View Full Version : 3G - two steps forward, one back?

davidlove
17th June 2005, 02:28 PM
I use my 6680 with UK Voda.

If I'm outside a 3G area and open an email with a URL, selecting it opens the WAP browser and points to the selected page.

If I'm in a 3G area and do the same thing, it fails to make a connection.

The reason (confirmed by Voda CS) is that 2G allows two concurrent connections whereas 3G only allows one. And of course the WAP access point is different from the mail one.

Two Q's - (1) is this just Voda or do you Orange users out there have the same problem?

And (2) - is there a way to make the non-WAP Opera, for example, the default browser?

TIA.

Ben
17th June 2005, 03:22 PM
1) That's just Voda! My 6680 on Orange 3G can handle a few different access points at once it would seem, and handle voice calls too. It wasn't like that to start with, but earlier I was using Orange Internet, Orange GPRS WAP, and made a voice call too!On the other hand, in 2G coverage, it can only do one thing at a time.

2) Can't you change the access point your browser is using to be the same as the one you're using for email?

davidlove
18th June 2005, 10:33 PM
Have Orange supplied new settings since you got the phone, Ben? Sounds like your original settings were similar to Voda's.

I tried the WAP browser with "internet" access point settings rather than "wap" but it didn't like it.

Strange that you were restricted to one connection on 2G but multiple on 3G, Voda is the other way round.

BTW Voda CS told me the reason for the restriction was "network capacity". Short of 3G capacity? Already? Heaven help us if CPW are right and 3G phones are "flying off the shelves".

Ben
19th June 2005, 11:08 AM
No new settings no, but AFAIK the ability to 'multitask' connections on a handset is network-dependent - so it really depends how Vodafone are set up. Even if I send a text while connected to GPRS on 2G with Orange a line appears through my data connection icon to show it's not active/available - but I love how they have 3G set up to be so flexible, it really allows me to get the most out of the 6680.

That network capacity line sounds like a fob off :(