View Full Version : Windows Phone 7 sales sluggish?

Ben
11th November 2010, 05:46 PM
My favouritest of web rags has picked up on speculation (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/11/windows_phone_7/) that Microsoft has managed to get just 40,000 copies of its new mobile OS out into the wild on launch day in the US.

Now, there's no compelling reason why Windows Phone 7 devices should fly of the shelves particularly briskly, but is this a very early sign of problems in store for Microsoft with its new mobile OS?

miffed
11th November 2010, 06:17 PM
My guess , is that the years and years (perhaps a decade ?) of Windows Mobile devices that , while able to keep geeky types happy , could never cut it in the mainstream have tarnished Microsofts name on this one
OK so we all know WP7 has been built from the ground up and is worth another look , but I wonder if people who don't have a hobbiest interest in this market realise that ?
I have a friend who had an MDA touch (untill I convinced her to get an iPhone) - I recall her throwing the phone several times, and bursting into tears once because she was unable to type out a text message ! when discussing whether to upgrade from her 3GS to an iPhone 4 , I mentioned that other interesting phones were coming up , (the new HTC's , and of course WP7) - as soon as I mentioned Windows she said "No way !! " and I bizarrely found myself trying to convince here that WP7 could be worth a look !!
Why should customers like her assume that Windows Phone 7 is going to be any different from WM5 , 6 , or 6.5 ? , the name certainly suggests to people of that mindset that this is "More of the same" , rather than a fresh start.

Hands0n
11th November 2010, 08:48 PM
It is hardly surprising really. The market for such smartphone devices is now very liquid, the choice is extraordinary, even among single manufacturers like HTC. I noticed this morning, on the commute to work, that Motorola have just brought out a waterproof Android mobile! Now that is a very neat idea that should probably become the standard.

I'm not sure if Microsoft Windows Mobile has such a bad reputation among those who know not very much about such things. There must be a whole generation or two of kids who have never experienced WM6 and for whom WP7 could be appealing. And Microsoft's advertising campaign is interesting, although perhaps not captivating.

So, 40,000 in the US on launch day? That is really not such a good initial sale - I'm sure Palm did better with their Pre (for all the good it did them!). That must be very disappointing for the Microsoft execs. So what went wrong?

My money is on apps and the likes of the Apps store and Market for Apple and Android respectively. What is Microsoft's? Hell, why don't I know? People like apps, a lot. It allows them, for the first time perhaps, to personalise their devices to how they want them to be. I spoke the other day to a nice young lady about what she has on her HTC Desire - all she used was eMail, Web Browser and Facebook - not even Twitter. She was happy, having never been able to do "so much" with her handset before!

So perhaps Microsoft need to plug their ecosystem a bit more, what can I do with that WP7 for real?

3GScottishUser
15th November 2010, 10:04 PM
Orange and others have been struggling to keep up with demand for the HTC models of the Windows 7 Phone.

Microsoft look to have a unique product with some powerful hardware supporters so they should carve out a niche, perhaps a substantial one once folks compare products.

Hands0n
16th November 2010, 07:12 AM
Yes, I reckon a dedicated following will emerge. There will be the predictable howls of derision from those who prefer a more anarchic OS of course.

I quite like the look of the UI but would need a few days with one to make a more objective opinion. I also wonder how agile the development of the OS is going to be. Will it meet the expectations of development and improvement so firmly established by iOS and Android?

I have to say that Microsoft did right to work with HTC. They have turned out some gorgeous hardware for WP7. And I do like how they, as a manufacturer, have become so OS agnostic.

HTC hardware with Microsoft WP7 is a very good recipe for success if Microsoft do this right!