View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Tab - Any Questions?

getti
8th November 2010, 04:47 PM
The team at Vodafone PR have arranged for me to loan a Samsung Galaxy Tab which should either arrive tomorrow or the day after.

I have use for 2 weeks complete with a SIM card so can get the most from the device.

Does anyone have any questions they want to ask for me to look into once it arrives?

Ben
9th November 2010, 11:23 PM
First off, cool, congrats!

I actually played with one this evening in Tesco of all places.

The automatic screen orientation was a bit iffy, typing response became repeatedly sluggish, and the size was... odd. Certainly portable, but is it useful? Only by carrying one for a while would you be able to tell... I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Currently glad of the iPad.

paulbds
20th November 2010, 09:48 PM
Well, tried it, liked it and bought - cost me just over £300 with Tesco vouchers taking £160 off the price)

V E R Y happy with it.

Fits in my brief case, stayed in a hotel last night and really good for checking emails and web sites. Not as big as an iPad ( I don't have one) but easier to boot up than the netbook.

I see the price of the Galaxy Tabs continues to fall and I guess the price will eventually stabilize

Well, need to go and place the Streak on eBay!

Paul

Hands0n
21st November 2010, 12:59 AM
So before it goes :D what do you see as the benefits of the Tab over the Streak? Is it all just down to size (oooh errr) or is there something much more subtle on the go?

Are you using the Streak and now Tab over 3G - which network?

Like you, I have found the iPad amazingly convenient in terms of press the button and just get on with using it. The hassle factor of using one of these devices is extremely low in terms of the thing being ready for use truly "on demand". But then I have found a similar experience with my new MacBook Air - a product that I hated at sight in the first generation model. The newest 2010 model is just so much more together in terms of build - but for me the biggest plus over any laptop I have ever used before is the "instant on" that is apparent. Even joining the network (where it is previously known) is so quick that by the time Safari has launched the Air is connected to the network.

Convenience is what all of these new devices are about - and it is good to see the Tablet format taking off. It is certainly on everyone's lips of late - and Android is going to do no harm in getting the Tablet paradigm firmly planted in people's heads.

My only downer on the Android Tablets right now is that the "ecosystem" is not quite there. Until you've experienced the seamlessness that exists in the Apple ecosystem between Desktop, Laptop, iPad and iPhone it is hard to appreciate the sheer benefit. Out of the box, so to speak, the ecosystem will sync Bookmarks, Calendars, Contacts, Dashboard Widgets, Dock Items, Keychains, Mail Accounts, Mail rules, Signatures, Notes and Preferences - where these are compatible/applicable - across all devices. That level of cross-platform sync has yet to be seen as coherently on any other set of devices.

paulbds
21st November 2010, 05:32 PM
Ok, using O2 network for the Streak. I have a contract for �15/month with a �12.00 cash rebate so monthly cost is only about �3. (3 g/b allowance)

I also use it with the WiFi network at home,

I gave a demo of the Tab to a colleague at work and she was going to get one for her husband for Christmas again using her Tesco vouchers!

I just find the size/form factor of the Tab better than the iPad. I feel it is more private looking at emails and prevent others should surfing on the 10 inch display.

Another option I considered was getting another 12 month pre paid data sim from ebay - I got a couple of these for my kids at university (about �60-70 for a pre-paid data sim with 3g/month)
I will see hat happens with the Streak, ie see if/when it gets the 2.2 Froyo update. THB I liked the Streak and it's a very nice form factor.

Sorry about the rambling, Sunady afternoon with friends around
Paul

Hands0n
21st November 2010, 06:09 PM
Loving that £3/mth for 3GB data allowance :D How'd you get a £12 cash rebate without having a compromising photo of the O2 CEO?

Interesting on the pre paid data SIM from eBay. Do you have any links you can offer? I've been doing a bit of a trawl to see if I can find anything like that but cannot ... Right now I have a £10/mth 30-day SIM with 1GB a month, 100 mins and 3,000 texts. But its just the data that I want and so £60 would be a 50% saving on what I'm paying right now.

paulbds
21st November 2010, 07:47 PM
Hi, This is the place from where I got the £3/month deal

price has crept up slightly - -it's now £4/ month...
here is the link

http://businessmobiles.com/deal_broadband.php

Ref the prepaid mobile bb prepaid sims.the last 2 I bought were on t-Mobile. 3Gb allowance and after you have used that up, you can only surf.
i got these deals as I knew my middle lad would abuse whatever deal I would get!! so I just had to go for the prepay version

here is a link to one I have just seen on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOBILE-BROADBAND-DONGLE-PRE-PAID-04-2011-3-GB-P-Mth-3-/290502181755?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a347837b#ht_500wt_1158

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THREE-3-MOBILE-BROADBAND-SIM-CARD-3GB-DATA-90-DAYS-/140479566834?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item20b53c13f2#ht_2646wt_911

not a great deal around at the moment - -maybe more deals after Christmas

Hope this info helps

Paul

Hands0n
21st November 2010, 11:34 PM
Cool info Paul - These things seem to come and go so quickly. Gotta love those box splitters and SIM shifters :)