View Full Version : Latecomer to the iPhone 4 !

miffed
8th November 2010, 09:40 AM
I have finally given in and got an iPhone , I was really adamant that I was going to hold out and go straight for the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it) but I finally gave in last week

This is a recurring situation , I get an Android (or whatever) phone , convince myself it is doing as good a job as the iPhone , then I'll spend a little quality time with iOS (be it the wife's iPhone , my iPad , IPT ...whatever !) and realise that this simply isn't the case - Much as Android etc is "good" and better than anything else out there , it is still nowhere near the iPhone exoerience !

I absolutely loved my Dell Streak , Great little (well big) phone - but running 1.6 was unbearable , 2.1 brought it up to speed , but I had some problems with being unable to answer calls - again , 2.2 makes for a lovely device , but the bug that finally broke the camels back was a problem ending calls (dropping the battery being the only sure way to end a call !) - this is simply too much hassle for me ! , Yeah , maybe if I ran "official" firmware I'd fare better , but If I am honest , the whole experience , while pretty good , is nowhere near that of the iPhone - So here I am .

First iPhone I have ever bought a case and screen protector for on day one ! , the whole idea of glass front and back seems a little fragile to me so I decided better safe than sorry

First impressions ? Heavy / Big !! especially with the case on , it feels like the biggest iPhone of all to me. I realise that it is actually smaller in some dimensions , but it just feels like a bit of a lump to me, this isn't a problem at all , I am coming from a Dell Streak after all.

I do feel like this is a welcome return to the quality of the iPhone 2G though - the 3G & 3GS were horrible and plasticy in comparison .

Android is great , but it is simply swinging from a different tree to iOS , I am asking myself whether it will ever "catch up" ? , as I think the thing that sets iOS apart from the rest is not something that can be quantified by Specs or Technologies , but more about vision and presentation.

Ben
8th November 2010, 12:05 PM
Oh dear, miffed! Well, it's reassuring to hear that after your adventures with other handsets of late you're still able to conclude that the iPhone offers the best experience.

I don't think you'll need screen protectors tbh, but some sort of case is a good idea. I'm back to using mine in it's birthday suit, though, for better or for worse.

miffed
8th November 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah I think after a few weeks I'll give up on the case thing - Every iPhone I have ever had (2G , 3G , 3 x 3GS's) have picked up a few scratches on the screen , not bad ones , no "rainbow" effect or enything , but still upsetting because there was imperfection where there had been perfection !! I took one of the 3GS into a little phone shop and asked him how much to replace the screen and he looked at me like I was mad [:)
Thats not to say I like screen protectors ! I hate the bloody things - I can't get them on without at least on bit of dust getting under them , and then the finished result is a screen that looks worse and feels worse - I'd guess that 90% of all screen protectors I have bought (including 2 full body invisible shields ) have ended up being ripped off and thrown in the bin within the first 24hrs

...And of course , those clever people at Apple have not only put a piece of glass on the front, but one on the back too ! (I'd rather have seen a slab of aluminum , but hey ho )

When I first got the thing , I was scared not only to take it out , but also scared to put it down , really isn't practical ! so I temporarily wedged it into a 3GS case , and went straight out to buy "cotton wool" to wrap it in. I suspect over time it'll prove itself robust enough to survive outside of a case , ....but it's too soon now.

Hands0n
8th November 2010, 09:35 PM
I don't know where to even begin :D So I'll just say "Welcome back sir" :)

I'm going to have to go away and digest this :)

Ben
8th November 2010, 10:33 PM
I haven't had any problems with scratches due to putting mine down on things tbh. The glass is pretty tough... until you drop it :)

That said, I exist in a rather non-abrasive environment, lol. YMMV.