View Full Version : iPad Mini coming in 2011

3GScottishUser
31st August 2010, 08:44 AM
According to reports in the Sunday Times Apple will lauch a smaller version of their iPad with a 7" Screen. It could be priced at around £200 for the basic model with the usual costly options for 3g connectivity etc.

The new 7" device is expected to be a direct compeditor to the Samsung Gaxaxy Tablet which will have a 7" AMOLED screen and is expected in Q4 2010.

Ben
31st August 2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know what to make of these mini tablet rumours. Mini iPhone rumours have been doing the rounds for years now.

If they do knock out a mini tablet I'd like it to have the same resolution as its big brother for development reasons. App developers will not like writing for two different screen resolutions.

I hope Apple has a good, long term mobile devices strategy. They're going to need it.

chaslam
31st August 2010, 11:14 AM
If they do, I dont really know where it will sit in the market? Surely the ipod touch is a mini ipad? If they do release a slightly larger ipod touch but a slightly smaller ipad, imo it just seems a bit ridiculous. You going to have 3 very similar devices, all with essentially the same purpose, just with slightly different sized screens.

Ben
31st August 2010, 11:54 AM
If they do, I dont really know where it will sit in the market? Surely the ipod touch is a mini ipad? If they do release a slightly larger ipod touch but a slightly smaller ipad, imo it just seems a bit ridiculous. You going to have 3 very similar devices, all with essentially the same purpose, just with slightly different sized screens.
I completely agree; Apple are going to need to define their product lines very clearly in order for this to work.

Steve Jobs famously split Apple's product line into 4 discrete areas when he rejoined the company, a strategy that took them out of intensive care and onto the track of rehabilitation. Since then the lines have become increasingly blurred. Of course one would expect them to flesh out their product lineup, but overlap could become a significant issue. Apple customers don't enjoy being confused... there should be one choice, and it should be pretty clear cut.

miffed
31st August 2010, 02:12 PM
I am not so sure , After all we had all this with an "iPhone mini" too , the media (for some reason) seem obsessed with trying to guess Apples next move based on the probable actions of their competitors - when it is really the fact that Apple go against the grain that yields their results.

My guess is that if we did see a 7" device , it would be a large iPhone , rather than a small iPad, i.e. Full phone functionality with no wifi only variant.