View Full Version : Customers can roam across Orange and T-Mobile from 5 October 2010

3GScottishUser
4th September 2010, 10:42 AM
Orange and T-Mobile customers in the UK will be able to roam across both networks from 5 October, Everything Everywhere CEO Tom Alexander said today (3 September). ‘We see this as a step change for Everything Everywhere,’ said Alexander, speaking at the first year anniversary of the merger announcement between the two companies.

Users will be asked to ‘opt-in’ to the new service for the time being. The reason for this is that the networks handle around 1,600 different handsets and some devices may have problems with the service. By opting in customer service staff can find out what handset each user has and inform them if their device has any problems.

However, from the beginning of 2011 the roaming service will become automatic. The phones will track the strength of the signals and move seamlessly onto the strongest one available irrespective of which network the user is on.

Alexander said that Everything Everywhere would use the period between 5 October and the end of the year to gauge customer reactions to the service.

The launch will backed by an advertising campaign from both Orange and T-Mobile. Alexander described the adverts as ‘ a dialogue between the brands’. The adverts will also begin to introduce the Everything Everywhere brand using the tag line: ‘Inspired by Everything Everywhere’.

Alexander added: ‘Moving forward we want to provide a smart multi-network capability, so that customers can roam onto different networks be they fixed, mobile or hotspot Wi-Fi. Our responsibility is to make that as seamless as possible.’

Orange’s HD Voice service, launched earlier this week, will also be rolled out across T-Mobile. Alexander said: ‘We should not forget that the quality of service also matters, as well as coverage.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Mobile_Exec/Customers_can_roam_across_Orange_and_T-Mobile_from_5_October.aspx

Hands0n
4th September 2010, 01:11 PM
The Railtrack of the airwaves :) About time too ...

DBMandrake
4th September 2010, 03:44 PM
The question is, will the roaming actually be "seamless" as they claim ? They say some handsets wont work properly with it - which is a hint that the roaming will probably be based on setting each others networks as an "equivalent PLMN" - modern handsets would in theory support seamless (in call) roaming, but many handsets cannot seamlessly roam onto an equivalent PLMN.

Depending on exactly how they set it up at a network level it may be more like 3's 2G roaming with Orange - the phone will automatically roam, but only once it lost the signal and dropped a call, so you'd have the same problem driving from an Orange coverage area to a T-Mobile coverage area during a call that you now get driving from a 3 3G area to an Orange 2G area.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

getti
5th September 2010, 02:48 PM
To start with if T-Mobile signal drops then the phone will search for Orange signal and connect to that. Like it used to be for 3, at this early stage its the only way to get it started. Then very early 2011 it will be seemless like the existing 2G/3G handover on networks now. Considering you get the benefits from 2 networks it is not exactly off putting that a call will drop because any other time if you have no signal you have no signal, end of so at least this way you can still keep in touch.

I would also assume you could do a manual network search and choose either Orange or T-Mobile but that will have to be checked. Thankfully a perk for being staff is I will get to use the roaming before it goes live to customers so can report back :)

Ben
5th September 2010, 10:29 PM
This is amazing news... definitely a step in the right direction.

Now, where's my option to roam across all networks? Should be an add-on IMHO. I'd pay for it!

solo12002
6th September 2010, 09:51 PM
Most of the sites refer this as being 2G only not 3g and not data so I question how usefull it will be, its crap

Hands0n
6th September 2010, 11:58 PM
Most of the sites refer this as being 2G only not 3g and not data so I question how usefull it will be, its crap

I read that it is 2G for now but will be extended to 3G over the next six months or so. I suppose they've got to migrate to this new schema separately for each network (2G and 3G).

getti
7th September 2010, 12:19 AM
2G to start with and 3G will be following on very early 2011. With the new MBNL company rolling out 3G at a very fast pace already getting 3/T-Mob to 98% 3G by end of 2010 and now Orange/T-Mobile having backup 2G it will be the best network out there.

Hands0n
7th September 2010, 12:25 AM
MBNL's website is here http://www.mbnl.co.uk/ - it is a very dull page indeed.

A Google search page on MBNL is here http://tinyurl.com/36rt3km - loads of articles and links

Ben
5th October 2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone had a bit of a roam yet? :)

getti
5th October 2010, 08:37 PM
meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!.

OK thats cheating i know as i work for them but i still count lol

Ben
5th October 2010, 10:23 PM
How did the Orange taste? :D Is the grass greener?

a_ukboy
6th October 2010, 10:03 AM
What about Three UK, do they now get roaming accross Orange and T-Mobile 2g networks??

3GScottishUser
7th October 2010, 09:17 AM
What about Three UK, do they now get roaming accross Orange and T-Mobile 2g networks??

Maybe but it won't make much difference because they still have to 'roam' and that will mean reregistering on a different network, and we all know what that means when a circuit switched voice call is in progress!

hecatae
11th September 2011, 11:06 AM
We are nearly a year later, and 3G roaming has still not been implemented, my T-mobile contract roamed on to T-Mobile Orange the other day and I had to manually reboot it to get back to T-Mobile, and I also got no data while roaming, even with data while roaming enabled on the handset.

edit:

http://ipandit.practicallaw.com/7-506-3734?q=&qp=&qo=&qe=

The High Court has held an expedited trial in a dispute between Arqiva, the communications-infrastructure provider, and a number of mobile-network operators and related parties, in relation to the merger between T-Mobile and Orange, which raised questions about what is meant by "roaming" and what constitutes a valid transfer of a radio-spectrum licence under section 30 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006. There is potential for an appeal of the judge's decision that he could decide whether Ofcom properly reissued two wireless telegraphy licences without the need for judicial review. (Arqiva Ltd and others v Everything Everywhere Ltd and others [2011] EWHC 1411 (TCC), 27 May 2011.)

very confusing

missed this http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2011/06/ee-ready-to-fight-court-ruling/

The High Court has ruled that Everything Everywhere’s (EE) attempt to combine the Orange and T-Mobile networks breaches contracts worth millions of pounds with network infrastructure firm Arqiva.

full court ruling here http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2011/1411.html

3GScottishUser
11th September 2011, 05:04 PM
I dare say it's a fair commercial agreement for the transmission contractor to force the merged company to honour it's original supply arrangemnts. EE will have to renegotiate if it wants to combine it's networks and I'm not sure that would be allowed without the licences being revised by Ofcom.

Wilt
11th September 2011, 05:46 PM
The whole thing seems to revolve around whether OFCOM has the ability to transfer licenses between legal entities. If they don't, then it looks like the original agreement with Arquiva has been breached. If they do, then everything everywhere can do what they want.

That's what I interpret from having a quick read through the court ruling anyway (but I'm no legal expert).

Hands0n
18th September 2011, 06:09 PM
Very simplistically, I am delighted that EE is being challenged, for the basic reason that I do not want to see a lessening of competition in the UK through acquisitions and mergers. These have been bad in the financial businesses where the new "powerhouse" has gone into receivership and folded costing the UK economy and people dearly.

Then there has been lessening of competition inasmuch as what is left ends up charging very similar amounts, with pennies of difference, and significantly degraded innovation. Whereas when the pickings are leaner among many the necessity drives innovation in all areas. Basicaly, get fat, get lazy, everyone suffers.

getti
18th September 2011, 07:19 PM
Looks like its all going ahead still for 3G roaming between Orange and T-Mobile. Cant say who I heard from but will say it looks like its all sorted with the problems