View Full Version : Dell Streak to get Froyo (Android 2.2) by end 2010 - Its Official

Hands0n
15th October 2010, 09:56 AM
Well, this is good news to read. No certainty after Froyo but what the heck. That release of Android is a significant uplift on Eclair (2.1). The JIT compiler improvement alone is worth the update.

Dell has today reaffirmed the fact that they plan to push Android 2.2 to all Streak handsets before years end. They will no longer be pushing out 2.1 updates to focus on Froyo. This is good news if you have gotten their 2.1 update, but they will push the update to no further customers via OTA. Dell says that the 2.2 OTA target date is set as ”much sooner” then December 31st. Read Dells statement below:

“Due to resources and commitments to get our global customers the 2.2/Froyo update by the end of the year, we will not be publishing another version of 2.1 nor will we be pushing out 2.1 to additional customers.

I know many of you have requested that we publish specific dates for Android OS updates; however, because there are so many variables (some outside of our control), we cannot make a specific commitment other than we will be publishing 2.2 by the end of this year to all of ourDell Streak customers. I can tell you that our target date is NOT December 31st. In fact, the over-the-air update to 2.2 is target date is much sooner than that.”

Source: http://androidheadlines.com/2010/10/dell-streak-to-get-froyo-by-2010s-end.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Androidheadlinescom+%28Androi dHeadlines.com%29

miffed
15th October 2010, 11:51 AM
Hmm , too little too late IMO
VERY happy with the Vanilla Froyo I am currently running thanks as it's far more stable than either of the official releases !

Ben
15th October 2010, 02:11 PM
Oh, this new breed of mobile that requires OS updates is going to be all sorts of hell for the manufacturers! :D

Hands0n
15th November 2010, 08:06 PM
Ooooh! Something is in the air :) http://yfrog.com/jpmuapp

miffed
15th November 2010, 09:49 PM
Grrrrr ..... Looks like it is just for SIM free Streaks , the rest of us are at the mercy of o2 now :(

Hands0n
16th November 2010, 06:53 AM
I have been reading that the expectation is that O2 will get it saw time. But nothing from Dell or O2 on that position.

Maybe O2 can make sure not to screw this release up. Its pitiful that they never fixed 2.1 considering how simple it was to do so!