View Full Version : How would you change Apple's iPhone 4?

@NickyColman
28th August 2010, 10:17 AM
Reading my tweets this morning, I saw one from technology site asking its readers 'How would you change Apple's iPhone 4?'

Unfortunately, the discussion descended rather quickly into chaos with Apple minions on one side and Android drones on another preparing to have a war to end all wars!

So, I thought I'd ask the community on Talk3G - How would you change iPhone 4?

@NickyColman
28th August 2010, 10:31 AM
For me, Apple really did drop the ball with the antenna issue. Whilst not affected by it myself, its still a great big whoopsie in terms of handset design - but this has all been discussed and debated to high heaven so I'll leave that there.

iPhone 4 really is a remarkable handset in terms of design, reliability and quality. But theres one thing I always miss. One thing that always makes me wish I had a Nokia in my hand - and its a camera button. I often find myself fiddling and faffing whilst something spontaneous is happening only to find its over and done with before I've managed to 'slide to unlock'.

I love taking pictures especially on iPhone 4 but due to the positioning of the camera button on screen, my hands rock a lot more than they would if I was holding the phone landscape.

What I would like is a lovely rounded button (like the volume buttons) that directly opens the camera app with a long press. Another half press to focus and one final press to take the picture.

I am aware one certain app developer (now banned from the App Store) managed to allow their Camera app to use the volume buttons on the phone to take a snap which is strictly against Apple's policy. A shame I think.

Second on my list is more to do with iOS 4 as a whole than iPhone 4 but as its Apple's flagship product at the moment, its getting the blame.

NOTIFICATIONS! I hate them. I wish Apple would implement some better notification system a la Android or even Palm's Pre handset. I am often reading something quite important when BAM!!! i get disturbed straight away!

What would be better would be if they used the new multi-tasking 'app-tray' at the bottom of the screen to slide up for a few seconds to inform you of whats going on. IE you get a text and slides up with 'MESSAGE: blalalalablala' with the option to just swipe it away.

Or even, when a notification was received you could swipe it away and it would disappear from your screen but when you leave the current app and return to your homescreen, the notification is still there awaiting.

I think lock screen info could come under this heading too. I'd like to be able to click my lock button on my iPhone with a quick snapshot of whats going on. It could tell you missed calls, how many texts you have, Twitter mentions, emails received, calendar events, even the weather in your area!

So much potential!

Ben
28th August 2010, 11:49 AM
You're absolutely right, there is a lot of unexplored potential in iPhone 4/iOS, and if Apple don't drop the ball then it should mean great things are yet to come. You know what Apple are like with their updates - one thing at a time, got to leave something for the next round!

*Just trapped the most persistent wasp ever in his espresso cup* That's better...

I wholeheartedly agree re: dedicated camera button with quick access. The camera in iPhone 4 is fantastic, Apple now need to make it easier to use. I often take pictures and videos in portrait without thinking about it because it seems that it's designed to be used that way. Landscape operation is difficult.

You'll probably also remember my notifications love from Android and the Nexus One. Google's scroll-down notifications panel is just amazing. Having everything in one place and totally unobtrusive makes so much sense, even more so for iOS and it's hundreds of thousands of applications.

Auto-correction of text is another area I'd pick for an overhaul. I'm sick of the capitalisation issue (White, Walls etc) and a number of times I've had correct words changed to something else altogether! On the whole of course it's still better than anything else, but clearly there's room for improvement yet.

I hope Apple release an iPhone 4 "S", keeping the basics the same and just improving things a bit like they did with the 3G. Couldn't go back to plastic now!

@NickyColman
28th August 2010, 12:07 PM
Agreed! An iPhone 4 'S' with a dedicated camera button would be ace. If im not mistaken handset designers have been ordered to adopt microUSB charging ports for all handsets sold in Europe from 2011.

Im not sure how this would affect Apple as they tend to refresh their handsets every summer time. Would this ruling apply just to new handsets designed and manufactured after 1st January 2011? Or all handsets? hmm...

Re; the notifications improvements - With the mainstream really thriving on the app-cenrtric world of iOS devices Apple really need to take notifications up a notch. Apple have a lot that can be learnt from Android.

I'm not a developer in any way, but I believe a good notifications system wouldnt be that hard to implement either. Apple have the ability and seemingly a will to improve every users experience with their iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad range.

'Swipe or shake to hide' features would fit in so nicely with the iOS way of doing things. There are so many options that Apple could go with.

Hands0n
28th August 2010, 03:38 PM
I do think that the single biggest issue that needs some serious attention by Apple is the apparent fragility of the iPhone 4. I had great hopes for the iPhone 4's glass construction eschewing the inherent weakness to cosmetic damage that the 3G and 3GS casing had. I do think that Apple missed a trick by letting the metal casing of original iPhone be retired prematurely. A work colleague has one still, and although looking somewhat battle weary it still functions 100% and has had no particular problem with being dropped from moderate heights such as a work desk.

I am not entirely in agreement with the Camera button notion. The clean lines of the iPhone 4 would possibly be tainted by having yet another button fitted.

Switching between Android and iOS on a daily basis I, too, miss the Notifications bar that Android has. A missed trick by Apple? Maybe. But the all intrusive method that iOS has today is really beginning to irritate although I suppose that those who have not experenced the Android Notifications will not really know what they are missing :)

@NickyColman
28th August 2010, 03:43 PM
@Hands0n - The fragility of iPhone 4 is scary! I find myself babying the phone much more than the 3GS and 3G variants. I too thought the tempered 'Gorilla Glass' and metal banding would give iPhone a much stronger feel, but as many internet sources show - Ben included, that isnt the case.

Regarding the use of a dedicated camera button, Apple could easily sidestep that issue by giving one of the volume buttons a second function. The + button could activate the camera, the - button could take the picture. All that could be done with software, surely. Or at least give the option to use the handset like that.

Hands0n
28th August 2010, 05:06 PM
Making the volume buttons multi-purpose might be in conflict with Apple's approach to user simplicity. The iPhone has to be the simplest "smartphone" in existence ever, bar none. So does it then not go against the grain to start making the UI (soft and physical) more complex, even if it would better suit the more tech savvy.

It is the very simplicity of the UI that can occasionally frustrate me and others on both sides of the Apple is evil discussion. But I can see its place in the big scheme of things and maybe, just maybe, it is that very simplicity that has made it what it is in the eyes of the buying public.

My iPhone 4 is back in its bumper case as the leather wallet has some basic design issues that have got the better of my ability to put up with things not quite right. Not least the permanent vignetting of the camera, requiring the handset to be unclipped from the case, is very irritating. And so my own worries about those two glass surfaces is again awoken. The edges and sides are protected - but confidence in the Gorilla Glass are at an all time low for me. No longer do I demonstrate my confidence in the glass by rubbing my house keys vigorously across the surface to show how resistant it is to scratching.

I am seriously thinking about getting myself a pair of these --> http://tinyurl.com/32l8azo

The Mullet of G
2nd September 2010, 04:27 AM
I agree on having a dedicated camera button or using one of the volume buttons, as the current system doesn't work all that well. I'd also like to see a better implementation of multitasking as I feel its kinda shoddy just now and it reminds me way to much of UIQ and its implementation of multitasking, lack of an exit option in apps means that all of your apps are left running in the background till you eventually run low on RAM which effects the performance of the device.

The fragility issue is something I also agree needs to be addressed, a phone should be able to take a few knocks without suffering from catastrophic failure.

The MicroUSB thing is also interesting and would be a welcome change, as there is no need to have a ridiculously large connector or an equally large socket on the iPhone as its ugly and ruins the overall look of the phone.

3GScottishUser
3rd September 2010, 06:35 PM
It's a fine product which just needs a few extras like flash support and the ability to become a WiFi hotspot and I'm sure those facilities will become available if demand pressures Apple into action.

The biggest issue with iPhone4 like all other Apple products is the pricing. Having to pay £100+ for 16GB of Flash Memory and getting less inclusive minutes and texts on contacts in comparison with similar products must now be damaging Apple and as compeditors like Samsung not only catch up but offer even more appealing devices their proposition will become even less attractive.

Apple have a good mobile phone reputation built on ease of use and the principle of mobile apps. That has been a great revenue earner forn them, justifiably as the hardware has been attractive, but they need to be careful as alternatives like Android are set to overtake them with similar products that are improving with updated hardware and software faster than Apple seem to be able to react to.

miffed
3rd September 2010, 08:13 PM
A dedicated camera key would be better I think , Using one of the volume buttons wouldn't work as (apparently ? ) people want to being listening to music , reading ebooks and following Sat Nav directions while taking photo's , or at least I think thats why they all desperately needed multiasking ? ..so the volume keys would be tied up.

Agree on the fragility too , its a shame , when iPhone I was launched , everyone would say to me "ooooh , looks like if you drop it it'll be a wreck ... " But in reality it was a robust little bugger ! .... Just as people got use to it , Apple moved into the Plastic age , and the 3G and 3GS were IMPOSSIBLE to keep scratch free (uncased) , and now they have launched the most delicate one yet !!
For what its worth , I think the Styling is almost "worth" the lack of robustness , but then I am pretty careful , and rarely drop my phones - I can think of a few mates that simply COULDN'T own an iPhone 4 because they are so clumsy !
Maybe it is my iPhone I fetish kicking in , but I'd like to see the iPhone 4 pretty close to how it is now , but with an Aluminum plate where the back glass is !

Now , my next revision would probably not be popular with most , but I'd like a bigger screen please ? , 4""-4.5" please ?