View Full Version : Vodafone use in Turkey(Savings Galore!)

3GScottishUser
7th August 2010, 02:58 PM
I am a regular visitor to Turkey and have managed to sus out some decent saving for visitors who want to avoid the crazy £1.69 a minute (call & receive) charges that Vodafone UK charge for roaming.

Take your passport and your Mobile phone to any Vodafone shop in Turkey and ask them to register it on the Turkish Telecommunications Network. (This is to stop people brining in stolen handsets and selling tem on). This wil cost just 7TL (about £3). You wil then need a Vodafone Turkey 3G USIM which allows you to use the CEP1 PAYG tarriff. That costs about 24TL and includes a 5TL credit. Then you just pay as you go, 20p/min to call the UK and 30p/min to call Uk mobiles. SMS are 25p. ocal call charges for SMS & Voice are very reasonable.

Now for the smart bit!! When you top-up in the shop get them to provison the account for Internet Use for a month (8TL or £3.70). That gives you full unlimited Internet use on your handset for a month. Even better you can take the USIM out and use it in an unlocked USB dongle for laptop use! Once the 8TL is paid and the account is provisioned your credit remains the same regardless of Internet use. This method is far superior to paying 45TL a month for 1GB of Mobile Broadband access!!

I was in Turkey for 6 weeks and for most of that time had good coverage and decent speeds on the Vodafone 3G network (it's a 7.2Mbs service in Turkey).

Hands0n
7th August 2010, 06:45 PM
Cool tip 3GSU - I may well be in need of that advice for the next summer holidays :)

Ben
8th August 2010, 10:34 PM
Fantastic Turkey tip, I almost want to go for the mobile value now!