View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Tab Info

3GScottishUser
4th September 2010, 10:46 AM
Morfe details here: http://www.mobilegazette.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-10x09x02.htm

miffed
24th September 2010, 10:25 AM
I am sitting here LOL-ing at various musings on the internet regarding the Samsung Galaxy tab ! (don't get me wrong , I think it looks great , if a little expensive ! )

But the very same Apple haters all over the net that were scoffing at the iPad on the grounds that such a device is a White elephant , and Netbooks are far more useful ..... are now all singing the praises of this device and raving about it ! alll of a sudden the pricepoint of £600+ is fine for such a wonderful device !!

Funny how people can warm to something they previously dismissed , once the "Apple" name is removed :D

Hands0n
24th September 2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, it is faintly amusing to witness the same old suspects now fawning over the Galaxy Tab.

I had a play with one recently at a Three event. It is a decent enough device to be sure. I'm not entirely convinced about the large-screen Android format yet - which is partly why I bought into a 2nd hand Dell Streak from eBay, that is helping me make up my mind.

I think that the Tab is a highly credible device. The hardware is of a very high quality, although it remains to be seen how robust it is in the hands of the peasants. The back is all plastic and very easily markable. The front is glass of the Gorilla type, very strong. And the spec is expansive. But, and here's the rub, the Android tablet devices are coming out with absolutely nothing specific in the way of apps for it. And if people are of the impression that the bog-standard Android handset apps are going to suffice I do believe that they are going to be in for a bit of a shock, or at least disappointment.

Of course, the standard Android apps will work on the larger screen. But until we see the emergence of "HD" apps that capitalise on the larger screen the experience will not be quite as crisp and shiny as it is on the Apple iPad.

I think I'd like to get hold of a Samsung Galaxy Tab - but I'm not convinced that it is £600 worth of kit. It isn't that good!

paulbds
25th October 2010, 10:13 PM
Well, you could be my double. I also bought a Dell Streak on eBay pending the Galaxy tab release.
I have cheapo 3g o2 contract and works ok in the gadget.
Incidentally I am awaiting for the update from 1.6 but that's another story.

The Android tablet market is certainly hotting up, another candidate I am looking at is the Toshiba Folio but I hear it doesn't have market place although it quit a bit cheaper

Anyway hopefully thing will be a little clearer next week when the tab will be available

I will continue to monitor the reviews

regards

Paul

Ben
25th October 2010, 10:52 PM
Google themselves think 3.0 is really the starting point for Android on tablets, and manufacturers are reportedly holding off big releases until this is available. Are you guys that keen to dabble in Android tablet land that you're jumping the gun to this extent?

Hands0n
26th October 2010, 12:01 AM
Google themselves think 3.0 is really the starting point for Android on tablets, and manufacturers are reportedly holding off big releases until this is available. Are you guys that keen to dabble in Android tablet land that you're jumping the gun to this extent?

The larger [than 3-1/2"] format device is quite a unique experience. At the Dell's 5" it is neither impractically large nor too small to use as a tablet. Alongside the iPad's 10" of course things are very different. But then I wouldn't want to hold a phone call with an iPad! The Dell (and the likes of the Galaxy Tab, even at 7") will fill the gap nicely. And I believe such a gap exists, as do the manufacturers.

I'm not sold on the Android "tabs" that are not also mobile phone devices.

Well, you could be my double. I also bought a Dell Streak on eBay pending the Galaxy tab release.
I have cheapo 3g o2 contract and works ok in the gadget.
Incidentally I am awaiting for the update from 1.6 but that's another story.

The Android tablet market is certainly hotting up, another candidate I am looking at is the Toshiba Folio but I hear it doesn't have market place although it quit a bit cheaper

Anyway hopefully thing will be a little clearer next week when the tab will be available

I will continue to monitor the reviews

regards

Paul

Paul, there will not be an Android 2.1 release for the Dell Streak. What was there previously was pulled because it was so problematic. The irony is as a simple update OTA would have solved the problem as it was essentially one single incorrectly set parameter in build.prop that was at fault. It is so well documented on the forums like Modaco [and latterly on here] that Dell have really shot themselves in the foot and lost some considerable goodwill by not fixing it for the masses who will not be able to, nor want to, root their Streak devices.

The story now is that Dell will release Froyo (Android 2.2) before the end of 2010, having completely eschewed Eclair (Android 2.1). If that were not to be the case my strong advice would be to root using Universal Androot, edit the build.prop file and live happily ever after :D Dell, however, are being completely cagey about when they will release Froyo, but there are only ten more weeks to this year, so not too long to wait it out.

miffed
26th October 2010, 07:13 AM
Do either of you guys (after a little use) still consider the Streak to be a tablet ?

Being a fan of larger screened devices anyway , I feel it is simply a phone (a large one , obviously !) ... I'd say my "sweet spot" for screen size is around 4" , so the streak is not really a lot bigger than that at 5"

For me it fits neatly in the "Phone" bracket , in fact I'd say the screen size makes it the perfect phone for me , and for mobile web use / email etc.
Any bigger , mind (as per Galaxy Tab) , and it looses the "phone" form factor for me - and must move up a weight class and fight the iPad ! thats the problem as I see it , the streak fights at the top of its weight class (i.e. Phones ) , whereas the Tab comes in at the bottom of Tablets ... If you are moving out of the Phone class , then there is no gain in having a smaller screen / form factor IMO.

The biggest worry is , mentioned , is that Google have gone on record to tell manufacturers NOT to use anything

Ben
26th October 2010, 11:57 AM
Do either of you guys (after a little use) still consider the Streak to be a tablet ?
Even having not used a Streak I don't consider it a tablet, no.

I don't see how the Android experience on the Galaxy Tab is going to be worthwhile. Not at that price! And not when we'll shortly have 4.2 on the iPad, at long, long last.

Hands0n
26th October 2010, 08:19 PM
I think it is best to consider the Streak a hybrid. It is a phone, without doubt, but it also is a rather small tablet inasmuch as the screen size allows for a lot more flexibility. Having use of the iPad and the Streak I do feel that there are many similarities between the two formats. But as miffed says, the iPad and the Tab are well on the tablet side of the fence. Not so the Streak.

paulbds
31st October 2010, 09:45 PM
Well, a quick update.
Still waiting for the Galaxy Tab to be released tomorrow and I will see what happens to the price......anyway, I noticed that Elonex had 7inch and 10 inch Android tablets for sale in ToysR Us for £90 and £150 respectively

Now it's a while since I needed to enter a ToysRus store but i called in at the Chester branch this evening after a trip to Manchester.

Fortunately my other half wasn't with me so i called in to inspect. Although they didn't have any in stock, i took the plunge and have one on back order.
I know it's not a patch on the iPad but it will make a dam good present for my eldest lad.
With his Thee MIFi device he can use it quite nicely in London and when travelling.

Alos, good thing is, if I don't like it I can return within 28 days and get a refund
The 7 inch version has 1.6 while the 10 inch version has 2.1. Don't think they have GPS but that does not really bother at this stage

Anyone tried one yet????

Paul:D

chaslam
31st October 2010, 10:44 PM
Just to let everyone know, if you have a Dixons retail store near you (Currys or PCW) you should be able to see a selection of tablets, including the Galaxy S, toshiba folio and a variety of Advent models from the 3rd or 4th of Nov, from varying prices. We should get them in on wednesday and cant wait to have a play around with one.

Ben
1st November 2010, 11:37 AM
Good tip; I'll try and get myself into town to get some hands-on time.

Remembering the alcohol hand gel, obviously :D

Hands0n
1st November 2010, 05:01 PM
.....anyway, I noticed that Elonex had 7inch and 10 inch Android tablets for sale in ToysR Us for £90 and £150 respectively

Anyone tried one yet????

No, not yet. But I have been reading up on these extreme budget range devices. They mostly seem to originate from the same small set of manufacturers. They all, it seems, are of the resistive screen type where a stylus may be better than a blunt finger :) But then again, Android is designed for finger poking and so that may well not be such a problem. Although I really do not like resistive touch screens myself. But that is a personal preference thing.

I am sure that I have seen some of these (possibly the one being branded by clothing chain Next) sporting GPS. Coupled with something like a MiFi - now available from two other networks than Three - these budget tablets might just make for a decent device to chuck in the car. I'd imagine that SatNav on one of these is going to be an awesome viewing experience [for the passengers of course] if the GPS works okay.

As to the Samsung Galaxy Tab - my views on Samsung's build quality persist. I do have strong reservations as to the amount of plastic they use in the casing making for something that is going to look shabby very quickly. At the rumoured cost of the Galaxy Tab I do think that Samsung should have used metal. But having played with one for about ten minutes at a Three event recently I think that people will not be disappointed with the larger format Android. Functionally, it was very sound.

chaslam
3rd November 2010, 08:39 PM
I used one of these briefly today. I have to say it looks very nice, although feels a bit plasticy, and if your used to an ipad, The screen looks alot lower resolution from what ive used so far. Literally only used it for 2 minutes, but will have a better play tomorrow at work.

Ben
4th November 2010, 12:46 PM
Cool, looking forward to that!

chaslam
4th November 2010, 10:01 PM
Used one a bit more extensively today, and have to say, its really nice. Its a great size, just that smaller then the ipad to make it just that bit more portable. Screen is great, really responsive. Its light but feels well built. Really easy to use and navigate, swype works really well, as does the 3G connection. And, you can use it as a phone if you want to! They have really got everything that people moaned about in the ipad and made it better.

Hands0n
4th November 2010, 11:01 PM
So, having had a play with the Apple iPad and Galaxy Tab, is it worth the money at £599?

I had about five minutes with one recently before it came out on general release. I thought that the physical format was very good in terms of size and all that it does. That pretty much spurred me on to pickup a nearly new Dell Streak which, at 5", is a couple of inches smaller but gives a good idea of Android on a larger format.

There has been a lot of criticism, mainly by Google it seems, about using Android [less than 3.0] on anything but a mobile phone. Not that it has stopped the manufacturers from producing such kit. No access to Android Market also in some cases - although that is probably something that is not too difficult if you've rooted it.

The mobile network operators seem to have some curious tariffs to support the new Galaxy Tab. :)

The Mullet of G
5th November 2010, 01:14 AM
The thing that surprises me most about the Tab is the price, if Samsung had managed to roll it out for a £100 or so less than the cheapest iPad, then it would have made sense, but £600 is crazy.

Ben
5th November 2010, 10:53 AM
It's definitely priced wrong... but I haven't seen one of these yet so, who knows, maybe it's one of those rare stand-out products that justifies its price and consumers will lap it up regardless.

I don't think it is, though.

I'm going to confound expectations and state my belief that 10" is probably the form-factor for tablets. Perhaps smaller sizes for 'mobile internet devices', but I simply wouldn't use my iPad if it were any smaller. It's just big enough to be useful.

hecatae
5th November 2010, 01:21 PM
cpw are doing it for £529.99 stand alone or £499.99 with a 30 day £10 rolling contract

though the http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/laptop-redirect/samsung-galaxy-tab 24 month contract price is a joke

Ben
5th November 2010, 03:16 PM
Trusted Reviews say no, no, no: http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2010/11/05/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab/p1

Again, I haven't used one, but the review reads as I'd expect the experience to be.

I wonder if Samsung will release Android 3.0 for it?

I agree with some of the commenters - HTC may well come up with something much better given the 'praise' for Sense.

The Mullet of G
5th November 2010, 05:56 PM
Trusted Reviews say no, no, no: http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2010/11/05/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab/p1

Again, I haven't used one, but the review reads as I'd expect the experience to be.

I wonder if Samsung will release Android 3.0 for it?

I agree with some of the commenters - HTC may well come up with something much better given the 'praise' for Sense.

I'm not so convinced by HTC, having used the Desire HD I personally wouldn't be in any rush to buy an HTC tablet, as a lot of the stuff in that Tab review sounded familiar.

Surely Samsung has to release 3.0 for the Tab, but at the same time haven't they got a history of holding back updates on pretty much every platform they've ever used? This could be interesting.

chaslam
6th November 2010, 02:32 PM
Dunno where you guys have got £599 from, but at work we are selling it for £499 unconnected?! We also got the toshiba folio, which is £329, but to be honest, I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole. Its hideous.

Hands0n
6th November 2010, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, now you mention it ... neither do I. I have a recollection of seeing that £599 tag somewhere but it could have been a preview price... Although, that said, doing a quick Google Shopping search shows Play.com banging them out for £599 and there's a lot worse too http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=samsung+galaxy+tab&hl=en&aq=f

So maybe your sales group just have a much better price that what appears to be the norm?

miffed
6th November 2010, 07:18 PM
TBH I quite liked the look of the Tab , but now I have seen one in the flesh (allbeit a dummy ) I am 100% sure it is a "no" from me !

No way around it , it is too small , it doesn't feel like something "a bit" smaller than the iPad, it feels like half the size (or less)

I don't see any screen size advantage over the Dell Streak , but the bezel makes it too big to be pocketable.

It was a hot subject of debate as to whether or not there was a big enough gap between smartphone and laptop for the iPad .... so whether there is a gap between the smartphone and the iPad seems very unlikely !!

People might like this device , but it simply is not in the same class as the iPad (I mean form , not quality)

Hands0n
6th November 2010, 07:46 PM
I would like to carry a Samsung Tab around for a day or two to use as it is seemingly intended, Internet, Phone etc. My few minutes fondling at a recent Three event was not conclusive, although I did like the look and feel - but am highly suspicious about the durability and longevity of Samsung plastic, with which the Tab is copiously encased.

miffed
11th November 2010, 06:32 PM
OK , now I have seen one of these , and had a quick play , I am really struggling to understand where the advantages are over my 5" Dell streak , and also how come everyone is jumping up and down about the Galaxy Tab , but hardly anyone is interested in the streak ?

I feel the Tab takes up quite a bit more space , to deliver only slightly more screen space - The streak feels better quality , better to hold , snappier to use (at least my Froyo version is ) , looks better , Camera is better specced ( not that Cameras normally bother me ) , was cheaper .

Is it ALL simply about the Badge ? I have to admit , fire the question "Dell or Samsung" at me , and I'd reply Samsung without even thinking !! - But it makes me laugh when people are referring to how great and revolutionary this "first" Android Tablet is !!

Yeah , OK I have said myself that the Streak falls into my own "smartphone" category , whereas the Tab is a Tablet , but realistically there is very little in the screensize IMO .
I know we have a couple of Streak users on here , what do you think ?

Hands0n
11th November 2010, 08:54 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Dell Streak? I'm inclined to go with Miffed on this one. The Dell Streak is a beauty, very not-Dell really.

The slimline shape of the Streak makes it very pocketable indeed, whereas the Tab is a bit of a lump and feels it too. But I do think that Samsung do have brand name to rest back upon whereas Dell is not exactly known for its mobile devices. They really have not made much of a push to promote the device other than sell through O2 exclusively. They should have gone out of their way to commoditise the device through all of the UK networks! Instead they trusted O2 who have effectively buried it. I'll bet Dell are kicking themselves now.

Tab vs Streak? I'd go for the Streak really.

Ben
12th November 2010, 09:26 AM
Must just be me, but even after all the dirt the Dell brand has been dragged through over the last decade I'd still rate Dell above Samsung if I was buying like-for-like.

From what I've gleamed about the Tab around the 'net, people were excited about it until they saw the price.

I was curious until I played with one. It's not just the screen size I didn't like, but it seems too long and thin. I guess the biggest problem is that I'd have absolutely zero use for a Tab.

hecatae
25th January 2011, 03:14 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab £359.20 http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-9724.aspx

hecatae
24th March 2011, 12:22 PM
Asda now selling for £299

how long before BOGOF

Hands0n
24th March 2011, 08:46 PM
Excellent. That signals that it is time to avoid the device like the plague :)

Ben
25th March 2011, 01:44 AM
Excellent. That signals that it is time to avoid the device like the plague :)
Funny, we've gone from "Maybe if it was sub-£xxx" to "Ok, now it's so cheap it's clearly crap!"

Thing is, sorry, but at £299 it still makes the £399 iPad 2 look like incredible value!

3GScottishUser
25th March 2011, 08:21 AM
Once again I think a major point has been overlooked.

The Galaxy Tab range all have integrated 900/2100Mhz 3G as well as Wi-Fi so they have mobile phone functionality which is not available on the cheapest iPads. An important factor if you want something to use on the move!

OK it's bigger and has a better technical spec but the least expensive iPad2 with 3G on-board is £499 - £200 more than the Galaxy Tab.

Samsung are obviously clearing stock to make way for their new slimmer dual core range of Tabs due in May/June but at £299 for the occasional user the 7" Tab might be a worthwhile buy.

The new slimmer 8.9 and revised 10.1 Tabs have been unvieled and the specs can be checked out here: http://www.mobilegazette.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-89-101-11x03x22.htm

miffed
25th March 2011, 08:29 AM
As a real deal finisher , Samsung should throw in all 16 Available Honeycomb apps !

hecatae
25th March 2011, 02:27 PM
http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-slates/galaxy-tab-will-have-gingerbread-and-honeycomb-updates/

If anyone has been deferring on their purchase of the Samsung Galaxy Tab for fear of inadequate OS support when future Android updates come in, well here it is. Samsung India has confirmed the 7 inch tablet will support not only the forthcoming Android 2.3 tentatively called Gingerbread, but it will also receive upgrades to Android 3.0 codenamed Honeycomb.

Google had earlier warned manufacturers against using the Android 2.2 Froyo, citing the particular version was not prepared for use in a tablet like device, something that the future Android versions, namely Gingerbread and Honeycomb will deal adequately. And now, with the assurance coming from Samsung India, none should harbor the least doubt of the Galaxy Tab’s ability to accept the future Android version that promises to make tablet operation even more of a pleasure.

There is no word though either from Google or Samsung as to when one can expect the next Android versions to hit markets.

Hands0n
25th March 2011, 09:06 PM
I am highly sceptical of Samsung, their track record is not good. The article above leaves me with no further comfort other than it may be a bit of spin. Why, for instance, would Samsung even bother with Gingerbread for the "old" Galaxy Tab? Why wouldn't it just go to Honeycomb in one jump, there is no need or requirement to step through Gingerbread to get there.

No, I'll believe Samsung when they put their money on the table.

At £599 the Galaxy Tab was horrendously overpriced. At £299 it is okay, but is completely end of life so why would anyone pay for what is essentially obsolete technology which, at £299, is once again a premium price.

Seriously, if you want a phone the size of a barge, and I mean that the Galaxy Tab is nowhere near as svelte as the 5" Dell Streak then the Tab is the one for you. It is like a brick, I've held and used one for a while and wasn't impressed after the first five minutes. The Dell Streak has me coming back for more, it is slick, quick and fits all but the change pocket of my jeans.

The Galaxy Tab has had it - and Samsung know it. They didn't shift too many and there is stock all over the place. I can see these being given away free with airtime, or perhaps with a packet of Corn Flakes.

3GScottishUser
25th March 2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not convinced the whole tablet business is anything more than a fad that will be fairly short lived for all the manufacturers.

A 10" tablet is not much better for travel than a slim laptop so it's niche is as an Internet device and for that to be worthwhile it has to have a mobile Internet facility as well as Wi-Fi.

Mobiles with 4" screens are perhaps just too small to be practical as browsers for proper Internet use and are not great for e-book reading.

The 7-8" tablet could be the compromise that makes a tablet a worthwhile choice. Ideal for e-book reading, big enough to make browsing worthwhile and highly portable.

Motorola, HTC, Huawei, ZTE, Samsung and LG are all working on these types of devices so there should be plenty of choice later this year.

I suppose once the novelty factor of the current range of tablets expires folks will buy on the basis of need and when that happens the landscape of the tablet market could change dramatically.

Hands0n
25th March 2011, 11:31 PM
I'm not convinced of that. With a 9-month sales volume of 15 million it is extremely unlikely that we are seeing a "fad". People have taken to the device. So the question is whether or not people will take to Android in its new clothes, Honeycomb. Maybe they will.

Certainly the all-out "I hate anything and everything Apple" camp will gravitate to absolutely anything but. Tales of people buying the original Galaxy Tab, facing bitter disappointment, and then selling the thing on eBay are legend. As are tales of warehouses full of the unsold things.

The thing that makes the iPad (as indeed the iPhone) quite so popular is the huge number of apps. There has literally got to be an app in existence for every imaginable purpose. And it is apps that takes the user away from using the iPad as merely yet another web access device.

I think 3GSU is right - the landscape will likely change once the 2011 range of tablet devices has had a chance to be in peoples hands. My prediction is that there will be a gravitation towards Apple iOS tabs as people realise that the anarchic Android ecosystem is not quite what it is cracked up to be. You may get away with it on mobile phones, but tablet devices are quite subtly different. And Apple know that, which is why the iPad 2 is not an oversized iPhone. HP seem to understand that also, and I do suspect that they will do comparatively well to any single Android tablet manufacturer.

Meanwhile, the iPad will sell above the 15 million it already has.