View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S

chaslam
11th July 2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Guys,

As some of you may be aware, I was due an upgrade not long ago, and instead of going for an iPhone 4 I decided to jump ship and go with the Samsung Galaxy S, mainly due to price.

Its arrived yesterday and ive had plenty of time to play around with it. This is the first time ive used an android phone extensively and boy am I impressed! Its not quite as polished as iOS but its getting there. Its fast and easy to use, and has lots of cool little features already built in which just make it. Specifically the built in mifi which works perfectly, and allows me to connect my ipad to the internet on the go without having to shell out for a 3G one! The widgets are pretty cool, letting you see twitter updates and facebook updates as they come in without having to actually open the app, Sky News, weather etc etc. One thing Ive found really useful is the active status bar at the top, which, when swiped down, gives you the options to turn wifi on/off, bluetooth, vibration and put it to silent mode all with a quick swipe instead of having to go into setting etc. it also tells you if you have any messages and when they come through, scrolls them along the top bar so you dont have to quit what your doing.

In terms of the actual hardware, The screen is absolutely incredible. Its not quite as pin sharp as the iPhone 4 obviously due to resolution, but the colours are just amazing, and then extra size over the iPhones just makes all the difference. Its smooth to use, multi touch works, well, the samsung photo and music applications work like a dream and its incredibly thin.

There are only 2 minor things that I would call problems, and I can live with them, but there is no flash for the camera, not even a basic single LED one, and the device itself feels a bit plasticy, not like the build quality of the iPhone 4, although does still feel well built. Its also really light!

I have to say, although they have been a bit of a letdown recently, there is still something which I believe possibly every manufacturer can take from Nokia, and thats their speakers. Since the N95, ive yet to use a Nokia that has a poor speaker, and they have all been really loud and clear. The speaker on the Galaxy S is located on the back next to the camera, which means if its on a surface like a leather chair or something, the sound when it rings tends to be fairly quiet.

Samsung have also put a new keyboard layout in the phone called swype (if you havent heard of it, check it out here: http://www.swypeinc.com/). I was a little skeptical at first, and it takes a little getting used to, but when you actually start using it, it is really fast and alot more accurate then you may think. Ive been really sloppy on purpose with it to see how well it will cope, and ive been very surprised with the accuracy!

Overall, do I prefer it to my iPhone? Yes. Without a doubt. Will I be getting an iPhone 4 in the future? Maybe, but not for a long while yet! If anyone wants to know anything about it or wants me to try anything let me know.

Oh and also, even better is that mine is a Tmobile one, and its completely unlocked and unbranded, which means when 2.2 comes out, there is no waiting for Tmobile to approve it and all that rubbish!

miffed
11th July 2010, 02:48 PM
Congrats on the purchase ! I looked at the Galaxy S when went to buy my Dell Streak , and I must say I came VERY close to having one ... The first CPW I went to was out of stock of the Streak , and the Galaxy S caught my eye ... There was me with �500 to spend on a phone too :)

I didn't recognise it from the Photos I had seen ,the screen is a lovely size , and the whole device is a bit of a stunner IMO - But when I picked it up , it felt a bit plasticy to me (this from a man who wen't on to buy a Dell - which is REALLY plasticy) LOL !!
I am not saying it feels cheap , just that for the money , metal would have been better ... but hey ho , still a great looking device

On the subject of 2.2, we seem to have fallen into a strange situation with mobiles (particularly Android) , where we are judging them on the next major software update , rather than the one we have bought and paid for ... I have an HTC Magic that came with 1.5 , sold on the premise of 1.6 and it was claimed (bluffed ? ) That it would get a 2.0.2 update which never happened , Next to it I have a T-mobile Pulse that was promised a 2.1 update , again this never materialised , a version was launched in Hungary , but the installation left the device with 28MB of RAM left to power the OS and for app storage !! - pretty much proving that 2.2 was not really viable , despite the promises from Huawei and T-mobile !! - I have come around to the conclusion that if you buy an Android device , you HAVE to be ready for the possiblity that you'll never see an upgrade OK So HTC seem pretty much on the Ball , but as for the others ? ...Lets Just say I won't be holding my breath for 2.2 on the Streak !

I am loving the fact that is no longer solely about the iPhone , and other devices like this Samsung , are popping up ..... back to the good old days !

chaslam
11th July 2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah I know exacty what you mean about the build. I would say it feels cheap, because it is solid, but it is plasticy. Its like they have just tried to make it as light as possible so they have made it with plastic rather then metal/glass.

Yeah good point about the update. Samsung has already confirmed that it will be getting 2.2, however, I wouldn't really be that annoyed if I didn't get it, because the main thing i wanted was wifi sharing (mifi) which samsung have put on the galaxy S anyway, and it works very well! It is a bit crazy that people are buying phones on the upgrades that are coming out for them, but I guess thats just the way it is now. Everyone is looking for the next best thing rather then the current best thing!

miffed
12th July 2010, 07:17 AM
It's funny to read some of the comments on forums WRT waiting for updates , the way I see it (morally and legally) - the manufacturers are not obliged to give you updates at all ! (OK , if there is a fault with a build , then they should correct that) Assuming the phone works and is usable , then the manufacturer has done their part .
Of course , I love the idea of updating my device for the latest experience , but some of these guys think they have some kind of constitutional right to any OS improvements that are written - I have seen emails / letters to networks and manufacturers DEMANDING a software update ! as if it is some kind of God given right.

timothythetim
14th July 2010, 01:09 AM
Samsung have also put a new keyboard layout in the phone called swype (if you havent heard of it, check it out here: http://www.swypeinc.com/). I was a little skeptical at first, and it takes a little getting used to, but when you actually start using it, it is really fast and alot more accurate then you may think. Ive been really sloppy on purpose with it to see how well it will cope, and ive been very surprised with the accuracy!

I have got Swype on my Nexus One (I found this post by searching for "Swype") and it is amazing. With the normal keyboard I can type at about 20 (25 if I really go for it) words per minute but with Swype (and I've not had that much practice) I can get upwards of 35 wpm! It really is fantastic.

miffed
14th July 2010, 07:53 AM
Sorry to do this to you mate.... but it happens to all of us , no matter what you buy

....The Galaxy S 2 !!

http://android.modaco.com/content/android-news/312797/rumour-gossip-two-new-high-end-phones-break-cover/

Seriously though.... You could hold off forever if you played that game - Get what is availably NOW and enjoy it , rather than musing on whats "just around that corner .."

chaslam
14th July 2010, 11:00 AM
Wow that looks nice. Yeah I mean I never plan on getting a phone and keeping it for the life of the contract anyway haha. This time I was pretty much forced into have a 24 month contract (making the 18 month one just ridiculously unappealing in terms of price) so I know im never going to keep a phone for 2 years. Im a big believe of what you just said. I get very annoyed when a new product has just been announced, like the iPhone 4, and I say to one of my friends are you going to get it and they reply "Nah, the new iPhone will be better I will just wait for that". Life doesnt work like that, otherwise you will just be constantly waiting haha. If there is a confirmed product, fine, wait. But if not just go for it I say!

Galaxy S 2 does look nice, and I will probably end up getting one of these to be honest (if the rumour is true at all) when its released!

getti
14th July 2010, 07:17 PM
Exactly. Your in a great situation as you get 50% off your contract (pats myself on the back :p) so in theory your just agreeing to pay T-Mobile for 2 years, some people will keep it 2 years but people like us will sell it on long before then and put money towards something else.

Hands0n
21st July 2010, 04:03 PM
I had gone off Samsung some time back and it is likely to be some time before they win my confidence back.

That said, Samsung has taken Android under its wing and is turning out a nice array of devices powered by that OS. But to be contrary, I do think that the manufacturers need to keep these modern OS up to date on their hardware, at least for several point versions and possibly even a major version. Why? Well, mostly because of the length of time that these devices are being supplied under contract for. Two years is a near-eternity in mobile handset development, both in hardware and OS terms. It makes little sense, to me, for the Galaxy S to be running Android 2.1 for two years when by then we are likely to see Android 3 and possibly even 4 hit the street. Although one has to ask what more functionality would it be reasonable to expect the manufacturers to build in.

Google's Android introduces the proposition of OTA updates of the OS. Does it not then seem somewhat bizarre that the manufacturers would not use this delivery vehicle to keep their range of hardware at least up to date to a very definite pattern at least? Apple manage it via their iTunes-tethered method.

Ben
22nd July 2010, 01:58 AM
If Samsung do go 2.2 then it'll be a pleasant surprise. I believe their strategy is much more about saturating the channel with devices than it is about keeping those devices up to date!

I like Samsung as a company. They make cheap, impressively specified products that, for the most part, work day in day out and do what they say on the tin. I'm yet to see one that blows the doors and windows out, however.

TR reviewed the Galaxy S and gave it very high marks, save for basically the comments on the general cheapness feeling and some of the design decisions. A great phone, but even Android can't help it best the iPhone at this time.

hecatae
29th July 2010, 10:42 AM
Samsung Galaxy S Android 2.2 Froyo update leaks as mentioned on GsmArena:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_android_22_froyo_update_leaks-news-1842.php

However, before you start downloading the file and start updating your Galaxy S, make sure that you understand that this is a test firmware so some things might not work properly or be missing (for example, there is no Flash support in the web browser yet).

So, if you don't want to put your phone at risk, you'd better wait until September when you'll be able to get the update through the Samsung KIES software.

just read that Darkforest group have the complete XXJP2 flash, GsmArena only mention XXJP1

http://rapidshare.com/files/409558173/I9000XXJP2.7z

hecatae
29th July 2010, 12:59 PM
developer rom, with native terminal emulator and cannot currently be rooted

3GScottishUser
9th November 2010, 06:53 PM
I like my Galaxy S despite the fact that the processor is just about flat out sometimes. It has a tendancy to die for periods when you want to do things but that seems to be common with all smartphones presently.

Big question is ... where is Froyo?

Hands0n
9th November 2010, 11:36 PM
It has a tendancy to die for periods when you want to do things but that seems to be common with all smartphones presently.

Errr ... excuse me :eek: I do not recognise that at all with iPhone, Nexus One, Dell Streak or Orange San Francisco even! We've had a few crappy iterations of Facebook for Android but that seems to have been fixed with the latest version. But at no point have I seen any of the above "die for periods" at all.

What apps are you running or do you see it across the board with the Samsung?

Ben
10th November 2010, 12:09 AM
I've got to say 3GSU, that definitely isn't the norm. Not with high end smartphones, anyway.

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 02:36 PM
Not quite sure how you lot use your phones, but I've seen iPhone 4 and the Desire HD both suffering from performance issues. The iPhone 4 suffers mostly from memory issues, due to Apples hilariously bad implementation of multitasking, while the Desire HD just seemed to have slow moments while it appeared to think about stuff for a bit.

miffed
10th November 2010, 04:25 PM
Have to agree , the merest hint of messing around in such a way would spell the end of a device for me ! , the closest I've come (in the last few years) was the occasional inability to hang up calls on the Dell streak running custom froyo firmware, due to the screen not responding for about 10 seconds (Which I didn't tolerate , and replaced it with an iPhone 4 !)
If this was happening on a day to day basis during general use I'd dump a device ASAP . absolutely no question.

Of course , MOG will have experienced terrible trouble , that goes without saying ...... But back in the real world slowdowns simply don't happen on any current generation iPhone - the only signs of lack seem to show when a previous (or older) generation iPhone runs a newer Gen's firmware , and even then this "slowdown" still leave said iPhone performing 10x + the speed of a Symbian or WM device ,

FFS back in the days of the original iPhone, when we jumped from 1.0 to 1.1 (IIRC) we all complained about the "lag" - which was in reality jerky scrolling & having to wait 1-2 seconds for the contacts list to open !! - on any other device this would be considered blistering performance !!

Ben
10th November 2010, 04:30 PM
My iPhone 4 is total teh snappeh. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

BOOM.

Just like it should be. Nexus One not so much, nor Galaxy Tab for that matter, but the Nexus is more than acceptable from my experience.

Now we just need iOS 4.2 to come along and muller everything up :)

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 05:05 PM
Have to agree , the merest hint of messing around in such a way would spell the end of a device for me ! , the closest I've come (in the last few years) was the occasional inability to hang up calls on the Dell streak running custom froyo firmware, due to the screen not responding for about 10 seconds (Which I didn't tolerate , and replaced it with an iPhone 4 !)
If this was happening on a day to day basis during general use I'd dump a device ASAP . absolutely no question.

Of course , MOG will have experienced terrible trouble , that goes without saying ...... But back in the real world slowdowns simply don't happen on any current generation iPhone - the only signs of lack seem to show when a previous (or older) generation iPhone runs a newer Gen's firmware , and even then this "slowdown" still leave said iPhone performing 10x + the speed of a Symbian or WM device ,

FFS back in the days of the original iPhone, when we jumped from 1.0 to 1.1 (IIRC) we all complained about the "lag" - which was in reality jerky scrolling & having to wait 1-2 seconds for the contacts list to open !! - on any other device this would be considered blistering performance !!

Um...you've owned an iPhone 4 for less than a week, I rest my case. ;)

Even a quick look on Apples own forum reveals people complaining about lag on iPhone 4 and iOS 4.1, are they not living in the real world either? Fail. :D

My iPhone 4 is total teh snappeh. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

BOOM.

Just like it should be. Nexus One not so much, nor Galaxy Tab for that matter, but the Nexus is more than acceptable from my experience.

Now we just need iOS 4.2 to come along and muller everything up :)

Mine isn't, I get lag when bringing up the task switcher, even opening folders or occasionally scrolling through screens.

Ben
10th November 2010, 05:09 PM
Mine isn't, I get lag when bringing up the task switcher, even opening folders or occasionally scrolling through screens.
Ha, Steve must really hate you.

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 05:50 PM
Ha, Steve must really hate you.

Maybe its because I said he looked like a stickman. :)

Hands0n
10th November 2010, 08:04 PM
Maybe its because I said he looked like a stickman. :)

Yea. Cancer can do that to you ...

getti
10th November 2010, 10:33 PM
As we are on topic for performance issues how about all those people with N96, N97, N86, 5800, X6.... ok il stop there before i break the forum posting a massive thread.