Hatticus
3rd June 2010, 02:26 PM
I flashed my ROM when I first got the phone using the instructions in this thread: https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?7996-HTC-Desire-Ruined-by-Orange-Branding&p=38660. I believe it did also flash the radio.

Hands0n
3rd June 2010, 08:59 PM
I can confirm that updating the Desire with the OTA does indeed cause a WiFi problem. It is impossible to turn on the WiFi. This is not good.

Time for some serious investigation.

Hands0n
3rd June 2010, 09:33 PM
A thread to keep an eye on. I suspect the fix will come out of the conversation here http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/310230/fota-update-1-21-405-2/

Clearly some mismatch, I suspect that it is in the radio software that needs updating. This same website also has links for RUU for returning the HTC Desire to stock with the exception of Orange UK for some reason!

miffed
3rd June 2010, 10:00 PM
There is a thread on XDA developers thats 11 pages long , looks like some people have dug themselves out of this hole with various methods . Seems to be the Orange handsets that are the problem - mine is fine.
It seems you have to be careful , when updating official , that you are updating from an official ROM / Radio / combination.

Live and learn eh ? if there is a solution to be had (and 99.999% or the time there is !) ....it will be over there !

Hatticus
4th June 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm thinking about just re-flashing my Desire with the original generic ROM that I used. I should still have the files somewhere if anyone needs it

Hands0n
4th June 2010, 07:23 PM
I have been looking around for the Orange RUU file but there does not seem to be anything about at the moment. Oddly enough, there are RUU for all of the other UK operators that the Desire is being sold from. Of course, there are also RUU for the factory-spec (i.e. as supplied by Expansys and the like). It may well be an idea to load up one of those that are intended for the UK market and see if that updates FOTA to the 2.1update-1.

Hatticus
6th June 2010, 04:33 PM
Think I'm just going to go with the original RUU file. The newer RUUs seem to SIM lock the phone and require the purchasing of an unlock code :(

Hands0n
6th June 2010, 06:24 PM
@Hatticus - I've not been able to track down an original Orange RUU. Have you got a link to a resource?

Hatticus
7th June 2010, 09:12 AM
@Hatticus - I've not been able to track down an original Orange RUU. Have you got a link to a resource?

The RUU I'm referring to is not an original Orange one, but Paul from MoDaCo's one. There doesn't seem to be an Orange one yet (with or without Orange bloatware)

Hands0n
7th June 2010, 09:17 PM
Damn! I couldn't get on to Modaco, the site seemed to be down tonight, so I went to XDA forum and downloaded a signed RUU from there for a generic version. The Desire has SIM locked and so I've had to order an unlock code from ebay for £9. That won't be here until tomorrow sometime.

Darn consarn it :(

Hands0n
7th June 2010, 11:03 PM
Update: The eBay seller must be working nights :) The unlock code arrived a few minutes ago. It needed to be entered into the handset twice and then the unlock happened.

That's it. Job done. :)

Hatticus
8th June 2010, 12:56 PM
Update: The eBay seller must be working nights :) The unlock code arrived a few minutes ago. It needed to be entered into the handset twice and then the unlock happened.

That's it. Job done. :)

Is everything working OK now? Can't decide if it's best to reflash with the original RUU or get this new one and unlock the SIM. Any ideas what's going to be best come Froyo time?

Hands0n
8th June 2010, 11:19 PM
Yes, the lad's happy as the proverbial dog with two wotsits again :) The unlock is tied to the IMEI so if anything happens to lock it again it will be a trivial job to unlock it.

I reckon that Froyo will be available for the generic firmware first, and then via the various mobile network operator brandings, if at all. The thing is, the Orange branding and purposeful crippling of GTalk will continue in Froyo. I suspect that Orange will also want the built-in Tethering capability neutered. Thus the Orange-branded Froyo-based Desire is likely to be a shadow of the generic or unbranded/unfiddled-with distributions of Froyo.

The thing is, if you have the original Orange RUU (I still cannot locate one!!) then you've got the full choice of what to do, and when :) Marvelous.

Hatticus
9th June 2010, 09:16 AM
Did mine too last night using the WWE SIM locking ROM. Hopefully now I'm using this ROM there should be no hiccups when it's Froyo time. Whenever that may be...