View Full Version : Are Apple trying to kill the SIM card?

Ben
29th October 2010, 12:07 PM
It certainly looks that way (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/29/multi_network_iphone_buzz/).

The article seems a bit confused. There's one clear outcome to me; Apple don't want SIM cards in their devices, they want them to be allowed onto networks without the swapping of a physical ID card.

I'd imagine this would work by giving an ID to the operator of choice when getting the handset connected. Perhaps if this ID is set up on multiple networks the handset will be able to connect to any of them, but I have no idea.

With the micro SIM effectively preventing easy SIM-swapping anyway, an integrated SIM wouldn't be much more of an ask. So long as changing networks is easier, not harder; and some may argue that by requiring users to interact with the network first, rather than just swapping a bit of plastic over, it'll actually become more difficult to switch. What of roaming SIMs, for example? Low cost international calling SIMs? Will such services be given access to the technology necessary to allow the iPhone to connect?

I think it could be an amazing idea if it means that I could, say, have a contract on Three and a contract on Vodafone and choose between them on the device. For 99% of people, though, it'd just take the physical SIM stage out of the process.

Pros and cons. Pros and cons.

The Mullet of G
1st November 2010, 02:54 PM
I think there are definitely advantages and disadvantages to both sides of this, my only fear is that in the hands of Apple and the networks it'll create more of a walled garden than we already have. The current push towards 18 and 24 month contracts and Apples past exclusivity in regards to iPhone all ring alarm bells. They aren't the actions of companies promoting freedom of choice.