View Full Version : Installing a custom ROM on your Desire

gorilla
22nd June 2010, 04:12 PM
Has anyone tried this yet and is it difficult or take a particularly long time to do?

I'm thinking of following the instructions in this MoDaCo thread (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/311328/21-jun-r18-modaco-custom-rom-for-htc-desire-with-online-kitchen-froyo-frf72/).

The rumour mill and the jungle drums are claiming that 2.2 will arrive this week for the Desire but I might not be that patient!

miffed
22nd June 2010, 06:43 PM
I'd be tempted to leave it !! , if you look on this forum you'll see recently some guys had trouble , where they had flashed Orange branded Desires with T-mobiles generic firmware

All was fine with their devices , until HTC issued an OTA update , fixing a few issues - This resulted in the some people losing their wifi capabilty , and others having SIM locks applied where previously they had none !

As the 2.2 release is imminent , I'd be tempted to hold off till at least after it.

Hands0n
22nd June 2010, 08:22 PM
@gorilla - Miffed is right ... and then again ... maybe I'd not entirely agree :D

[B]He's right
Absolutely, those who flashed their Orange-supplied HTC Desires with the generic Bravo/Desire ROM ran into trouble because of a mismatch in the radio image. The HTC OTA update required a different radio and that caused the grief.

Yeah but ... no but ... yeah
However, if you follow the MoDaCo route to independent ROMs then you are leaving the supposed safety net of HTC and placing your dependency upon one of the independent ROM developers, of which there are dozens now. The ROM developer (Paul in this case) is unknown to me, and he does say that it is his first Froyo Android 2.2 ROM. I very much doubt that it is his first Android ROM ever - a bit of research is advised.

The ROM he has based this on (FRF72) is the latest Android 2.2 Froyo update as is in the Google Nexus One. The HTC Desire/Bravo and Nexus One are brothers in arms.

The article you've linked to assumes that you already have a rooted ROM installed, if not they're suggesting fake-flash (something I've not come across previously). But rooting Android is easy enough. If you follow the article and the links from it carefully you'll be okay .. probably ;)

gorilla
22nd June 2010, 09:52 PM
thanks guys, I think I'll give it a miss for a while as the phone is to new to risk messing with it. Give me another couple of weeks at least.

The Mullet of G
29th November 2010, 01:56 AM
I'm a little late to the party here, but I recently acquired a Desire. Within an hour of having it I'd rooted it and flashed a custom ROM. Its a pretty simple process and from what I can see you really can't fail, if it all goes wrong then just flash it again. Having said that I've now tried most of the custom ROM's available and if I'm being honest they are a little bit dull, some add a few nice features, but for the most part they are much the same. Also the boot time is now horrendously slow.