View Full Version : Box breakers force out Moto C975

3GScottishUser
17th June 2005, 01:46 PM
Box breakers force out Moto C975

3 has suspended sales of the Motorola C975 from its handset range after realising the phone was being targeted by box breakers in stores such as Argos and Woolworths.

3 and Motorola have been working to fix the handset’s vulnerability and shore up the software’s security in order to get supplies back into shops.

It means that throughout June and some of July, 3’s prepay range will have a gap, leaving the NEC e338 as the only option for consumers looking for a handset on ThreePay.

There is no ready replacement in 3’s handset portfolio to fill the gap left by the C975 as an ultra low-cost prepay offer. 3 still plans to have the C975 (pictured right) as its main prepay handset for the rest of the summer.

Motorola’s entry-level 3G candybar handset has been targeted by box breakers because of the significant gulf between 3’s prepay price (£50) and the trade price in the open market of between £70 and £75. Demand has stemmed largely from China, with virtually all box-split C975s bought by importers in Hong Kong.

Software on Motorola devices had been seen as tougher to crack than on other 3G handsets up until now, leaving them less vulnerable than phones made by NEC and LG.

A spokesman for 3 confirmed that the operator was working to resolve the issue, adding: ‘We’re aware that from time to time the algorithms on handsets can be unlocked. Motorola is obviously one of our handset suppliers and is constantly fighting this battle.’
3 was previously a victim of box breaking with the NEC e616v, which was targeted over Christmas last year.

A spokesman for Motorola claimed the problem had been fixed, with 20,000 units shipped to 3 earlier this week.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_466.shtml

chaslam
17th June 2005, 03:31 PM
This is not what I heard at all. What I heard from three is that they are taking the C975 off the market to release a new one, the C975i. The new C975 will have more memory and more features than the C975. Not because of box breakers, but because of the memory and features (more like non features) of the C975.

3GScottishUser
17th June 2005, 06:39 PM
It has a reasonable amont of memory which can be expanded with Transflash. What do folk expect for £49! I suspect the article is pretty accurate and that many of these have been exported to other markets at a profit.

Hands0n
17th June 2005, 10:00 PM
I can't believe how much these are going for on eBay - one "new" and unlocked is over £69! Simlocked to 3 they are going at shop prices! How very odd.

3GScottishUser
18th June 2005, 06:02 AM
Amazing what some will pay for junk.

Oh Well...

Jon3G
20th June 2005, 04:25 PM
This is not what I heard at all. What I heard from three is that they are taking the C975 off the market to release a new one, the C975i. The new C975 will have more memory and more features than the C975. Not because of box breakers, but because of the memory and features (more like non features) of the C975.

Do you really thing 3 would remove a phone just to let the door open for a new one. It would cost them alot to do that and not very good PR

Ben
20th June 2005, 05:49 PM
Actually that's a very good point... when you've got a new phone coming out you push out your existing stocks as quickly as you can, rather than the other way around.

Perhaps i stands, in this case, for impossible to unlock ;)

Jon3G
20th June 2005, 05:58 PM
you would not remove it from stores and recall handsets. The idea solution if a replacement was on the would be to drop the price, not just pull stock

chaslam
21st June 2005, 11:50 AM
It doesnt say that they have pulled them off the shelves, it just says that they have stopped sales. Anyway I am not saying that this is the case, this is just what I heard.

Hands0n
21st June 2005, 06:04 PM
Perhaps i stands, in this case, for impossible to unlock ;)

Oooooh, now there's a challenge :) I think that unless they're burning stuff into ROM the unlock sequence will be cracked in days/weeks.

It really amuses me that rather than respond to a market (i.e. Far East) manufacturers still insist on trying to control or restrict it! And an American outfit at that!! How very European of them :D

3GScottishUser
21st June 2005, 08:13 PM
It's unlockable for sure. It shares the same platform as the a-835 and the algorithm for codes is available and it appears 1000's of (less than decent) c975's have been bought over the counter (and passed on by unscruplious dealers) to 3rd partiies who shift them as up market GSM camera phones abroad.

Same thing happened with the Nokia 7600 and the Motorola a-835, depriving 3 UK of any revenue for their £150 investment.

Not a happy story really for 3.