View Full Version : Apple's Repair Service

miffed
11th July 2010, 09:06 AM
Having traded my 32GB 3GS away recently , the guy I traded with had some problems - these were partly to do with me forgetting that Beta software had an expiry date , and partly due to a bit of hardware failure , - Although I sold the device in good faith , I did say to the guy that any problems caused by my "tinkering" , and I'd be happy to reverse the deal.
Basically , the device was Jailbroken at every opportunity , UDID registered so used for Beta software , it also had some physical damage to the casing and screen

On getting it back , I was unable to flash or boot (spent two whole days messing around ) and contemplated putting on eBay as spares or repair

It had not even crossed my mind to persue a warranty claim , as I assumed a Jailbroken device was void , but I saw some people on forums saying they'd had some success in these circumstances

.....So I went to Apple's site to see how the land lay , entered my Serial / IMEI (printed on the SIM tray - handy to know !!) and ..you'll love this bit , Warranty expired THAT VERY DAY !!! This put the brakes on the idea of walking into an Apple store , but I did notice I could "request service" on the website , so I did !

The only details I had to put in were the Serial # and a quick description of the fault , this prompted all the details (Mine and the phones) to pop up , and all I had to do was click a confirmation - I then recieved an email telling my that I would recieve a box with instructions on how to send the the phone over the next two days
Next day , sure enough , a box arrived (well , actually a foam padded box, containing ANOTHER foam padded box , containing a neoprene sleeve !! (Belt and braces or what ? )
I packed the phone , put it in the prepaid bag , and handed into the Post Office , - All simple so far !

..... Now , I was not expecting them to play ball at all. I was expecting them to look at the casing and say "Abused" and return it to me , or claim accidental damage / liquid damage et - My experience of such services is such , ..but I thought "what have I got to lose ? "

I had been encouraged by Apple to "track my repair" , so I clicked on the link in the email ,and there I was , on a tracking page , at 8am it simply said "Service requested" - fair enough , ..... but at around lunchtime I decided to check to see if thehy had received the phone (thinking if it got lost , it might work to my advantage , LOL !!

I was amazed to see not only had my iPhone been received , but it's status had gone from "Issue identified" to "Pendong product replacement"...... Cool !
I then checked a few hours later and it had progressed to "Product Replacement Shipped" -Less than 24Hrs after I sent it in !! Complete with UPS tracking number , which gives a delivery date of Monday !

So it looks like I am getting a replacement ! and even a refurb (which its bound to be) is going to be better nick than my old one

This certainly goes against anything I've ever experienced with Phone manufacturer warranty ! Look at the effort on my part - two lines of text in a box on a webpage - put phone in box and hand over counter , only one full day without phone (well , 3 because it was over a weekend ) , Usually there are tales of being without a phone for weeks , only to be told it can't be repaired due to phantom water or accidental damage !

Cheers Apple ! the level of service here is something worth factoring in , when you are weighing up which phone to buy, but you don't thing of things like this until you have to use them .

Ben
11th July 2010, 11:00 AM
Wow, I'm really impressed! That goes a long way to disproving a lot of people's unfounded opinions at the moment that Apple somehow abuses its customers, views garnered simply from the media coverage of iPhone 4.

I've actually never had to have an iPhone replaced yet (unless I've completely forgotten?!) but I've witnessed and heard lots of good experiences.

All other manufacturers should take note.

The Mullet of G
13th July 2010, 01:49 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed! That goes a long way to disproving a lot of people's unfounded opinions at the moment that Apple somehow abuses its customers, views garnered simply from the media coverage of iPhone 4.

I've actually never had to have an iPhone replaced yet (unless I've completely forgotten?!) but I've witnessed and heard lots of good experiences.

All other manufacturers should take note.

How does this in any way disprove peoples recent opinions of Apple? They sold a product with a design flaw, when given the opportunity to put it right they pointed the finger elsewhere, papered over the cracks and managed to insult any iPhone 4 owner with a mental age above 12, maybe Apple customers consider this to be great service, but most normal people would feel somewhat abused.

I personally found Apples customer service to be amongst the worst I've ever experienced, it had the same walled garden feel that its iOS has, and due to me not owning a credit card I was on the wrong side of that wall. My only option is to travel 50 or 60 miles by bus to an Apple repair centre, apparently after 28 days of owning an iPod Touch my right of phone service ran out, even the cheapest and worst products I've ever bought had a number you could call if things went wrong in the warranty period. The most hilariously embarrassing part is they wont accept my debit card when it comes to offering customer service, but they happily take payments from the very same debit card everytime I buy something from the AppStore or iTunes, that about sums Apple up.