View Full Version : iOS 4.1 - Its here on 08/09/10

Hands0n
8th September 2010, 09:40 PM
Bang on time, Pacific time that is, Apple released iOS 4.1 update to the world. I finally managed to get to my Mac at 8:30pm to perform the update, and it was a piece of cake. Dinner was on the table so I started the update off and went to feast. About 30 minutes later I returned and it was all done. The iPhone 4 was updated to iOS 4.1 completely unattended and without any fuss whatsoever. The usual Apple fuss-free, plug n play, means of doing things. They have this completely sussed out.

Coincidentally, my lad received his HTC Desire on the Vodafone network from P4U and after dinner we started setting that up. It arrived with Android 2.1 (Cupcake) with the Vodafone 360 updates on it. Very soon after being set up with the Google account it prompted to OTA update the handset to Froyo Android 2.2. The OTA download took about ten minutes and then it prompted us to perform the update, which we had to click on OK for it to happen. Then the handset "did stuff" and rebooted twice, once for the radio and once for the main operating system. Then having completely updated it was necessary for my lad to log in again to Google so that the handset would sync up with the Google Contacts, Calendar, Mail etc. Not a procedure possible unattended.

I will not bother going into what is available on iOS 4.1, that is more than adequately covered in every single corner of the Internet. But what is 4.1 like?

Well, it is completely like all the iOS that went before it in terms of look and feel. Consistency is Apple's byword obviously. The only visible difference on the home screen is the Game Centre app. I can't say too much about it as there aren't any games to be had just yet. But I tried to friend up on it with Nicky Colman but he didn't get my friend request. He tried to friend up with me and his request to me came through immediately. Very strange, but this is the first few hours of the Game Centre being available and on-line.

The feature that I was most looking forward to is HDR on the new camera app in iOS 4.1. It is night time and so hard to find a high contrast image to take. I tried it out on a standard lamp in the lounge, there was a lot of flare form the bulb and deep dark contrasts elsewhere. HDR was able to resolve the image perfectly. I can't wait to try it outside in daylight.

What else is there? Well, I do think that the OS has a somewhat slicker feel to it. In 4.0 it was a bit laggy at times, especially when starting up new apps, or switching to a backgrounded app, particularly when entering text. That seems to be completely gone now. Everything is smooth as silk.

A very worthwhile update to the iPhone. If you haven't done it yet then get on with it. You don't know what you're missing.

Hands0n
8th September 2010, 09:59 PM
HowTo: Game Center notification sounds.

I am prompted to pop this little helpful note by a Twitter mate who was being driven insane by the constant notification sound (a trumpet) in Game Centre.

To turn off the notification sounds, from the home screen tap Settings, Notifications, Game Centre and turn off Sounds.

From the same screen you can also turn off (or on) Alerts and Badges.

DBMandrake
9th September 2010, 08:29 AM
Has anyone else noticed field test mode (suspiciously absent in 4.0 - 4.0.2) has returned in 4.1 ? It's still neutered compared to the one in iOS 3.1.3 and earlier which gave tons of technical debugging information - this new version only enables the numeric signal reading. Make what you will of that.... ;)

To access, call *3001#12345#* in the phone app. (You have to dial it manually, you can't add a contact for it)

So all you iPhone 4 users - with the phone lying on a desk with no case, how much does the signal reading change by placing one finger firmly across the bottom left "sensitive spot" ? :)

(Remember there is a long delay in the reading changing when the signal changes - up to 30 seconds on iOS 4.x, so give it time for a change to register)

The Mullet of G
9th September 2010, 03:41 PM
My update to 4.1 went fairly smoothly, but this wasn't the case for everyone. My mate had all sorts of problems trying to update his iPhone 4, upon searching google he found he wasn't alone, so I wouldn't conclude that Apples update service is exactly fuss-free.

As my iPhone 4 was jail-broken I had to do a restore, this is where Apples slickness falls to pieces and turns into an overly long and boring process of waiting for it to sync 20+ GB of data back to my device, seriously why bother deleting all of my music and videos to then send them back again, it makes no sense.

As to iOS 4.1, yeah its not to bad, HDR is a much appreciated addition and means I no longer have to use a 3rd party app, overall though I still think iOS needs some work as it still stutters at times without having anything running in the background.

Game Center is ok, but kinda feels like a poor mans version of Xbox Live, it also reminds me of Ping in the sense it has potential but fails due to poor execution, why should I wait till devs update games to support Game Center, its up to Apple to make Game Center work with the available games, doing it the other way around is kinda dumb.

Ben
10th September 2010, 12:04 AM
I might try and sneak the upgrade tomorrow, otherwise it'll have to wait. Damn not having my Mac mini here!

Interesting that performance seems to have improved. Apple tend to do this quite frequently... they'll push ahead with something that needs refinement, and then refine it and refine it in each subsequent release. Just when you end up with the 'perfect' product (and people start to get bored), they unleash another half baked product ;) I call upon every version of OS X 10.x.0 as my evidence, not to mention all the versions of iOS x.0!

The Mullet of G
10th September 2010, 02:42 AM
Mine seems to be running smoother now, must have needed a few hours to get into its stride. I agree on the Apple half baked approach, but I guess it always gives them room to improve with updates which is always good.

It has to be said the implementation of HDR is frankly slick and makes the 3rd party apps look silly, it always puzzled me why Apple didn't add some sort of smile or blink detection or even basic face detection, I suppose with touch to focus its maybe not so important, but would still be nice.

I also expect that Ping will mature into a decent service once it starts interfacing more with your iTunes library, letting people know which tracks you are actually listening to often and not just ones you have bought or rated. :)

Hands0n
10th September 2010, 11:51 PM
... the Apple half baked approach...

This will be Apple's use of the Agile development methodology

Agile software development is a group of software development methodologies based on iterative and incremental development, where requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing, cross-functional teams.

URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

I work in a "development shop" that uses Agile and it certainly took some getting used to, coming from more traditional methodologies. With Agile, a certain level of functionality is developed and released - the whole application appearing "half baked" to the uninitiated. But it is a rapid route to market. Then through successive "iterations" the application is fleshed out with more functionality and improvements.

What we have seen since iOS 1.0 is a continual development of the OS using the Agile methodology to reach the standard that it is today.

Many (most?) large software development now follows Agile - whichever one they choose, there are several variants.

The Mullet of G
11th September 2010, 03:16 PM
This will be Apple's use of the Agile development methodology

I work in a "development shop" that uses Agile and it certainly took some getting used to, coming from more traditional methodologies. With Agile, a certain level of functionality is developed and released - the whole application appearing "half baked" to the uninitiated. But it is a rapid route to market. Then through successive "iterations" the application is fleshed out with more functionality and improvements.

What we have seen since iOS 1.0 is a continual development of the OS using the Agile methodology to reach the standard that it is today.

Many (most?) large software development now follows Agile - whichever one they choose, there are several variants.

I've worked for several companies that all used varying methodologies, and it never ceased to entertain me. When you cut through all the hot air and snappy sounding names its just the same old guff that companies have been doing since the year dot, but now it has a positive and catchy sounding name.

No longer is a company simply rolling out a half baked product and later patching it, they are being Agile™ which is totally different but much the same if that makes sense... :)

Hands0n
11th September 2010, 04:40 PM
LOL :) Agile is really quite different from the incumbent "waterfall" method. It was taken from the automotive industry and has a lot of merit. Waterfall and Agile are two opposite ends of the spectrum though, I have to say. It is a very rapid route to market and the so-called half-baked approach is but the early release of core functionality and with a definite roadmap to the completed product.

Where I am we release new production code each month based upon two iterations of development. The speed at which it enables the company to bring a new product to market is breathtakingly rapid. I've not seen Waterfall get close.