View Full Version : Huawei to pop out Android 2.2 smartphone

Ben
27th August 2010, 02:50 PM
Dongle darling, master of MiFi, and equipment maker extraordinaire Huawei has another smartphone on the way. Huawei manufactured the Pulse, available on T-Mobile, which appears to have been relatively successful.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/08/27/huawei-embraces-android-in-new-smartphone/

I think Huawei could become a real force in handsets running Android if they choose to be. I doubt we'll see anything too innovative or high end, but what we will see is low cost and decent performance.

hecatae
27th August 2010, 04:56 PM
should be the Huawei U8150, but we will never see it under that name, maybe a Pulse, Pulse Mini or Vodafone 845

miffed
27th August 2010, 07:04 PM
I agree , Although the Pulse Mini appeared to disappoint (seemingly , from what some have said ) I am still absolutely blown away by the amount of phone that I got for £91 with the original Pulse . compare it to the Nokia 5230 I recently acquired for a similar price and you'd think you were looking at devices seperated by £200 or so !
I think they could own the budget end of the Android market in te same way they own mobile broadband now , and who knows what kind of mid-high end effort they could offer after a little practice ?

Ben
27th August 2010, 07:05 PM
Looks decent enough. If the price is right then hopefully this is just one more handset that'll be bringing Android to the masses.

That said, I do have my reservations about Android. I play with my Nexus One and it certainly seems functional but it's also very cold. Lacks identity. But then that's Google through and through. This handset will, I believe, lack any sort of manufacturer OS customisation. Now I'm sure a lot of manufacturers probably do more harm than good, but Sense by HTC, for example, seems to be well received.

hecatae
3rd September 2010, 08:16 AM
Huawei U8150 is going to be called Huawei Ideos, £99 - £129 on PAYG.

and a new mifi called the E5S, they had a press day yesterday

Huawei's Ideos smartphone, announced today, is claimed by the company as the first affordable handset to ship with Android 2.2, the most up-to-date release of Google's phone platform.

I was briefly shown the new device at a launch event in London, and my first impression is that the handset looks like a smaller, neater version of last year's T-Mobile Pulse (which Huawei also manufactured).

The Ideos has a vanilla build of Android 2.2, with no user interface customisations such as HTC has with its Sense user interface. This is partly because Huawei co-developed the handset with Google, but also because such changes get in the way of users upgrading as soon as a new Android release is available, the company said

For a £99 phone, the Ideos looks pretty good and feels very responsive. Its screen doesn't appear to match up to the display quality of high-end devices such as the HTC Desire, but this is pretty much to be expected.

The Ideos does away with the mini trackball of the Pulse, and replaces this with a decent-sized five-way navigation key, which will frankly come as a relief to most users.

In the brief time I had to play with the Ideos, I was impressed with its on-screen soft keyboard, which seemed less tricky to use than on many touch-screen phones I've seen, Including Apple's iPhone, despite the relatively small 2.8in screen.

Huawei did not disclose the weight of the device, but it felt light compared to some high-end devices, and certainly no problem to carry around in a pocket.

Final judgement is reserved until V3.co.uk gets a review sample for a longer trial, but if the Ideos really is available at £99 SIM-free, it could prove a popular handset for those trading up to their first smartphone.

hecatae
3rd September 2010, 09:31 AM
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2562&c=huawei_ideos_u8150-b

gorilla
3rd September 2010, 10:13 AM
Three are also selling a ZTE Racer for £99 (PAYG) running 2.1 eclair. If the PAYG market can get a range of handsets running the latest version of android (or even 2.1) for £100 why would anyone consider getting a contract? Buy the phone and pop in a sim only sim.
If google (or whoever) can market android better and 'ordinary' people start to ask for an android phone then the manufacturer name might not mean as much and potentially this could be a problem for the likes of nokia and co. Personally I'm much more price aware now than I was a few years ago and I like android, so I would always consider a cheaper handset if it can handle serious multitasking and decent apps.

I'm thinking these types of phones would be good for the likes of my parents.

hecatae
3rd September 2010, 11:08 AM
Jon Morris, Whatmobile Editor saw the Ideos aka 8150:

Yesterday I got to see and play with the Huawei IDEOS. A simple, inoffensive, Android 2.2 phone that has 3G/HSPA/802.11n and is made easy to set up and work as a portable 'MiFi' for connecting up to EIGHT devices.

It's got a pretty nippy 600MHz processor, QVGA screen (no multitouch though) and claims excellent battery life. Only the camera disappoints, with just 3-megapixels and no flash, HD video etc.

The price range is £99-£129 depending on operator, but I'd guess that this will be £99.

That's a serious amount of bang for your buck. There's even changeable covers too - and it doesn't LOOK cheap. In fact, you could imagine this with Samsung, LG or HTC written on it.

I know Nokia has some cheap handsets in the C-series range, but the only reason that Huawei won't sell millions of IDEOS's will be down to poor distribution deals with the networks and a relatively unknown name (although the IDEOS has no Huawei branding at all - just the name and Google logo).

I was really impressed with the IDEOS. It's obviously not a Desire/Galaxy S/Milestone killer, but it is about a third of the price!

Both Huawei and ZTE plan to start producing more mid-high end devices. I'd like to see the price of a IDEOS with a 12MP camera, Xenon flash, HDMI, WVGA display. Component wise, they could probably get this out for under £200 if they wanted.

3GScottishUser
3rd September 2010, 06:59 PM
I have absoluteley no doubt that Huawei and ZTE will be huge competition to not just Samsung, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia etc but to HTC, Blackberry and Apple.

The Chinese have proved what they can deliver with USB dongles and WiFi 3G Devices. They will deliver major competiton with Android handsets within the next few months and will establish themselves with their own brand names within a couple of years.

Hands0n
3rd September 2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone who underestimates Huawei is making a serious and significant mistake! I suspect that the established corporates are doing just that, muppets.

Huawei have a home-base that is the size of a small new town, complete with not only factory and office but also residential complexes. They are a vast outfit making all manner of high tech electronics from the consumer stuff we see to full blown central office telephone switches and more, much much more. They could kit out a nation with all of its telecomms infrastructure and terminal devices, such is their portfolio.

Huawei, the brand, will make its mark soon enough, as 3GSU predicts. I don't think it will take a couple of years though. A lot depends on their delivery channels. I'm imagining the likes of the supermarkets going for this kind of high-tech low-cost device. One could imagine 2010 or 2011's Christmas stockings stuffed with one of these in each :)

I think I'd get one just because ... something to transfer the USIM into when I went off on my travels, save risking my precious :D