View Full Version : Can we have a Dell Streak forum please ?

miffed
2nd July 2010, 06:38 PM
Since I bought one this morning ! ;)

Why ? , you may ask ...Did I go out and spend £429 on Dell , when a (Cheapest case scenario) I could have had an iPhone 4 for £50 or so more ?

Well , TBH half the reason I chose a Streak is quite simply because it's NOT an iPhone !!! - I have been on board for all three of the predecessors , and I was singing the praises of iPhone one while the rest of the world were telling me the LG Viewty is 10 times the phone that the iPhone is (most of the people that told me that ,all have iPhones now , wonder what happened to their Viewty's ? ) I know how great the iPhone is , and I also know that in terms of UI nothing comes close .

But TBH the whole iPhone thing has become far too "mainstream" for my liking , I think I know fewer people that AREN"T getting an iPhone , than are !! , and of those people , many are old ladies and children..
No , it was great fun while it lasted , but I can put my hand on my heart and say I don't really want to be in the happy club , ...Maybe its because the cool kids would never play with me at school ? , I don't know , but when I see trend , I like to move away from it ...

So , I went out and bough myself a Streak ! , IDEAL ! , It appeals to me because I like big phone , and all the cool kids say it sucks .... PERFECT !!

First thing to note is the Packaging !! Gone is the luxurious iPhone or HTC packages .... back to the small shoe box with cheap moulded cardboard inserts (well ,its bamboo actually !) from the 90's (or more recently if you buy Nokia) .

I like the Aesthetics of the Streak , some would say it looks cheap and plasticcy - and to be fair it does !!, but something about it (when powered down ) reminds me of Knight Rider !! ,so it becomes uber coolio !

First things that strike you ? , this thing is BIG , and thin .... but it does have a well made feel about it Too big ? yeah maybe for some , not me personally as I like big phones , but I can imagine some getting a bit flappy about it . I have an ear on each side of my head , and a mouth on the front of my face , a good few inches away , so it suits me fine.

So , Power it up , and you're off - Interestingly , this is the first Android device I have used that doesn't launch straight into the Account set up initial switch on . meaning you are left to your own devices to get set up etc. ( wonder why ? )
Anyway , one Username and Password later , I am in business , all my Contacts , mail and calenders where just where I had left them . Changing phones is SO easy these days ! Googlesync rules.

Dell would like you to use the Device in landscape mode, this is how the buttons (capacitive) are marked , and Dells UI overlay ony works in landscape - I knew I was not going to put up with that from the second I read about it , so I had another launcher in mind.
Dells UI looks "nice' , they have made the Notifications bar a bit more functional and expandable ,at first I was not impressed and contemplated looking into getting a "Vanilla" experience on the streak , but (unusually for such a customisation) I do actually find it helpful and useful - so that gets a reprieve !
The thing I DON'T like about the UI is Dells customisation of the icons and Widgets , they look OK on the face of it , but when you try to customize your home screen , you find lots of wasted space, and the pact that all your small icons have black borders makes it all look a bit "buttony" and covers too much of the wallpaper - Speaking of wallpaper , the Panoramic one with the o2 on it is great , made up of 3 images that scroll as you flick through the homescreens .. BUT , if you want to change this image , you either have to make your own panorama , carefully cropping the 3 images so the transition is smooth , or accept that you'll lose the "flowy" look ,and switching home screens becomes bliocky and clunky !

I used a 3rd Party launcher , which pretty much kills all the Dell stuff except the Notifications bar (which I liked anyway )

So far , performance is amazing ! This devices is FAR better than the HTC Desire IMO , much snappier , and I suspect when it gets 2.2 (or if , lol ) it will be a force to be reckoned with. Considering it runs 1.6 it absolutely flies from what I have seen so far , but then a phone with 1Ghz CPU and 512mb RAM ought to really !!

Heres a couple of Pics , one with the 3GS (taken with n900, please excuse the poor quality) and one of my new UI (not stock Dell ) taken with the 3GS

http://yfrog.com/5uphotofsxj

http://yfrog.com/0x20090101003j

getti
2nd July 2010, 07:38 PM
Can you post up lots more pics with the screen on and in some apps. Sounds silly i know but im also thinking of getting one and only the size is putting me off but the extra screen space is handy.

Also how did you get the dell crap off to view in portrait mode, and it also looks like you have 2.2 by the launcher at the bottom?.

Thanks

miffed
2nd July 2010, 08:13 PM
I installed ADW launcher , and use that instead of home - Takes a bit of tinkering to get everything looking "native" on the the Streak , at first the icons look ridiculously spaced , and loads of space is wasted , but if you look in the Apps settings you can customize the grid sizes very easily and it ends up looking lovely
Posting pics on here is beyond me (LOL) , I'll sitck a load on facebook and send you a link to the Album - Any particular apps you want to see ?

hecatae
3rd July 2010, 02:05 PM
can we have an Android Forum

Hands0n
3rd July 2010, 10:25 PM
I went by the Bluewater O2 store today. Walked back, went in, turned around, walked out again ... I really could not do the O2 experience ever again. You're a brave man. Respect to you :)

miffed
4th July 2010, 07:48 AM
Likewise to you my brother (Anyone prepared to dance with the Big Red V is obviously prepared to put up with more crap than I am , LOL ! )

To be honest , walking into an o2 store and playing with a streak really doesn't give you any idea of how nice it is to use , - the UI Dell supply is a bit , ....well , crap TBH - and my initial priority was to get something looking like stock Android running on it !
After making the customisations I mentioned earlier (Handcent SMS , ADW Launcher , Better keyboard)
the UI is great , and in fact far better than I have come to expect from 1.6 device.

Haven't got around to doing those pics yet , may do a Video instead

Ben
4th July 2010, 10:21 AM
Enjoying your thoughts, miffed!

As for Streak and/or Android forums - sounds like a good idea on the face of it, but new house rules - we add one, we lose one! I'm open to suggestions as to where these forums could be placed and what would go to make room.

hecatae
4th July 2010, 10:53 AM
bye bye Sanyo & Toshiba forum

Hands0n
4th July 2010, 11:08 AM
We could probably cull all the minority forums into a single melting pot. The mainstream these days, those that raise the most questions, must surely be Apple, Nokia, HTC, Windows Mobile, Android, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Huawei (!!), - the rest fit into the existing "catch all" categories ...

I reckon :-)

@Miffed - Yea, thats so odd, that you get the good level of service on O2 that I get on Vodafone and vice versa.

I would probably like a Dell Streak SIM-free, but I am still not convinced about pulling out this dirty great 5" screen-based handset to make a phone call. All I can see in my mind's eye is Dom Joly - and he annoys the hell out of me :D

miffed
4th July 2010, 11:39 AM
Enjoying your thoughts, miffed!

As for Streak and/or Android forums - sounds like a good idea on the face of it, but new house rules - we add one, we lose one! I'm open to suggestions as to where these forums could be placed and what would go to make room.

Heh heh, biting my tongue here ....

NOT MUCH POINT ON HAVING A NOKIA FORUM ANY MORE !!! ......There , I said it :D

No , seriously though , things could become a little complicated here , with a variety of Android handsets becoming available - i.e. does a post about a Samsung Galaxy S come under "Samsung" or "Android" ?
Perhaps sub categories under Mboile OS's ? ...but again , they negate the manufacturers forums somewhat.

What do others think ?

miffed
4th July 2010, 02:32 PM
OK , I am far to impatient to do these things properly , but here is my attempt at a quick video

...Not sure what iMovie / Youtube has done , but the video had about an inch of clearance all the way around the phone , for some reason by the time it got to youtube it's like looking through a letterbox !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSoSJs7bRV0