View Full Version : How goes with your iPad?

Ben
17th June 2010, 03:04 AM
We've had the iPad for a little while now and I was wondering - how are you getting on with yours?

I haven't had a great deal of time to play with mine, but as I sit here on it now I'm constantly reminded what a fabulous window to the web this is. Pages were meant to be touched - this is the future for sure.

Travelling with the MiFi has also been great. Yes, integrated 3G does appeal, but in all honesty I think we're 'not quite there' yet. I'm not, anyway. Angry Birds HD, on the other hand - I'm there!

Quite simply loving the battery life.

I can't quite trust the iPad enough to leave my MacBook Air at home yet. Sometimes I just need a laptop. But I'm hopeful that carrying just one of these with me is in my future.

In summary, I think it's a fantastic product that's still finding its place. Should it have shipped with iOS 4? Yes. But I'm glad to have 3.2 in the meantime.

miffed
17th June 2010, 06:49 AM
I am loving mine . It has taken over from my MBA for pretty much everything , never thought I'd see the dy when the MBA becomes too "big and cumbersome" ,but here we are !

bit of a concern. - wifi drops occasionally , and will tell me it is unable to rejoin the network. - apparently this will be addressed with a fix soon. Doesn't happen often ,but its still annoying !

I now I should have picked up a genuine Apple case when I bought the thing , but stupidly , I didn't ! And it seems these are hard to come by now . Until I get one , the iPad is not coming out of the house ! I took it out to work once , wrapped in a towel , lol ! ...I have since picked up one of those silicone cases , and a screen protector. - the screen protector looked and felt awful so I binned it ! The silicon case is fine , but the screen is somewhat vulnerable While travelling , I'll be far happier with the proper appl case

Ben
17th June 2010, 12:12 PM
Ah yes, the Apple case is very good. But because I put my iPad straight into it I've never really felt the thing naked so I feel like I'm missing out a bit. The case isn't exactly easy to slip on and off. However, folding the cover back, as it is now, puts the iPad into a great position for on-lap browsing and typing - I can't imagine not having it, Apple really should include it as standard.

Wish it would charge off of my Mac mini. Keep forgetting to plug it into the wall!

Hands0n
17th June 2010, 09:27 PM
I have had mine back in the office again today at the request of a number of my work colleagues :)

I, too, have mine in the stock Apple case. At first I thought it felt very flimsy but it is surprisingly tough and very functional. Although it picks up marks they all wipe off very easily. I cannot quite figure out what the material is, but it is bloody marvelous.

I bought Pages and Numbers, these two apps I use on my Mac kit also. These are "children" of the Mac apps, they work well, but they are somewhat lacking in a key functionality and that is in sharing with other apps such as Microsoft Office. The export capability is under developed and needs work in the next update. That said, these are indeed excellent apps, very functional on the iPad out on the road.

The iPad itself still astounds and astonishes. I am still having a lot of fun with it. I do think that I could cope with life on the road instead of the laptop, but no way instead of the iPhone :)

Ben
21st June 2010, 01:07 AM
I've got my case off for the first time since I bought the iPad today. The device really does feel fantastic, I really don't like cases - especially on Apple products where so very much thought goes into the design and materials.

BUT the problem with the iPad is that it's just not practical without the case. It's not very comfortable to do any text entry whatsoever without the case to prop it up, and I feel like if I took it out of the house without the case it'd be scratched in a heartbeat.

So back in the case it'll have to go. Given how essential it is I don't see why Apple didn't bundle it. Would it have killed them? Really?

hecatae
21st June 2010, 08:55 AM
anyone jailbroke their ipad yet?

miffed
21st June 2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah , I did on the day after I got it , just to see if I could really ! Silly really as only opened Cydia once and haven't used it at all .

miffed
21st June 2010, 04:17 PM
Got a couple of little niggles .... nothing major at all , but perhaps things that were great on the iPhone form factor , but don't carry across so well

First one , not sure why I find this a problem , but I do ! - the Google search bar at the top right of safari , just has "Google" in it , so I tap it and start typing - and then when I his search , I realise I have just added my latest query at the end of my PREVIOUS query ! , not sure why I do this on the iPad and not the iPhone of full size Safari ? Maybe the other two it is so much easier to highlight all the text and "type over" the old query , but on the iPad it gets me EVERY TIME !!! , one day I'll remember to manually delete whatever is left in the.

....And the second thing , is the home button

Great on the iphone , as it is only a thumb away , but on the iPad in Lansdscape mode , it is a pain in the ass having to adjust my grip to shut an app the browser down !

OK , realistically we are talking minor niggles among plentiful "pros" , but still annoying

Anyone else found any niggles ?

Ben
21st June 2010, 05:01 PM
Totally with you on both of those, miffed. With search, the X to clear the box is much further away because of the area being so much wider. With the home button, one thing that bugs me is the distance away from everything I'm doing on the screen, and the other thing is that I never know where it is because of turning the iPad around!

Perhaps an X directly after the old search term and a home gesture would sort these out.