View Full Version : Speech to Text App for Android?

3GScottishUser
13th August 2010, 06:48 PM
Have had a look around the Android market and have yet to come across a decent speech to text app for sending texts etc.

The Samsung Galaxy S comes loaded with Google's speech recognition for searches but unlike the Nexus 1 there is no option for speech input when texting (they only have keyboard or swipe).

Suggestions appreciated.

Hands0n
13th August 2010, 07:58 PM
@3GSU - are you saying that you don't have Speech to Text native to your version of Android in the Samsung Galaxy S?

From the home-screen press Menu, Settings, Voice input & output and you should have a submenu "Voice input" with "Voice recognizer settings" which is where you set it all up.

Otherwise you'll need to find a third party app that does the same thing.

Hands0n
13th August 2010, 08:11 PM
Update - you could check out Vlingo that has just become available free in response to Google's launch of Voice Search. There is a mini article and QR code link here http://androidspin.com/2010/08/13/vlingo-goes-free-following-googles-voice-search-debut/

3GScottishUser
14th August 2010, 11:34 AM
No 'voice input on the settings menu', which is strange as it has google voice search on the first home screen. Very weird!

Hands0n
14th August 2010, 12:39 PM
It may well be that Samsung's implementation of Android OS has blocked it. That is the only problem with Android, the individual manufacturers can take it away from what Google meant it to be. Increasingly there is fragmentation appearing in the OS by the way of skins and OS exclusions and additions.

That is one of the big plusses of a single OS provider like Microsoft and Apple, more so the latter in the case of smartphones, where there is consistency enforced across the platform.

miffed
14th August 2010, 01:25 PM
Not sure voice to text works on the standard messagng apps of anything but the nexus one , even with the relevant voice.apk installed , I know it does work n Handcent SMS though

Ben
14th August 2010, 05:00 PM
That is one of the big plusses of a single OS provider like Microsoft and Apple, more so the latter in the case of smartphones, where there is consistency enforced across the platform.
That's my main problem with Android, and why I wouldn't want to develop for it. It's also the reason why the Nexus One is the only Android handset that has appealed to me thus far.

Hope you find an app that does what you need, 3GSU.

solo12002
15th August 2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/

Will this not suit your purpose?

3GScottishUser
15th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Vlingo did the trick... I just did not follow the instructions and activate the vlingo keyboard with the mic option. Now able to use speech to do just about any input including texts. It's far from perfect but a good option to have.