View Full Version : Apple struggling in 4th

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 02:50 PM
Looking at the sales figures for last quarter (Q2) it would seem that Apple is struggling to combat Symbian, RIM and Android and finds itself in a lowly 4th place with only a 14% share. It'll be interesting going forward to see if Apple can improve upon that, but with Symbian^3 looming over it and Android busting all sorts of shapes can Apple avoid slipping into the "others" category? discuss. :)

chaslam
10th November 2010, 03:20 PM
to be honest, Apple have done very well considering they really have only 1 handset on the market (well 2 if you count the 3GS) and they have managed 14%. Think how many symbian and android handsets there are in the market, and there are at least 3 or 4 RIM handsets out atm. I dont think its really fair to compare them tbh.

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 03:38 PM
Life isn't fair. I think its interesting that when a set of figures shows Apple being ahead, its perfectly fair, but when the opposite is true people claim its unfair. So basically Apple can never be behind, otherwise its simply down to unfairness. :D

chaslam
10th November 2010, 03:53 PM
In this particular pole, yes thats exactly what I'm saying. If you divided that result to the number of different models actually produces, then you would probably get a more accurate result, if in fact your looking at per manufacturer. You also have to bear in mind the prices etc of the different formats. When you look at symbian and android, there are plenty of cheap phones floating around, which means that they will nearly always be top, where with RIM and iOS they are only ever going to be on the respected devices. Its a really flawed comparison when you think about it carefully. If you put a piece of paper infront of me and said write down the order of popularity of smartphone OS's, thats probably what I would have said, but when you look into it further, it obviously goes alot deeper then that.

Im not saying "Apple can never loose". Of course they can. I just think they have done a great job getting to where they are in the market with just 1 phone, and I don't think anyone can deny that.

Ben
10th November 2010, 04:27 PM
Hey - what's the source of that graph? Oh, and we're at Q3 now ;)

The GSMA has Apple 4th is global MOBILE phone sales, not just smartphones: http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/gartner-mobile-phone-shipments-boosted-by-smartphones-and-white-box-sales

They're definitely ahead of RIM in smartphones.

Look at Nokia's massive drop in share compared to 2009! Daaamn!

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 04:32 PM
The chart shows smartphone market share and Apple are in 4th, whats unfair about that? Should people simply ignore these facts because Apple fans think its unfair? I think not.

What you have here is a chart detailing smartphone market share for the entire world, it isn't claiming to be anything else, hence I don't understand your argument? Had it claimed to be an in depth analysis of smartphone sales factoring in price and other such things, then yes you'd be quite right, but it doesn't. :)

The Mullet of G
10th November 2010, 04:42 PM
Hey - what's the source of that graph? Oh, and we're at Q3 now ;)

The GSMA has Apple 4th is global MOBILE phone sales, not just smartphones: http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/gartner-mobile-phone-shipments-boosted-by-smartphones-and-white-box-sales

They're definitely ahead of RIM in smartphones.

Look at Nokia's massive drop in share compared to 2009! Daaamn!

I did mention that I was discussing Q2, thats why I put it in brackets. :)

That chart you linked to is pretty lol, Nokia's own figures state 110.4 million handsets in Q3 (up 2% year-on-year), with 26.5 million of those being smartphones - up 61% so where are they getting 117 million from? Doesn't bode well for the rest of the figures given. :)

Look at Apples pion sized increase in share compared to 2009 Daaaaaaaaam!!! ;)

Hands0n
10th November 2010, 08:18 PM
I question the emotive word "struggling" that suggests that Apple is having a hard time. Given their profits that would not seem to be the case at all.

But accepting that their market share has fallen in respect to previous sales, 4th place in Q2 could be for any number of reasons. At the end of the day, the figure that counts is the end of Q4 which will show their overall annual performance. It could be better, it could be worse, we can only wait. But it does seem to me to be entirely premature and not a little specious to set up the bunting and street party tables to toast and celebrate Apple's abysmal failure just yet a while.

Android's growth is to be toasted - the OS has done really well in 2010, coming out of almost nowhere after a couple of slow years as it got established. I do think that HTC has had a major part to play in this success. Their devices have been awesome, with each being a real improvement over the previous. Of course, there are lots of other Android manufacturers and more to come. Sales volumes, boosted by Chinese support, is likely to go through the roof. Forget Apple, Android is the one to watch.

getti
10th November 2010, 10:26 PM
You cant compare iPhone sales to Symbian as Symbian have about 100000000 different phones starting from the cheap £10 phones running S40 to the £500 smartphones and also made by various manufacturers.. Why not add up all iPod Touch, iPad and iPod 2G, 3G, 3GS and 4 sales and then compare figures as you are at the moment comparing a single device from 1 manufacturer to an OS which runs on lots of different handsets

The Mullet of G
16th November 2010, 08:15 AM
I question the emotive word "struggling" that suggests that Apple is having a hard time. Given their profits that would not seem to be the case at all.

But accepting that their market share has fallen in respect to previous sales, 4th place in Q2 could be for any number of reasons. At the end of the day, the figure that counts is the end of Q4 which will show their overall annual performance. It could be better, it could be worse, we can only wait. But it does seem to me to be entirely premature and not a little specious to set up the bunting and street party tables to toast and celebrate Apple's abysmal failure just yet a while.

Android's growth is to be toasted - the OS has done really well in 2010, coming out of almost nowhere after a couple of slow years as it got established. I do think that HTC has had a major part to play in this success. Their devices have been awesome, with each being a real improvement over the previous. Of course, there are lots of other Android manufacturers and more to come. Sales volumes, boosted by Chinese support, is likely to go through the roof. Forget Apple, Android is the one to watch.

The same could be said for lambasting the Nokia N8 as being a failure before it even went on sale. I'm just providing an alternative view to the rather slanted one on here. :)

You cant compare iPhone sales to Symbian as Symbian have about 100000000 different phones starting from the cheap £10 phones running S40 to the £500 smartphones and also made by various manufacturers.. Why not add up all iPod Touch, iPad and iPod 2G, 3G, 3GS and 4 sales and then compare figures as you are at the moment comparing a single device from 1 manufacturer to an OS which runs on lots of different handsets

Um can you provide links showing this £10 phone running Symbian? Seriously you rookies need to stop confusing S40 with Symbian and S60 as they are not the same thing, they are very different, I would expect anyone with a shred of knowledge on the subject to know this. And you could add iPod touch and whatever else except none of them fall into the category of "smartphone" really this isn't all that complicated.....is it? :rolleyes: