View Full Version : WAP access to Talk3G?

CybaCowboy
15th June 2005, 08:12 AM
Can Talk3G's forums be accessed on the mobile Internet (WAP)?

Jon3G
15th June 2005, 11:01 AM
I would not think so, because talk 3G is run on php script.

I may be wrong

Ben
15th June 2005, 12:46 PM
Hi CybaCowboy :)

Talk3G.co.uk can be accessed via mobile phone web browsers such as the one Nokia preinstall on their Symbian Series 60 OS ohones and Opera. I have successfully posted on here from my 6680.

However, there is not yet a 'stripped down' WAP version for mobiles without full web browsers. I hope to find some kind of 'plugin' for this in the future after vBulletin moves to the new plugin-based system and away from code hacks.

CybaCowboy
16th June 2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I look forward to a mobile Internet (WAP) version of Talk3G in the future...

Hands0n
20th June 2005, 12:53 AM
Just accessed Talk3G on my iPAQ 4150 (using WiFi as I'm at home). The Talk3G server seems to recognise that I'm on a non-standard browser (IE for the pocket pc) and reformats the pages to try and fit. Oddly enough, in a single thread some of the postings format to the width of the screen, others exceed it by a large amount requiring horizontal scrolling to view all of the text. This might be configrable in vBulletin which is used on websites that support PocketPC [style] browsers in PDAs and Handsets.

Ben
20th June 2005, 12:01 PM
Hey Hands0n,

I think it's more likely that the mobile version of the browser you're using is doing some clever trickery to try and automatically reformat the pages into a version displayable to you.

Items such as non-breaking-spaces and long images are probably the cause of horizontal scrolling where there should be a wrap.

Hopefully some sort of mobile plugin will surface once vBulletin 3.5 makes it out of the stable.

CybaCowboy
21st June 2005, 10:18 AM
Yes, by default Pocket Internet Explorer attempts to reformat "full" Internet pages for the small screen and, in most cases, succeeds to a large extent...

You can change the way in which Pocket Internet Explorer formats "full" Internet pages; I haven't got my Pocket PC on me at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the other two options are "Desktop" and "Single column" (I think it might be in the "View" menu...).

bsrjl1
21st June 2005, 11:56 AM
Looks like we'll have to wait until early 2006 before Nokia's new Webkit browser is out & see how well that handles sites!