View Full Version : Phone Fraud Scam - this is a genuine warning

Hands0n
16th June 2005, 08:52 PM
There are several spoof email messages circulating the Internet about phone scams. The following is bona fide - I actually received one of these automated calls today! Fortunately I never follow through with the instructions .... :mad:

I have been asked to circulate the following warning from the police regarding a telephone fraud scam to all our staff. There appears to be very little that we or the telephone networks can do to stop the calls coming through, but it is imperative that we do not respond to the prompts. Read the text below and you'll understand why.

PHONE FRAUD - WARNING FROM THE POLICE 11 MAY 2005
We have been advised of a telephone fraud currently in operation - this applies to home and work telephones, landlines and mobiles. If you receive one of these calls, upon answering the telephone you will hear a recorded message congratulating you on winning an all expenses trip to an exotic location. You will then be asked to press 9 to hear further details. If you press 9 you will be connected to a premium rate line that costs approximately £20 per minute. Even if you disconnect immediately, it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes costing around £ 100. The final part of the call involves you being asked to key in your postcode and house number, which has other serious consequences. After a further 2 minutes you will receive a message informing you that you are not one of the lucky winners. The total bill by then will be £100.Since the calls are originating from outside the UK, BT and other telephone companies are left relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to HANG UP before the message prompts you to dial 9, even safer HANG UP on any unsolicited 'free offer calls'. There is another scam operating on mobile phones as well. A missed call comes up. The number is 0709 020 3840, the last four numbers may vary, but certainly the first four will remain the same. If you call this number back you will be charged £50 per minute. People have complained about their phone bills, once they have realised the cost of the call, but apparently this is completely legal. So beware, do not call back numbers beginning with '0709'.

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION ONTO YOUR FAMILY &FRIENDS

This appears to be a genuine scam doing the rounds in the UK at the moment!

Jon3G
16th June 2005, 08:54 PM
I can confirm this is gen and its been around for ages now, Its nothing new but really be aware

miffed
16th June 2005, 09:39 PM
I believe BT offer a service which prompts for a PIN before any premium rate connection is made - I'd guess that would do prevent the connection being made when you press 9 (if you were to fall for it )

This kind of thing really annoys me , specifically BT's "not my problem" attitude to this and rogue diallers etc
I understand they say they are powerless to stop it if the origin is not on home soil - fair enough , but as I understand it , under our law, customers need to be made aware that
1) they are about to connect to a premium service

2) how much this service will cost (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Now , if the networks /service providers that host these lowlifes choose not to impose any kind of policing to these issues then BT have an OBLIGATION to is customers to either

1) not interact with such networks
or
2) Issue a warning at the beginning of every call to or from a Provider who allows & profits from thee activities

I know option "1" sounds like a logistical nightmare - but needs must, and all that :o

Hands0n
16th June 2005, 09:46 PM
I'm with Telewest - and they could care even less than BT about such matters! This is the extent of their help, gleaned from the website

Protect yourself from phone scams
There are several potential telephone scams operating currently. Please be aware that if you receive a recorded message offering you a prize or something similar & are asked to dial a 090 number, calls to these numbers incur significant charges, and the prize often does not exist. For more information go to www.icstis.org.uk and www.oic.gove.ie (this is a broken URL)
Please also be aware that Telewest does not sanction these calls.

But no mention of any help they will give, such as PIN blocking premium rate etc.

ICSTIS is powerless against internationally sourced scams. We really are on our own in this area at the moment! I've had to warn all my family and friends and their children - that's all you need is junior dialling "9".

Some days I just hate telephony :mad:

solo12002
16th June 2005, 10:11 PM
FFS this is spam. Have you checked with BT

Hands0n
16th June 2005, 11:22 PM
I got the call today - I did not dial 9 to find out if it does trigger a premium rate billing.

3g-g
17th June 2005, 12:34 AM
FFS this is spam. Have you checked with BT
Perhaps not being as blunt as that, but working for a telecomms company I've asked many times about this, every time I ask I'm told the same thing, it's a load of nonsense. AFAIK, on BT anyway, the only way to reverse bill someone is throught the operator, and on a mobile it's not possible. If you're listening to a recording asking you to press 9 etc it would be very difficult for them to suddenly switch the charging band round to you paying instead of the incoming call fronting the cost. It would need a direct link into BT's exchange and billing system to be possible!

Even if you disconnect immediately, it will remain connected for a minimum of 5 minutes costing around £ 100

This also I find extremely hard to believe, only speaking from telecomms experience. Most exchanges nowadays, both fixed line and mobile are digital. That includes the billing, call set up, routing the lot. When you press that red button or hang up your house phone the exchange knows the line is closed, if it was that easy to continue billing there'd be uproar. Now, someone might say, well, when someone calls me I can put the phone down, pick it back up again and they're still there, yes, you can, but they're still paying the connection, not you. The network is well aware of who initiated the call.

miffed
17th June 2005, 08:13 AM
The scenario I have been in a couple of times, is that the phone rings then hangs up on answering , so whoever answered innocently dials 1471 to find out who it was , hears the 07 prefix (which after BT's "simplifications" a couple of years back means it is a mobile, not a premium rate number , right ? :rolleyes: )

So they press "3" to connect , and there you have it ! one premium rate call initiated by my wife / daughter

Jon3G
17th June 2005, 11:20 AM
and you can get them 07 numbers very easy from suppliers

3g-g
17th June 2005, 03:05 PM
Yes, it's easy to have a 077 number and charge more, however it takes you to call it back, I've never known it possible to connect you to a premium rate charge band just by pressing a number on your keypad while listening to a recorded message. It would need direct communication to your suppliers billing system.

Hands0n
17th June 2005, 04:59 PM
Reverse billed SMS caught everyone out by surprise. Could it not be that there is something similar at work here. Whereby by pressing 9 you are opting in to accepting such a reverse charge for the continued call? I may be talking out of my proverbial here [in relation to reverse billed voice] but I had a very unpleasant experience with Reversed Billed SMS when it first started and even the local MP and his "IT Advisers" were ignorant of the fact that SMS could be reverse billed. Of course, nowadays it is common knowledge thanks to the likes of Jamster!

Ben
17th June 2005, 09:55 PM
Argh, just had one of those You've won a Holiday calls earlier. Charges or otherwise, it's worth telling everyone you know to just hang up straight away if you're greeted by a recorded message!